Vegetarianism. Seriously? (A Debate)

Options

Replies

• deaddivya
    deaddivya Posts: 102
    Options
    A few years ago I was quite a meat lover, but that changed when I got more involved with its provenance.
    To know that animals are cultured and killed in mostly barbarous conditions just that I can enjoy a meal hinders me to actually enjoy it. I simply can't eat meat anymore because I always think that this animal died to land on my plate. To be honest, it disgusts me a little.
    I still respect everyone and every opinion and don't walk around, point at every person who eats meat and yell murder. I don't want anyone other to review my meals and lack of meat in them neither. Just not other peoples business.
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    I have exactly zero inclination to debate my diet vs. anyone else's. I made my choices a long, long time ago, and they're nobody else's biznatch.

I would be happy to help anyone interested in vegetarian learn how to balance their diet and get enough protein to lift heavy *kitten* and run really far, though.

I'm interested, but only if you promise to close every sentence with the word "biznatch."
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I love meat. My body does not respond well to only veggies, especially only carbs. I never understood why, but I have read about (from Jillian Michaels) how people's bodies metabolize food differently. There are fast, slow, and balanced oxidizers. Now, I am not saying any of this is proven or scientific. I just read it, answered the questions, and boy, was it on target for me!!! I feel the absolute best when I eat a diet that has a lot of meat in it. According to her, because I am a fast oxidizer and my body breaks down food extremely quickly, and supposedly why I always feel so bad if I don't get enough meat. Who knows for sure? Our bodies are all unique and everyone has different beliefs. For the record, I hate hearing about blasted monkies, gorillas, chimps, blah, blah, blah, and what they eat. You may as well tell me, well, cows eat grass. I don't care. I am NOT a monkey!!! I am a human being and they are not my "ancestors" or "cousins" or whatever else. *Rant over*. I do love animals, and buy my grass fed beef and milk from a local farm. I do NOT like cruelty to animals.

Started off with "I love meat." Then closed with "I hate gorillas." She giveth, and she taketh away.

:laugh:
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    The only thing we can't get from a plant-based diet enough of is B12. That is because B12 is made from bacteria naturally in animals.
    It's easy to take as a vitamin and there is also vegan fortified food with it. When I look at my MFP each day, I have lots and lots of protein, iron and everything else...but potassium. I am on 2 hbp meds that can leech potassium, so right now I am working on getting more potassium. And researching that,I find a list of plant based food tops the list:
    Foods with Potassium Serving Size Potassium (mg)
    Apricots, dried 10 halves 407
    Avocados, raw 1 ounce 180
    Bananas, raw 1 cup 594
    Beets, cooked 1 cup 519
    Brussel sprouts, cooked 1 cup 504
    Cantaloupe 1 cup 494
    Dates, dry 5 dates 271
  • braign
    braign Posts: 89
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for perhaps a year when I was a bratty teen, but I was the type of vegetarian who also didn't like vegetables, so all I'd eat was pretty much instant noodles and cheese pizza lol. I got back into the meat-eating thing when I found out I had an iron deficiency after almost passing out at work.

Now I'm cynical. I figure, we kill millions of rats in the sewer every year across the developed world because it suits us, and poison, starve or just plain put pigeons down because they're 'pests', or 'vermin', but the cute animals get all the press and activism.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I have exactly zero inclination to debate my diet vs. anyone else's. I made my choices a long, long time ago, and they're nobody else's biznatch.

I would be happy to help anyone interested in vegetarian learn how to balance their diet and get enough protein to lift heavy *kitten* and run really far, though.

I'm interested, but only if you promise to close every sentence with the word "biznatch."

One of the lesser understood side effects of being a vegetarian long term is that it makes you speak like a 1990's rapper.
  • RitaB19
    RitaB19 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I personally have nothing against people eating meat as long as its leaner cuts of meat, it is healthier. Meat is a good source of protein and iron. That being said, I am a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian. Personally, I do not like meat. I also prefer to be vegetarian b/c I think its healthier. I am not an animal rights activist. I simply don't like the taste of meat and it grosses me out. I have been vegetarian since the age of 21. Was forced to eat it as a child but never liked it. A vegetarian diet can be unhealthy too if you eat the wrong foods like bad carbs (white refined, sweets, and junk food of course).
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Mmmm... meat. Totally making steak tonight.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I can't eat a lot of meat. I don't like it enough. However, I couldn't live without eating it. I am also mindful an animal died for food, so I try not to waste any when I do eat it.
  • AndiJoy812
    AndiJoy812 Posts: 236
    Options
    I love meat...especially my husband's. He is really great in the kitchen.

I have a lot of respect for people who are vegan or vegetarians - it's not a diet that I would enjoy on a regular basis. However, I wish one of the many vegans or vegetarians would speak with my 350 lb vegetarian niece, and please tell her that eating three meals a day of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese isn't quite the way her "vegetarian" diet is supposed to work.

I have noticed that since I have been eating healthier, my body does process meat differently. Chicken and fish are fine - but if I eat anything that has higher fat content, my body lets me know that it is not happy with me. It's not worth it.
  • RitaB19
    RitaB19 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Don't forget prunes, raisins, Mangoes, oranges and orange juice. They are also high in potassium.
  • FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm a serial meat eater. I'm cutting down and trying to eat more veggies and it's going well. I can see myself becoming vegetarian or even vegan but I'm just not there yet. The welfare of the animals I eat does worry me. I try to get grass fed/ free range/ organic meat whenever I can but if I can't I try not to eat meat imported from central/ eastern Europe. Their animal welfare standards are even worse/crueler than they can be here.
  • gchutson
    Options

One of the lesser understood side effects of being a vegetarian long term is that it makes you speak like a 1990's rapper.

Fo shizzle.
  • gchutson
    Options

Really. F'n really? I mean... seriously. Really?
  • horrorghoul
    horrorghoul Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I gave up meat 4 1/2 years ago. It helped in lowering my cholesterol for a year but damn genes of my family made it go back up. I was just tired of be being exhausted and weighed down from eating meat. It made me sluggish.

Sad part is that I am 40 pounds fatter now than I was when I ate meat. Odd. I guess I do tend to rely a lot on carbs and sweets. Sadly at a family gathering like a bbq all they have for me to eat is junk. Oh well.

I love that I don't eat meat and my main goal is to become a raw vegan.
  • Moosical
    Moosical Posts: 23
    Options
    I stopped eating meat about 12 years ago and went without meat, fish or poultry till I fell pregnant with my first daughter, i'n now technically pescetarian as I eat fish on occasion. Though I have to say it is pretty rare.

I don't do it for ethical reasons, just simply I don't enjoy meat, I don't like the taste or the texture. I have in the past 5 years tried to eat chicken twice and I just couldn't stomach it or enjoy it.

I have no issues cooking or handling meat for my husband and the kids, but it just doesn't appeal to me at all. I'm also someone who genuinely enjoys eating vegetables and I do use things like Tofu, Quorn and Linda McCartney products to keep up my protein.

I think essentially I am vegetarian by personal choice and I hold zero opinion of that making me better than anyone else, I don't think there is a right or wrong where it comes to food, it's whatever suits the person and I say each to their own. ;)
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options

Everyone's better in the kitchen ;)
  • GothyVegan
    Options
    Who said you have to understand it. Being vegan myself, I don't understand how people eat meat. Does it matter? No. I choose to not eat animals, and that is my choice. Just as eating meat is yours. I don't think I am somehow superior to those who choose to eat meat. That is how they choose to eat. I do not. I certainly am not going to go into a diatribe on the benefits of a plant-based diet. Is it going to change your mind? Probably not. To me, this is a pointless debate. In the end, those who choose to be vegan or vegetarian, will continue to eat a plant-based diet. Just as you, in the end, will still eat meat. So, I am not going to waste my time educating you, because you have your point of view, just as I have mine.

You seem like a stubborn, opinionated individual. Nothing wrong with that. I myself, am a stubborn, opinionated individual. So let's leave it at this: You eat meat, and I will not eat meat. End of discussion.
  • Liasings
    Liasings Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    ]
    I never understand the point of "debating" this.

Who cares? It's not like anything either side says will change anyone's mind or provide brand new information. For some people it's moral, for some it's digestive, for some it's taste, for some it's political, for some it's environmental.

This is not a thought about you but I used to get SO MANY people asking me why I was vegan when I was growing up and not matter what I said or how nice I was ("well, it's just right for me") or vague ("well, I have concerns about industrial farming, the environment"), people would always call my reasons 'pushy'. Excuse me? You asked!! Otherwise I never mention it. How is that pushy?

Again, I'm not judging. I'm just curious. I don't understand the mentality. If you ever want to explore the inner-workings of big, dumb, meathead hillbillies, I am an open book. ;)
    [/quote]

"Big"-appears to be fact.
    "Meathead"- your call
    "Hillbilly"- I think that hillbilly-hood is more a state of mind than a function of location; but, again, your call.
    "Dumb"-there I draw the line. You may be a "Dumba$$", but you are certainly not "dumb". :flowerforyou:

Lol!

Oh, and I have shot my food, caught my food, and planted my food. I don't care one iota what other people eat. Just don't leap, gibbering, off of your soapbox to proselytize the virtues of your particular gustatory lifestyle.
  • AndiJoy812
    AndiJoy812 Posts: 236
    Options

Everyone's better in the kitchen ;)

Yes, really. One of the reasons why I gained 80 lbs after we were married. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.