Vegetarianism. Seriously? (A Debate)

Options

Replies

• VegesaurusRex
    VegesaurusRex Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Anatomically and physiologically, people are herbivores.

Or omnivores, depending on whether you believe in them exisiting or not.

Name some omnivores.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Name some omnivores.

Bears.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Name some omnivores.
    Going round in circles I feel. Agree to disagree, no? If I must;
    Bears
    Coati (including aardvarks )
    Hedgehogs
    Opossums
    Pigs
    Primates including Chimpanzees and Humans
    Raccoons
    Rodents, including Chipmunks, Mice, Rats and Squirrels
    Skunks
    Sloths
    Canines including Wolves, Dingoes and Coyotes
    Cassowarys
    Chickens
    Crows
    Turtles
    Piranhas
    Thousands of invertebrate species
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    Omnivores are so designated because of their location and dietary options, not because of their physiology. So-called omnivores can be included on the chart I gave above. Actually, I excluded them because I was anticipating your response:

Facial Muscles
    Carnivore: Reduced to allow wide mouth gape
    Herbivore: Well-developed
    Omnivore: Reduced
    Human: Well-developed

Jaw Type
    Carnivore: Angle not expanded
    Herbivore: Expanded angle
    Omnivore: Angle not expanded
    Human: Expanded angle

Jaw Joint Location
    Carnivore: On same plane as molar teeth
    Herbivore: Above the plane of the molars
    Omnivore: On same plane as molar teeth
    Human: Above the plane of the molars

Jaw Motion
    Carnivore: Shearing; minimal side-to-side motion
    Herbivore: No shear; good side-to-side, front-to-back
    Omnivore: Shearing; minimal side-to-side
    Human: No shear; good side-to-side, front-to-back

Major Jaw Muscles
    Carnivore: Temporalis
    Herbivore: Masseter and pterygoids
    Omnivore: Temporalis
    Human: Masseter and pterygoids

Mouth Opening vs. Head Size
    Carnivore: Large
    Herbivore: Small
    Omnivore: Large
    Human: Small

Teeth (Incisors)
    Carnivore: Short and pointed
    Herbivore: Broad, flattened and spade shaped
    Omnivore: Short and pointed
    Human: Broad, flattened and spade shaped

Teeth (Canines)
    Carnivore: Long, sharp and curved
    Herbivore: Dull and short or long (for defense), or none
    Omnivore: Long, sharp and curved
    Human: Short and blunted

Teeth (Molars)
    Carnivore: Sharp, jagged and blade shaped
    Herbivore: Flattened with cusps vs complex surface
    Omnivore: Sharp blades and/or flattened
    Human: Flattened with nodular cusps

Chewing
    Carnivore: None; swallows food whole
    Herbivore: Extensive chewing necessary
    Omnivore: Swallows food whole and/or simple crushing
    Human: Extensive chewing necessary

Saliva
    Carnivore: No digestive enzymes
    Herbivore: Carbohydrate digesting enzymes
    Omnivore: No digestive enzymes
    Human: Carbohydrate digesting enzymes

Stomach
    Carnivore: Simple
    Herbivore: Simple or multiple chambers
    Omnivore: Simple
    Human: Simple

\Stomach Acidity
    Carnivore: Less than or equal to pH 1 with food in stomach
    Herbivore: pH 4 to 5 with food in stomach
    Omnivore: Less than or equal to pH 1 with food in stomach
    Human: pH 4 to 5 with food in stomach

Stomach Capacity
    Carnivore: 60% to 70% of total volume of digestive tract
    Herbivore: Less than 30% of total volume of digestive tract
    Omnivore: 60% to 70% of total volume of digestive tract
    Human: 21% to 27% of total volume of digestive tract

Length of Small Intestine
    Carnivore: 3 to 6 times body length
    Herbivore: 10 to more than 12 times body length
    Omnivore: 4 to 6 times body length
    Human: 10 to 11 times body length

Colon
    Carnivore: Simple, short and smooth
    Herbivore: Long, complex; may be sacculated
    Omnivore: Simple, short and smooth
    Human: Long, sacculated

Liver
    Carnivore: Can detoxify vitamin A
    Herbivore: Cannot detoxify vitamin A
    Omnivore: Can detoxify vitamin A
    Human: Cannot detoxify vitamin A

Kidneys
    Carnivore: Extremely concentrated urine
    Herbivore: Moderately concentrated urine
    Omnivore: Extremely concentrated urine
    Human: Moderately concentrated urine

Nails
    Carnivore: Sharp claws
    Herbivore: Flattened nails or blunt hooves
    Omnivore: Sharp claws
    Human: Flattened nails
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    Apparently, crushing your attempt to prove that "yours is really as big as mine" was either overlooked or misunderstood.

I'll type more slowly this time...
    I come back to this board periodically, and I just noticed two things with this post:
    Yes. We noticed. Because you're desperately insecure and suffering from the worst case of eLittleMan Syndrome, ever. Buckle-in Cupcake, this is going to sting a bit.
    1. The dude who started this string seems upset that someone (me) said he was on steroids, and
    I'm not hurt anymore than if you would have called me an octopus or the moon. Your statement was an inane, irrelevant retort that made absolutely no sense, nor had any basis in reality... other than the fact that I appear quite "large" in my picutre... of which you clearly took note.

Does someone need a wittle hug in my big, strong arms?

Rather than establish a statement that supported your viewpoint, you levied an emotional response along the lines of, "Yeah well... you're a great-big doodie-head, and I'm rubber...and..and you're glue."

Case in point... In the same paragraph, you "hypothesized" I use steroids, you additionally explained that I was going to soon die of heart disease. And that was the crux of your "vegetarianism is nifty" argument.

Wow. Ya got me.

I'm sorry Peaches, but no one in the audience was fooled, nor impressed by your "argument." Including those that actually support your "argument." If those on "your side" don't even support you, there not much call to take you seriously, is there...

But hold-on Muffincake, I'm not quite finished with you.
    2. The same dude seems to be claiming to be an attorney.
    It's fairly easy to prove or "carry burden" as we say. There's a piece of paper on the wall behind me.
    As for number 1, this dude, showing a photo of six or seven vegans and their car, claimed that he was "bigger than everyone in that photo plus the car." After that statement he gets upset when someone says he's on steroids?
    Clearly, you've never seen me "upset." You are an adorable wee, tiny lil man though. Feisty. Like a puppy.
    Hello! Are you bigger than a car and several people without steroids?
    Yes.
    Then you better change your diet, Dude.
    Hmm. Maybe I should join a fitness website, and discuss other diets that I don't understand. Let's see how that turns out.
    As for number 2, I have never seen an attorney argue this poorly.
    Obviously, you've never been to a courthouse, anywhere, ever.
    If you are an attorney, you are certainly not here to argue or debate, and I think your comments about wanting to actually learn about vegetarianism are disingenuous.
    I don't know. I seem to be crushing your wee lil plea for attention, just fine.
    As I said, there are hundreds or even thousands of studies that show, among other things that vegetarians are healthier than meat eaters, vegetarians are smarter than meat eaters (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6180753.stm), vegetarians are wealthier than meat eaters (okay this one could be chicken and the egg - do weathier people become vegetarians?
    And as I said multiple times, anyone can quote studies, statistics, other websites, facts, figures and anecdotal data. That's not an argument. That's "hearsay." They taught us stuff like that in law school.
    Or do vegetarians become wealthier people), vegetarians have lower incidence of chronic diseases such as heart disease or cancer then non-vegetarians, and, well, my favorite, vegetarians are satisfied with themselves in terms of ethics, karma and ecology. This latter attribute is considered by meat-eaters to be a "superior attitude." Okay, I guess it is, but why does it bother you so much?
    Another reason I'm not debating you specifically, is because I question your competency and mental status. The statement above would stand as specific evidence to the effect. Being that I never said anything about any of the issues nor statements that you referenced in that statement, at any time, ever, I don't think you're of sound mind and body.

Perhaps it's the lack of protein. Or possibly testosterone.
    Anyway, this is a false debate.
    Yeah. I actually posted that three (3) times. Go read. Come back smarter.
    It is all opinion and anecdotal information.
    Do you actually read the things you post?
    We had several real debates on this subject (see, e.g., http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/609763-meat-eating-vs-vegan-debate) where we quoted studies and debated the relative merits of the studies.
    Yet, you keep desperately vying for my attention. Weird.
    Counselor, is this any way to put on a case?
    Nope. This is how I post in a discussion forum pursuant the Community Guidelines, documented below.
    Where is your expert witness? Where is your in rem jurisdiction? Your arguments seem pretty quasi in rem to me!
    Well, first... you need to stop Googling "legal terms," in a feeble attempt to look intelligent. You're not. Everyone reading this has long since summed you up. Just stop.

Second, your sentence above is almost as inane and asinine as you telling someone you don't know, have never met and know absolutely nothing about that they are "taking steroids" and "about to die from heart failure."

You see Poohbear, you're what scientists like to call "an idiot." You've spent several hours on this thread, reading and posturing a feeble effort to argue the values of vegetarianism, based solely on the following pivotal, key elements:

- I'm a big meanie-head
    - I look like I take steroids
    - I'm going to soon die of heart failure
    - Big meatheads can't be lawyers
    - And three (3) links to other websites you think are neato

I've enjoyed this.

Now, stay down. It will hurt less.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

Name some omnivores.
    Going round in circles I feel. Agree to disagree, no? If I must;
    Bears
    Coati (including aardvarks )
    Hedgehogs
    Opossums
    Pigs
    Primates including Chimpanzees and Humans
    Raccoons
    Rodents, including Chipmunks, Mice, Rats and Squirrels
    Skunks
    Sloths
    Canines including Wolves, Dingoes and Coyotes
    Cassowarys
    Chickens
    Crows
    Turtles
    Piranhas
    Thousands of invertebrate species

Okay, let's take Bears. Do you know what order they belong to? CARNIVORA. As I said, carnivores can eat veggies, and in fact most bears survive on berries and other plants, but they are physiologically carnivores. Just as physiologically, humans are herbivores.

order Carnivora - cats; lions; tigers; panthers; dogs; wolves; jackals; bears; raccoons; skunks; and members of the suborder Pinnipedia

Carnivora

Eutheria, subclass Eutheria - all mammals except monotremes and marsupials
    carnivore - a terrestrial or aquatic flesh-eating mammal; "terrestrial carnivores have four or five clawed digits on each limb"
    Pinnipedia, suborder Pinnipedia - seals; sea lions; walruses
    Canidae, family Canidae - dogs; wolves; jackals; foxes
    family Hyaenidae, Hyaenidae - hyenas
    family Felidae, Felidae - cats; wildcats; lions; leopards; cheetahs; saber-toothed tigers
    family Ursidae, Ursidae - bears and extinct related forms
    family Viverridae, family Viverrinae, Viverridae, Viverrinae - genets; civets; mongooses
    family Mustelidae, Mustelidae - weasels; polecats; ferrets; minks; fishers; otters; badgers; skunks; wolverines; martens
    family Procyonidae, Procyonidae - raccoons; coatis; cacomistles; kinkajous; and pandas
  • yourenotmine
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian since my teens. I think it is the KINDEST way to feed myself. I simply see no reason to make food choices which require someone to kill animals for me, if I can live well on plant-based food. After these many years, I see no point in debating this lifestyle. Live and let live.

I've been eating this way since 1973--going on 40 years. I am in prime health at age 57. Whether this is attributable to my veg*n diet, I simply can't tell you, but I doubt it has hurt me any. I don't debate the health advantages of a plant-based diet, since most of the research is epidemiological, and I think it isn't proof, per se, that one diet is superior to another. I do believe eating a rainbow of plant foods is a good thing, and I encourage anyone willing to listen to me to do so.

Veg*n food options keep getting better all the time, and I am thankful for that.

This is one meat-eater that will beat up anyone that ever makes you sad. Promise.

Now I want to hug you both.
  • yourenotmine
    Options

Okay, let's take Bears. Do you know what order they belong to? CARNIVORA. As I said, carnivores can eat veggies, and in fact most bears survive on berries and other plants, but they are physiologically carnivores. Just as physiologically, humans are herbivores.

order Carnivora - cats; lions; tigers; panthers; dogs; wolves; jackals; bears; raccoons; skunks; and members of the suborder Pinnipedia

Carnivora

Eutheria, subclass Eutheria - all mammals except monotremes and marsupials
    carnivore - a terrestrial or aquatic flesh-eating mammal; "terrestrial carnivores have four or five clawed digits on each limb"
    Pinnipedia, suborder Pinnipedia - seals; sea lions; walruses
    Canidae, family Canidae - dogs; wolves; jackals; foxes
    family Hyaenidae, Hyaenidae - hyenas
    family Felidae, Felidae - cats; wildcats; lions; leopards; cheetahs; saber-toothed tigers
    family Ursidae, Ursidae - bears and extinct related forms
    family Viverridae, family Viverrinae, Viverridae, Viverrinae - genets; civets; mongooses
    family Mustelidae, Mustelidae - weasels; polecats; ferrets; minks; fishers; otters; badgers; skunks; wolverines; martens
    family Procyonidae, Procyonidae - raccoons; coatis; cacomistles; kinkajous; and pandas

well, you didn't ask what scientific order they belong to... we were having a dietary and physiological discussion, I thought... Bears have both well developed canine teeth (for flesh) and grinding molars (for vegetation). The inside of their mouth does not look like an obligate carnivore's (such as a cat).
  • kimmie0627
    kimmie0627 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I enjoy going out killing my meat. And after that I go out and kill my fruits and veggies.

:smile:
  • gchutson
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian since my teens. I think it is the KINDEST way to feed myself. I simply see no reason to make food choices which require someone to kill animals for me, if I can live well on plant-based food. After these many years, I see no point in debating this lifestyle. Live and let live.

I've been eating this way since 1973--going on 40 years. I am in prime health at age 57. Whether this is attributable to my veg*n diet, I simply can't tell you, but I doubt it has hurt me any. I don't debate the health advantages of a plant-based diet, since most of the research is epidemiological, and I think it isn't proof, per se, that one diet is superior to another. I do believe eating a rainbow of plant foods is a good thing, and I encourage anyone willing to listen to me to do so.

Veg*n food options keep getting better all the time, and I am thankful for that.

This is one meat-eater that will beat up anyone that ever makes you sad. Promise.

Now I want to hug you both.

Seriously. She is the nicest woman I think I have ever disagreed with... I just wanna mow her grass and take her flowers.
  • gchutson
    Options
    I enjoy going out killing my meat. And after that I go out and kill my fruits and veggies.

:smile:

Those poor, poor fruits.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    carnivore-support-group.jpg

Neither! Just an omnivore :)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    carnivore-support-group.jpg

Neither! Just an omnivore :)
    Don't you get it? Omnivores don't exist!
  • lovelysummerbabe2012
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian. I just don't like meat and I feel gross when I used to find VAINS in my steak and..It just doesn't appeal to me anymore. Make's me kind of sick to my stomach :s
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I also eat meat with meat sprinkled on top! I have to read more of this debate because there are so many view points.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I like to wrap my meat in bacon. And then I put a huge salad on the side and eat that, too, with a joyful look of glee on my face. I'm not just a carnivore... I'm an all-ivore.
  • gchutson
    Options
    I like to wrap my meat in bacon. And then I put a huge salad on the side and eat that, too, with a joyful look of glee on my face. I'm not just a carnivore... I'm an all-ivore.

If it were legal, I would marry bacon.
  • yourenotmine
    Options

You see Poohbear, you're what scientists like to call "an idiot." You've spent several hours on this thread, reading and posturing a feeble effort to argue the values of vegetarianism, based solely on the following pivotal, key elements:

- I'm a big meanie-head
    - I look like I take steroids
    - I'm going to soon die of heart failure
    - Big meatheads can't be lawyers
    - And three (3) links to other websites you think are neato

I've enjoyed this.

Now, stay down. It will hurt less.

Oooh, I like you when you're all feisty. Cute. :)
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    They stopped using lard decades ago. Sad really, as nutritionally, lard is actually very high in monounsaturated fat, and medium chain triglycerides, the healthy stuff people are spending crazy amounts of money on coconut oil for. :laugh:

I believe it was you who pointed this out to me in a recent thread. It was very exciting news. I went out that day and bought a lb. of bacon, read the label with glee and "pigged" out. From now on I'm using lard to make my pie crusts. Thank you for that!
  • tweakz20
    tweakz20 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    This is not an opinion topic. Humans were not made to eat meat and it causes a variety of health issues such as obesity, high cholesterol, diabetes, and strokes, heart attacks, and pulmonary embolisms go along with those conditions. Those are the leading causes of death and debilitating diseases. I'm not going to explain my position to someone that's not open minded, it's easier talking to a wall. Meat is causing the health care industry millions. Do your own research instead of posting on here like an *kitten* making vegetarian jokes.
This discussion has been closed.