Greek Yogurt lovers - (plain) How to sweeten it

Options

Replies

• kabbit42
    kabbit42 Posts: 85
    Options
    Bumping this for later. The one time I tried to eat Greek Yogurt I threw up into the sink it was the most repulsive thing I have ever put into my mouth.
  • Smrhoads
    Smrhoads Posts: 31
    Options
    I put Splenda and chia seeds in mine for texture. I love it!
  • ballerina454
    ballerina454 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    For a one cup serving of plain greek yogurt I use 1/2 a packet of splenda and 2 tbsp of sugar free apricot, strawberry, or blueberry preserves and I LOVE it! :)
  • Littlemissjackie1
    Littlemissjackie1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I experienced the same problem when switching from regular yogurt to greek. I like to sweeten mine with Fresh strawberries, and a teaspoon of natural honey.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My finger....I don't go out in the rain either. Cause sugar melts!!! ha

Bahahaha! :)

I don't sweeten it anyway... I love it just the way it is! :)
  • warden1962
    warden1962 Posts: 10
    Options
    Try adding in a package of pudding mix (dry) to the yogurt. I like the cheesecake flavor. Makes the yogurt taste yummy! I have even used it as filling in the little graham cracker mini pie crusts, and added strawberries on top! About 200 calories for a little dessert!
  • Kdgengler
    Kdgengler Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    raw honey is what I typically use, but if you are cool with artificial sweeteners, go with some stevia!
    Stevia is a natural sweetener not an artificial one, it comes from a plant, I use it in my greek yogurt and add some nutmeg when having blueberries. You could also try the syrups used to flavor coffee like Torani...
  • Kdgengler
    Kdgengler Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use Greek yogurt in place of mayo, Miracle Whip, cream cheese, or sour cream. It works great!!

When I eat is for itself, I sweeten with Splenda or fruit only preserves. My lunch trick is to pack the yogurt with still frozen fruit; it will thaw by the afternoon. My favorite is a sprinkle of ginger with frozen mango chunks.
    Yummm...totally trying this!
  • razzmahtazz
    razzmahtazz Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Agave mixed with wheat germ. The dried cranberries sound interesting!
  • NPetrakis
    NPetrakis Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I like the chobani plain 0%, it doesn't need anything IMO. But before I discovered that I would add a scoop of vanilla protein powder to my yogurt, pretty good. That and it added up to about 42g of protein in one whack, for those interested it getting that number up.

Add me :)
  • NPetrakis
    NPetrakis Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Chia is nice, gives it a nutty taste.

I Blend plain yogurt and strawberries then use that as a topping on whole grain waffles, pancakes, etc. very yummy
  • Sassy2631
    Sassy2631 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Cryatal light is horrible for you. Read up on artificial sweeteners, they're toxic and cause all kinds of health problems.
  • Annie120484
    Annie120484 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joes, go pick up some of their Reduced Sugar Fruit Preserves (no artificial sweeteners). I add about a tbsp to Greek yogurt and it's perfect. I like strawberry and raspberry but they have others too!
  • nobleammonite
    nobleammonite Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've had some really disgusting honey greek yogurt too! What do they do to it to make it so gross? Using real honey makes a huge difference. Adding a little lemon to honey-sweetened yogurt is really yummy.

For other flavors, I make my own jam, and it's lower sugar than store-bought jam, so I use that. But if I want it sweeter I add a few drops of liquid stevia extract.

Also I don't know if you like crunchy things in your yogurt, but adding some popped amaranth gives it an interesting nutty/sweet flavor. If you can find amaranth, it's really easy to pop your own. Just google "how to pop amaranth" or similar. It takes a few tries to get it right, but it's pretty easy.
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    STEVIA, NATVIA, XYLITOL/ERYTHRITOL IF YOU DONT MIND A MINT

HONEY (LOVE)

I USED TO EAT IT REALLY SWEET BUT MY TASTE BUDS ADJUSTED AND NOW I JUST EAT IT SOUR:)
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I love (real) honey in mine. Make sure it has the little bee symbol on it. lol. I hate fake honey, or clover honey, as it's called. :P Yuck. Bananas work well too, I like freezing bananas (peeled and halved) then mixing them in the blender with the yogurt, some unsweetened almond milk or skim milk, spinach, and whatever else I like - sometimes peanut butter. It's quite a yummy protein smoothie! :)
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I make my own fruit free muesli (granola) and serve it with greek yoghurt and fruit (mango works the best). Its awesome.
  • madelinemcgee
    madelinemcgee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You'll adjust more and more to it as you continue to eat it. The key is to first start off with just a thin coating of the plain Greek yogurt on a TON of fresh fruits. I LOVE the fresh pitted cherries, blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries, they're all super foods and WAY nutritious and low cal.. Add a light sprinkle of granola (I use Barefoot Contessa recipe) for a crunch, sweetness, and more fill or you could always do a sprinkle of Honey Bunches of Oats instead! Enjoy!!! And all, feel free to add me on MFP I love having some encouraging acceptability partners! :)
  • melfitnesspal13
    melfitnesspal13 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I used a tsp or two of bonne maman jam, which is almost all fruit and delicious. I only allow myself sugar in 2 things, my 1 tsp in my morning coffee and in my yogurt (which I have about every other day). when I use it in my smoothie I don't need any sugar/jam because the frozen fruit is naturally sweet and just makes it taste too good to add anything. When I was in Greece they always gave us fresh raw honey and raw nuts, that was yummy too! Greek yogurt in the US unfortunately doesn't take anything nearly as good as the real one so I enjoy the Stoneyfield organic, which does taste more like "real" yogurt than any other brand. The sugar section in the food log goes in the red after just a few pieces of fruit, which is good sugar, so I am not paying too much attention to that but do watch my calories and never go over. Enjoy!
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    stevia