Vegetarianism. Seriously? (A Debate)

Options
1121314151618»

Replies

• gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    Pointless thread is pointless.

I don't care what you eat. Why do you care what I eat or why I eat it?

So... you posted on a thread... to express to the world... that you're above posting... on the thread... you just posted on.

The word "pointless" did come to mind, in all fairness.
    LOL! That one just flew right over your head didn't it?

You started a biased "debate". I'm not going to defend what I eat or why I eat it. I shouldn't have to. What I eat has absolutely no effect on you.

Ok..

A. You're spunky. That's cool.

B. All debates are biased. That's why they're called "debates," and not "Hey, let's all sit around agreeing about *kitten*."

C. Reread my original post. I never questioned what anyone eats, nor why anyone eats it. What I said was, "I don't get [vegetarianism]."
  • VegesaurusRex
    VegesaurusRex Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Pointless thread is pointless.

I don't care what you eat. Why do you care what I eat or why I eat it?

So... you posted on a thread... to express to the world... that you're above posting... on the thread... you just posted on.

The word "pointless" did come to mind, in all fairness.

She is absolutely right. This thread is pointless. You as the OP have no more interest in vegetarianism than you have in learning the exceptions to hearsay rule. You started this thread with one purpose and one purpose only - to make fun of vegatarians. You think you are funny,but you are truly pathetic.

...Said VegesaurusRex, the beloved, yet physically emaciated PBS dinosaur children's show host.

Sing along kids... "Rex loves you... You love Rex... Rex loves naps because he's anemic and iron deficient..."

barney-the-dinosaur.jpg

My intention was, and remains to discuss vegetarianism. Making fun of you, is just a bonus. *kisses*

I don't think so. It wasn't me who posted the comment that his thread is pointless. Crawl out of your ego and listen to what people are saying. You may actually learn something.
  • gchutson
    Options
    I am 5'10" about 187, and I am trying to bulk up.

I get so tired, of always, always being right.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I cant really join the debate but wanted to put my opinion. I LOVE meat but I guess I was weird when I was growing up my family would have meals that would be mostly one thing and other days mostly another. For instance sometimes we would have some meals with meat and veggies but no starch and other days a huge salad and other days all you could eat baked potatoes. I still eat that way some times and so do my kids. We had a garden and a peach tree and apricot tree in the back yard for all you could eat snacks and a pomegranate tree in the neighbors yard. And my grandma had several kinds of plum trees walnut trees and hazel nut trees and grapes and blackberries. So while I love meat and grew up eating meat I also grew up eating a lot of fruits and veggies and nuts. I will have some days where I will not eat meat and will reach my protein goals on mfp and other days where I will eat meat and go way over my protein goal but will go over on fat. But I just tend to focus on reaching my protein goal and exceeding my fiber goal and dont worry about fat so much
  • gchutson
    Options
    She is absolutely right. This thread is pointless.....
    4 minutes later...
    It wasn't me who posted the comment that his thread is pointless.

Seriously. Do you actually think about the things you type before you hit "enter?" I'm starting to wonder if you simply smack your delicate, effeminate forehead on the keyboard until words appear on the monitor.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    I am 5'10" about 187, and I am trying to bulk up.

I get so tired, of always, always being right.

And I have a black belt in Shaolin Kempo Karate, I've run marathons, downhill ski, and work out 5 days a week. I also have 16" calves. Anything else you'd like to know?
  • Zerashen
    Zerashen Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm jumping in this a bit late, but why not throw a two cents in? Disclaimer: I'm a fan of meat. (huge fan - like I could add meat to a double down).

Vegetarianism seems more political than anything else, though I understand that there are people who just do it for personal preference of taste/etc. Judging from the vegans I personally know it tends to be nearly always political reasons.

I don't mind what my friends eat, if they're vegetarian then I'll try to make meatless meals if I hang out with them, but we're all generally cool even if they're eating salad while someone else is eating steak.

It's when people act superior to someone else because of their diet. Eating meat doesn't make me evil, eating veggies doesn't make them holy. I try to get my meat from small local farmers where I can actually know if the animals are treated humanely or not. I like vegetables as well, and I'll gladly eat them. But no one knows what diet is best.

Personally, I think a mix of vegetables and meat is a good diet, but that's just for me. :) Eat what tastes good to you, and try new things.

I love animals too much to eat up all their food. So I eat the animals instead.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    She is absolutely right. This thread is pointless.....
    4 minutes later...
    It wasn't me who posted the comment that his thread is pointless.

Seriously. Do you actually think about the things you type before you hit "enter?" I'm starting to wonder if you simply smack your delicate, effeminate forehead on the keyboard until words appear on the monitor.

So when I said "she is absolutely right. This thread is pointless..." am I to take it that you thought that she believed the thread was pointless because I said it? You must be great at cross examination.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I switched to veganism (though I occasionally stray!) a year ago after my blood sugar headed north - and I was slightly overweight (about 30 pounds more than should be), didn't do soft drinks or candy. After the second blood draw (still high) I asked my doc what I could do to avoid Type II diabetes and all its complications and constraints. He recommended a book by Dr. Neil Barnard "Reversing Type II Diabetes" and told me that if I was serious to "read it, do it, and come back in 3 weeks." Highly skeptical anything could work in 3 weeks I picked up the book and by Chapter 2 realized the "prescription" was a low-fat, vegan diet. 3 weeks later my sugar was normal (after heavy, high-sugar carbo-loading 3 hours prior to the test) and it's been fine since.

I'll second 'cboscari' comments - most people don't bother to learn what they should be eating in the first place no matter what their diet is - and everyone should be adding veggies and mixing them up.

That said, my own blood work was the convincing factor -like several thousand other folks who switch to a low-fat vegan diet my triglycerides are down, my cholesterol is great, my BP has dropped, and I already mentioned the blood sugar - and all these changes happened FAST. I'm in the kitchen more, I love what I eat, and although I miss a great steak every now and then I don't think about it much. I've come down about 10 pounds since I started and want to lose another 20. I too followed up by reading The China Study and then Esstelyn's book on reversing heart disease and one or two others...I follow Dr. John McDougall's diet more or less and have more energy right now in my early 50's than I did in my mid-30's.

I don't really care what people think about what I eat or why and am often amused by the incredulous "I don't get it" or "really?" or my favorite - "then, what do you eat?"

There's a huge free library out there called "the internet" - I mean, really?

;)
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    The only debate are ones that people create. My philosophy is to each their own and let's each live our lives the way we see fit. I ate enough meat in the first 35 years of my life to last a lifetime. I've been vegetarian for 13 years and when people ask me "why?", the answer is easy: "I feel better when I don't eat meat." As for no healthy vegetarians, I would debate that point vigorously; there are plenty of us out there. There are also plenty of unhealthy vegetarians who, like omnivores, don't eat healthy, and I've been one of those also.
    BTW - chips are generally fried in vegetable oil because its the cheapest.

9114468.png

Advice is worth exactly what you pay for it!
    <=>

Some people are very astute at creating debates. They commonly known as "master debators."

Read that sentence out loud. You'll laugh.

Then there are those who are extremely adept at baiting hooks for fishing. They are commonly known as "master baiters."
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

And I have a black belt in Shaolin Kempo Karate, I've run marathons, downhill ski, and work out 5 days a week. I also have 16" calves. Anything else you'd like to know?
    Downhill ski? Wuss! Anyone can do that. Try uphill skiing! (haha just kidding)
This discussion has been closed.