Vegetarianism. Seriously? (A Debate)

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Gorillas do eat meat, as do chimpanzees and koala bears, just before they're referenced. Carry on.

While this is actually true - it is insects they eat (usually ants). There is no conclusive proof that gorillas eat meat (other than insects) in the wild. Chimps - yes, gorillas, no.

We like steak. Trust me.

So you equate yourself to a chimp and other lesser primates that do eat mammal meat. :tongue:
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    When I was 9 my aunt and uncle had a cow. I asked to see that cow every time we visited because I had never been near a cow before. One day, bumper wasn't in the barn area anymore. The adults told me bumper ran away. It happened to be Easter. We ate dinner.

I overheard my mom tell my aunt that "bumper was really tender.".

I have not ate meat since. I am 34 years old and still can't bring myself to do it, although I cook it daily for my family.

I don't know the pros/cons but I can tell you that I think eating meat would make my weightloss go faster. I just can't do it!
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    so basically, you posted this topic not because you're genuinely curious about vegetarianism, but because you think your diet is superior and you'd like vegetarians to agree with you?

No, I posted this topic to ask if anyone cares to debate the benefits / drawbacks of vegetarianism VS yummy, yummy meat.

This fact was cryptically hidden within the second sentence of the original post that stated, "Anyone care to debate the benefits / drawbacks of vegetarianism VS yummy, yummy meat."

I can be so coy with my intentions at times.
    my bad. i thought that when you made the comment "Again, I'm not judging. I'm just curious" you were cryptically implying that you were not judging, and just curious.

Um, yes?

I feel like you're trying to pick a fight with me. Which is awesome. Here, I'll start. Zumba makes me want to punch kittens in the face. Go..
  • gchutson
    Options
    Gorillas do eat meat, as do chimpanzees and koala bears, just before they're referenced. Carry on.

While this is actually true - it is insects they eat (usually ants). There is no conclusive proof that gorillas eat meat (other than insects) in the wild. Chimps - yes, gorillas, no.

We like steak. Trust me.

So you equate yourself to a chimp and other lesser primates that do eat mammal meat. :tongue:

<--- vanilla gorilla.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    MEAT IS MURDER! delicious murder.... and milk is rape, I wouldn't have it any other way.

when I was a kid we used to raise rabbits, they were so cute and cuddily and we protected them from the neighborhood cats and dogs. we would name then and play with them and then when they got big enough we would eat them. they were so delicious and we never really felt bad about it because that's what they were there for. still remember thanking the individual rabit we were about to eat when we'd pray over our food.

you can warp it however you'd like and believe that it's wrong to eat the food that walked around before you eat it. or you can just accept that we were made to eat meat with our veggies.

to my Vegan and veggie friends out there, keep up the good work. eat what you like and I'll do the same :flowerforyou:
  • gchutson
    Options
    When I was 9 my aunt and uncle had a cow. I asked to see that cow every time we visited because I had never been near a cow before. One day, bumper wasn't in the barn area anymore. The adults told me bumper ran away. It happened to be Easter. We ate dinner.

I have not ate meat since. I am 34 years old and still can't bring myself to do it, although I cook it daily for my family.

I don't know the pros/cons but I can tell you that I think eating meat would make my weightloss go faster. I just can't do it!

Holy *kitten*. I was just kidding about ACTUALLY KNOWING THE COW'S NAME. Gah.
  • tallskinnyblond
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian all my life and have never eaten any kind of meat or fish. To me, it doesn't make much difference whether someone eats meat or not, and I have never had a problem with people eating/cooking meat around me. I'm a vegetarian due to moral reasons from my mum but I'd never think anyone's opinions on eating meat are wrong because it just depends on the individual's tastes and morals :) I hate vegetarians who think that everyone who eats meat is wrong and always true to convert haha. I'd never do that. Vegetarianism is definitely an individual thing :)
  • V3ggieL0vinGinger
    Options
    I'm a vegan, but that being said, I have nothing against people who eat meat. For me, I chose veganism because of animal rights and environmental issues. I feel great about what I eat and I feel the best I've every felt mentally and physically. I started out vegetarian but thought "why not be vegan?" since I'm lactose intolerant anyways :P

Well, that's my side of the argument.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options

Haha. Yep. Although I don't know origin and birthdate. Next time my family buys a cow and lies about it being a pet- I will ask!
  • ashleygx26
    ashleygx26 Posts: 140
    Options
    I'm not judging, but I just don't get it.

Anyone care to debate the benefits / drawbacks of vegetarianism VS yummy, yummy meat with me?

To quantify my position, I'm on the side of meat. All meat. I eat meat, with meat sprinkled on it. I am not emotionally swayed by eating meat. In fact, I prefer to know the name, birthday and religion of the cow, before I eat it. (Joking, calm down. But, my side of the debate is now clearly established.)

Now, before we begin, please know that I'm uneducated, shy, small and frail. So, please be gentle.

Is this serious?? Ever occur to you that some people just don't like the taste of meat like some people just don't lie the taste of veggies?? Try to be open minded. I have been a vegetarian since the age of two because I just hate the way meat and seafood taste. It doesn't appeal to me. I have tried different things through my 22 years of being a vegetarian, and it all makes me nauseous.
  • gchutson
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian all my life and have never eaten any kind of meat or fish. To me, it doesn't make much difference whether someone eats meat or not, and I have never had a problem with people eating/cooking meat around me. I'm a vegetarian due to moral reasons from my mum but I'd never think anyone's opinions on eating meat are wrong because it just depends on the individual's tastes and morals :) I hate vegetarians who think that everyone who eats meat is wrong and always true to convert haha. I'd never do that. Vegetarianism is definitely an individual thing :)

Cool vegetarians rule.
  • gchutson
    Options

Haha. Yep. Although I don't know origin and birthdate. Next time my family buys a cow and lies about it being a pet- I will ask!

Ok, that's just hot.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I actually tried veganism for six weeks and I felt great and lost weight. The more I researched it, the more I found out long-term vegans were generally supplementing their diet with vitamin and nutrient pills to get some of the things they couldn't get enough of in their vegan diet. That's when I started gradually eating meat again.
  • gchutson
    Options
    I'm not judging, but I just don't get it.

Anyone care to debate the benefits / drawbacks of vegetarianism VS yummy, yummy meat with me?

To quantify my position, I'm on the side of meat. All meat. I eat meat, with meat sprinkled on it. I am not emotionally swayed by eating meat. In fact, I prefer to know the name, birthday and religion of the cow, before I eat it. (Joking, calm down. But, my side of the debate is now clearly established.)

Now, before we begin, please know that I'm uneducated, shy, small and frail. So, please be gentle.

Is this serious?? Ever occur to you that some people just don't like the taste of meat like some people just don't lie the taste of veggies?? Try to be open minded. I have been a vegetarian since the age of two because I just hate the way meat and seafood taste. It doesn't appeal to me. I have tried different things through my 22 years of being a vegetarian, and it all makes me nauseous.

I agree with your opinion regarding the taste of seafood. In the south, we call that "bait."
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I love meat. My body does not respond well to only veggies, especially only carbs. I never understood why, but I have read about (from Jillian Michaels) how people's bodies metabolize food differently. There are fast, slow, and balanced oxidizers. Now, I am not saying any of this is proven or scientific. I just read it, answered the questions, and boy, was it on target for me!!! I feel the absolute best when I eat a diet that has a lot of meat in it. According to her, because I am a fast oxidizer and my body breaks down food extremely quickly, and supposedly why I always feel so bad if I don't get enough meat. Who knows for sure? Our bodies are all unique and everyone has different beliefs. For the record, I hate hearing about blasted monkies, gorillas, chimps, blah, blah, blah, and what they eat. You may as well tell me, well, cows eat grass. I don't care. I am NOT a monkey!!! I am a human being and they are not my "ancestors" or "cousins" or whatever else. *Rant over*. I do love animals, and buy my grass fed beef and milk from a local farm. I do NOT like cruelty to animals.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    It's their business, not mine.
  • gchutson
    Options
    I actually tried veganism for six weeks and I felt great and lost weight. The more I researched it, the more I found out long-term vegans were generally supplementing their diet with vitamin and nutrient pills to get some of the things they couldn't get enough of in their vegan diet. That's when I started gradually eating meat again.

I get 10 - 20 emails a day trying to sell me pills that will supplement my meat.
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha!!! Bait!! Love it!! I hate seafood!!:D
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I have exactly zero inclination to debate my diet vs. anyone else's. I made my choices a long, long time ago, and they're nobody else's biznatch.

I would be happy to help anyone interested in vegetarian learn how to balance their diet and get enough protein to lift heavy *kitten* and run really far, though.
  • gchutson
    Options
    I love meat. My body does not respond well to only veggies, especially only carbs. I never understood why, but I have read about (from Jillian Michaels) how people's bodies metabolize food differently. There are fast, slow, and balanced oxidizers. Now, I am not saying any of this is proven or scientific. I just read it, answered the questions, and boy, was it on target for me!!! I feel the absolute best when I eat a diet that has a lot of meat in it. According to her, because I am a fast oxidizer and my body breaks down food extremely quickly, and supposedly why I always feel so bad if I don't get enough meat. Who knows for sure? Our bodies are all unique and everyone has different beliefs. For the record, I hate hearing about blasted monkies, gorillas, chimps, blah, blah, blah, and what they eat. You may as well tell me, well, cows eat grass. I don't care. I am NOT a monkey!!! I am a human being and they are not my "ancestors" or "cousins" or whatever else. *Rant over*. I do love animals, and buy my grass fed beef and milk from a local farm. I do NOT like cruelty to animals.

Started off with "I love meat." Then closed with "I hate gorillas." She giveth, and she taketh away.
This discussion has been closed.