Opinions on just wearing a sports bra to the gym?

Options

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way:

If you saw some sweaty hot chick at the gym with godsent breasts that could feed a thousand infants and a sexy stomach running on the treadmill, bewbs bouncing plentifully - would you be like ugh bleh or would you be like oh shes just working out?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't do this and it's not the culture in either of the gyms I go to, because it's not the culture it always strikes me as odd to see.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    sports bras are usually (not always but usually) listed under tops when you shop, not undergarments.

if you go to any major retailer for women's active wear, the front page, and all the pants shots are taken with only a sports bra as a top. Also, they wouldnt all come with matching bottoms if they were not supposed to show.

bras_main.jpg

Any argument that sports bras are underwear only, leads people to believe that the other half of all these matching sets should be worn under your pants. I refuse to wear pants under my pants.

If you feel comfortable exercising in just the top, then you should do it. But make sure it's classy, the correct size and you arent bursting out of it.

You have TOO much tiime on your hands...I'm going back to work....GOOD DAY ;-)

Translation: You have impeccable logic and I want to appear superior despite your obvious win, so I will make an absurd unrelated remark in response.
  • Queen_Adrock
    Queen_Adrock Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've got a rather sizeable chest, so I have to wear a sports bra on top of another bra when I go to the gym, so when I saw "Opinions on just wearing a sports bra to the gym," my immediate reaction was "Hell no, how are they gonna stay in place?"

ANYways. I say go for it. Society can be prudish, but if you're sweating your *kitten* off and feel comfortable taking it off, who cares what anyone thinks?
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    Dunno about over there but all the gyms in my area that I've been to have a 'dress code' and that doesn't fit in to it. You might what to check with your gym and see if they allow it. If they do, go ahead.
  • Shal1217
    Options
    If I had a hot body I'd do it no problem... but my gym has a really strict dress code in the co-ed area and I work out with my fiancé so it wouldn't happen anyway.
  • Amandatorie
    Amandatorie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a nice moisture-wicking tank-top over your sports bra, that will hopefully not bother you much at all. When I wear a regular old T-shirt to work out, the thing feels so heavy and gross and hot, but a tank that really fits and is actually made to sweat in is a big difference.

I personally have no problems with seeing someone in a sports bra while running at the gym, but I would assume the person is looking for some attention and/or to show off their body. Same as if someone is wearing itty bitty shorts, or guys bith barely-there shirts as well.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    My gym has a rule against it, but I've seen a few violators. It doesn't bother me, but as for me - I'll cover up. Maybe I'll feel different when I no longer have rolls to hide.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Here's my honest opinion on the matter. Some people may not like this.....but I don't think it is appropriate to do if you are over, say, 25% body fat. I say this because the gelatin like jiggle of too much fat as someone is running with no shirt is quite repulsive to me. I would never have subjected anyone to that when I was over 25% fat (I used to be 34.5% fat). I woul dleave that gym if I saw it.

You would leave? You poor delicate flower.
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It's definitely an attention-grabber. I don't necessarily have a problem with it if you're not sweating all over the machines and not cleaning up after yourself. But get ready for some extra looks. And make sure it fits and coverage is good.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you had to ask...you probably shouldn't. And...bras are undergarments. Even though it is a SPORTS bra...still a bra meant to be worn under something.

The vast majority of sports bras cover more than the majority of bikini tops.

Ok...I'll just be clear(er). SPORTS BRA ARE NOT MEANT TO BE WORN BY THEMSELVES. PERIOD.

You can keep saying, but don't expect people to agree.
  • DGK12
    DGK12 Posts: 117
    Options
    If you've got the body for it, GO FOR IT! :)
    I'd do it in a heart beat if I could!
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I think you should do it if you want to. It's certainly no more revealing than a swimsuit top.

Personally, I consider a sports bra underwear... great figure or not. In my mind, it belongs under clothes. But wouldn't really care what someone else did.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    What kind of a shirt are you wearing? I wear lose fitting, wicking tank-tops. I can't imagine over heating in them. If you are wearing cotton T-shirts, that's the problem.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Here's my honest opinion on the matter. Some people may not like this.....but I don't think it is appropriate to do if you are over, say, 25% body fat. I say this because the gelatin like jiggle of too much fat as someone is running with no shirt is quite repulsive to me. I would never have subjected anyone to that when I was over 25% fat (I used to be 34.5% fat). I woul dleave that gym if I saw it.

I think tying the rightness or wrongness to % of body fat is... well... a ridiculous way to think about it. Don't like the look, don't look. It's either appropriate or not.... regardless of how GOOD it looks.

After doing research (aka reading this thread, here's the evidence-based equation you should apply:

If it's a weekday beginning with T, but not the 3rd week of the month nor a full moon, and the fabric is a cotton poly blend with a ratio of no less than 70:30, and the demographic of the health club is 60 % male and 40% female and it's before 3pm, you should select a primary colored sports bra. However, if it's a Monday or a Wednesday, then you should opt for 60:40 cotton:poly blend with a fabric tesnile strength greaten than your age divided by 3 and choose a pastel bra. Now, if your body fat % is >25%, you should select a cotton canvas blend and only sports-bra on Fridays. But, if you're dehydrated, then you should only wear a polyester or pTFE woven fabric on Saturday.

<blank stare>

Or - you could do whatever makes you comfortable.
  • Shal1217
    Options
    LOL I don't see why some people are being so offended by it...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    For those giving the Op advice or asking her questions - she posted this in June of 2012.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    sports bras are usually (not always but usually) listed under tops when you shop, not undergarments.

if you go to any major retailer for women's active wear, the front page, and all the pants shots are taken with only a sports bra as a top. Also, they wouldnt all come with matching bottoms if they were not supposed to show.

bras_main.jpg

Any argument that sports bras are underwear only, leads people to believe that the other half of all these matching sets should be worn under your pants. I refuse to wear pants under my pants.

If you feel comfortable exercising in just the top, then you should do it. But make sure it's classy, the correct size and you arent bursting out of it.

Translation: You have impeccable logic and I want to appear superior despite your obvious win, so I will make an absurd unrelated remark in response.

NO U R
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    For those giving the Op advice or asking her questions - she posted this in June of 2012.

it's cvool, most of the time it is easier to bring up a thread about a subject that alot of people are asking about, rather than start an entirely new thread. reuse renew recycle!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

bras_main.jpg

good idea, since you dont know what you are talking about anyway.

I didnt realize that buying activewear to work out in was an indicator of too much time to waste - I thought it was being an informed shopper capable of multi-tasking but HEY! when you lose an argument!- always insult the other person and then stomp off.

kudos!

HEY. You took the time to maturely respond with a well thought out response! Clearly you have no life, and by the way, **** you!

Edit to mods: THIS IS SARCASM.