Vegetarianism. Seriously? (A Debate)

Options

Replies

• foodietrudie
    Options
    Im on the veggie side:)
    Being a vegeterian has made me an overall happier person. I feel like i have more energy, my skin looks great, my will power is incredible, my cooking skills have improved, I feel fuller for less calories, I'm saving the lives of many animals, Ive been forced to try new things, most of which i love, i save money because i don't eat out as often... I could go on and on all day about the benifits of eating things without faces, yet i don't feel the need to. I eat how i eat zas a choice. Im not one of those people who want everyone to go veggie, and i don't believe that meat is evil. Its just not for me!!
  • VegesaurusRex
    VegesaurusRex Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Bears are still bears, and they're still omnivorous.

Yes, that is why they are in the class carnivora, which means carnivores.

Your belief that omnivores don't exist doesn't disprove that, nor does providing a list of conditions for something being an omnivore, which is contrary to your belief that they don't exist.

The "list of conditions" are scientific facts about the animals considered to be in each category. The characteristics mentioned are what biologists use to determine taxa. Each taxon is a group of living things with the same characteristics. Have you had a college level biology course?

I expanded my query to make it easier to understand.

If you want me to explain the existence of certain enzymes, you must first tell me what enzymes you are referring to. I am not going to guess.

If you want me to explain the existence of a vestigal organ, I can't.

If you want me to explain why the vestigat organ existed or continues to exist, I can't

If you want me to explain what the vestigal organ does, I can can.

Also, do you dispute the fact that vegetarians can consume too many calories, fats or sugars?

Of course some do. However, generally, the health of vegetarians is superior to that of meat eaters.
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    Pointless thread is pointless.

I don't care what you eat. Why do you care what I eat or why I eat it?

So... you posted on a thread... to express to the world... that you're above posting... on the thread... you just posted on.

The word "pointless" did come to mind, in all fairness.
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    carnivore-support-group.jpg

Boo yah!!!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Im on the veggie side:)
    Being a vegeterian has made me an overall happier person. I feel like i have more energy, my skin looks great, my will power is incredible, my cooking skills have improved, I feel fuller for less calories, I'm saving the lives of many animals, Ive been forced to try new things, most of which i love, i save money because i don't eat out as often... I could go on and on all day about the benifits of eating things without faces, yet i don't feel the need to. I eat how i eat zas a choice. Im not one of those people who want everyone to go veggie, and i don't believe that meat is evil. Its just not for me!!
    This is helpful for me to hear how much healthier you feel and the many benefits of exploring various types of foods in the plant world as well. My goal is to work hard on trying out new things and posts such as yours help a great deal! Thanks for taking time to share.:heart:
  • NicoleElen
    NicoleElen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I do not wish to live a life without meat. Especially bacon. What reason would I have to wake up in the morning?

On a more serious note, I actually think a vegetarian life is better for you. I just don't want to do it. Life it too short to miss out on the more delicious things.
  • gchutson
    Options
    I do not wish to live a life without meat. Especially bacon. What reason would I have to wake up in the morning?

On a more serious note, I actually think a vegetarian life is better for you. I just don't want to do it. Life it too short to miss out on the more delicious things.

I wish bacon would run for president.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Have you had a college level biology course?
    Actually, yes I have.
    The "list of conditions" are scientific facts about the animals considered to be in each category.
    Was kind of my point. You tell me omnivores don't exist and then provided a list of conditions for them to exist.
  • cboscari
    cboscari Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I went vegetarian for ethical reasons at first, then read an excellent book called "The China Study" that completely convinced me. I eat mostly whole grains, vegetables and fruits. My intake is currently at around 2000 calories a day and I could easily eat more. I weigh about 200 pounds, trying for 185. I am 6'0.

I think that many people automatically assume vegetarian=low calorie/healthy but it isn't necessarily so. Some people think that it means eating Iceberg lettuce salads or jars of peanut butter, and that's how they run into problems with their health (B12 deficiency) or weight gain. You have to eat a varied diet full of vegetables to be healthy, but that's true of everyone.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

So... you posted on a thread... to express to the world... that you're above posting... on the thread... you just posted on.

She is absolutely right. This thread is pointless. You as the OP have no more interest in vegetarianism than you have in learning the exceptions to hearsay rule. You started this thread with one purpose and one purpose only - to make fun of vegatarians. You think you are funny,but you are truly pathetic.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options

If you want me to explain what the vestigal organ does, I can can.

Woohoo! Pictures or it didn't happen.

For what it's worth, I don't eat meat, and I don't feel made fun of. Maybe you have a perception issue.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    Actually, yes I have.
    The "list of conditions" are scientific facts about the animals considered to be in each category.
    Was kind of my point. You tell me omnivores don't exist and then provided a list of conditions for them to exist.

There is no taxon OMNIVORA. The term if you can find a definitiion of it, refers to choice of diet not obligate reasons for having one diet or another. Omnivore is a term thrown around, but without a whole lot of meaning. Virtually any animal can be an omnivore. What does classifying an animal as an omnivore gain you? You might just as well say it is an animal that breaths.

I believe the definition of omnivore used in the table I posted refers to animals who have roughly a 50-50 animal vegetable diet. That is an enviornmental definition. If you place those animals in an environment where there is nothing to eat but animals, then they will eat only animals. If a different environment they may eat only vegetables.

I am not saying the definition of omnivore doesn't exist, I am saying that the term is not meaningfully distinctive of anything.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options

LOL! That one just flew right over your head didn't it?

You started a biased "debate". I'm not going to defend what I eat or why I eat it. I shouldn't have to. What I eat has absolutely no effect on you.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I wish bacon would run for president.
    Only if the vice president is worthwhile. Bacon would probably have a heart attack half way into it's first term.
  • gchutson
    Options

She is absolutely right. This thread is pointless. You as the OP have no more interest in vegetarianism than you have in learning the exceptions to hearsay rule. You started this thread with one purpose and one purpose only - to make fun of vegatarians. You think you are funny,but you are truly pathetic.

...Said VegesaurusRex, the beloved, yet physically emaciated PBS dinosaur children's show host.

Sing along kids... "Rex loves you... You love Rex... Rex loves naps because he's anemic and iron deficient..."

barney-the-dinosaur.jpg

My intention was, and remains to discuss vegetarianism. Making fun of you, is just a bonus. *kisses*
  • ironanimal
    Options
    Actually, yes I have.

There is no taxon OMNIVORA. The term if you can find a definitiion of it, refers to choice of diet not obligate reasons for having one diet or another. Omnivore is a term thrown around, but without a whole lot of meaning. Virtually any animal can be an omnivore. What does classifying an animal as an omnivore gain you? You might just as well say it is an animal that breaths.

I believe the definition of omnivore used in the table I posted refers to animals who have roughly a 50-50 animal vegetable diet. That is an enviornmental definition. If you place those animals in an environment where there is nothing to eat but animals, then they will eat only animals. If a different environment they may eat only vegetables.

I am not saying the definition of omnivore doesn't exist, I am saying that the term is not meaningfully distinctive of anything.
    And thus by this definition, I am omnivorous as is every human on Earth. We can eat meat and meat is available in my environment and I choose to eat it. I am not an obligate herbivore.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    I went vegetarian for ethical reasons at first, then read an excellent book called "The China Study" that completely convinced me. I eat mostly whole grains, vegetables and fruits. My intake is currently at around 2000 calories a day and I could easily eat more. I weigh about 200 pounds, trying for 185. I am 6'0.

I think that many people automatically assume vegetarian=low calorie/healthy but it isn't necessarily so. Some people think that it means eating Iceberg lettuce salads or jars of peanut butter, and that's how they run into problems with their health (B12 deficiency) or weight gain. You have to eat a varied diet full of vegetables to be healthy, but that's true of everyone.

I was already a vegetarian when the China Study came out. It was dynamite, and should be required reading.

I am 5'10" about 187, and I am trying to bulk up. I have been a vegetarian since 1979, and am in great health. I am working on building upper body muscles, I agree with everything you said.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    Actually, yes I have.

And thus by this definition, I am omnivorous as is every human on Earth. We can eat meat and meat is available in my environment and I choose to eat it. I am not an obligate herbivore.

By physiological definition you are a herbovore. Like I said, you can call yourself an omnivore, but that is about as meaningful and informative as saying you breath.
  • WhatAgirl_
    WhatAgirl_ Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I simply think meat is discusting... when I see meat I have this thing in me that makes it change to an ear, penis, gut, and a just blood of the cow/chicken/pig.... fish is so much better because they are not disgusting to me. & eggs look like a fetus :sick:
    not because I care about animals!! I hate animals! well not hate them but I am scared of all of them and i think it utterly discusting eating them ( expect fish)
  • ironanimal
    Options
    By physiological definition you are a herbovore. Like I said, you can call yourself an omnivore, but that is about as meaningful and informative as saying you breath.
    And the cycle begins anew...teeth, eyes, appendix.
This discussion has been closed.