Corn used my man-parts as a speedbag.

Options

Replies

• prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options

Original Thread was created by Sidesteal

Now that I have your attention -

Every so often I'll make one of these random bits of info. How about now.

You don't need to eat clean.
    You don't need to avoid white bread or potatoes or beans or rice or _____________ (insert food here) unless you've got an intolerance/allergy/medical condition.
    You don't need to eat breakfast to get your metabolism started.
    You probably don't need to pay any attention to GI.
    Your metabolism doesn't get kick-started and you don't rev it up.
    Eating frequently is fine but it doesn't "boost your metabolism".
    Don't waste your money on Raspberry Keytones and you should probably turn off Dr. Oz.
    You are not toning.
    You will not bulk up, ladies.
    You also don't "gain muscle really easily". Yes, YOU.
    Low carbing is not dangerous.
    Low carbing is not metabolically superior.
    You can eat food before bed.
    You can eat food IN bed.
    There is no specific time at which eating will cause you to gain fat.
    The little pink dumbbells do not constitute "lifting weights".
    That glass of blended up "juice" that you're replacing your meals with, probably isn't "cleansing" any "toxins".
    "Hot Pants" don't make you lose fat, although they may make your wallet lighter.
    You don't need to burn off that bowl of cereal or piece of chicken.
    You don't need to worry about whether you're burning carbs or fat.
    You don't need to worry about how much fat you burned during your workout, or how much muscle you gained during that set of bosu-ball dumbbell flies.
    You don't "shock your body"
    You don't "confuse your mucles"
    Stop switching up your lifting program. How about stick to something and add weight to the bar.
    Just because you saw it in a documentary doesn't mean it's a good idea or even remotely research-based.
    You don't need to zig-zag or carb cycle or do the 17 day butt wash or the cabbage donkey stew diet.
    2 weeks is not a plateau.
    Start here:
    1) Eat within a reasonable caloric intake for your goals.
    2) Consume adequate protein and fat.
    3) Consume at least enough carbs to allow you to train with intensity.

(And can you just use some common sense with food selection?)

4) Lift weights
    5) Get rest.
    6) Repeat
    7) And quit worrying about all the other crap.

Be patient.

I'm just LOVING the attention getting topic...it works..and keeps the silliness amongst all the seriousness...but then again..
    maybe I'm just "13 between the ears" too....
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Btw sublog.... a-freakin-mazing weight loss and body transformation sir!! *whistles*
  • prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Except I didn't quote the right parts but oh well..
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Best thread ever.... :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

I love this. What about cardio?

I have several thoughts about cardio.

I think that ultimately, cardio is not necessary for weight loss. I DO think that cardio is a good activity to do for the majority (maybe that's too bold of a word here) of the overweight population trying to generally become fit. I think that for bodybuilding purposes cardio is a tool that allows more food or bigger deficits. If an individual is in a position that they need to choose between increasing activity to create a suitable deficit, or decreasing food intake, cardio could be the better choice.

I personally cannot stand cardio and as such, I don't do it.

Afreakinmen.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to call BS on some of those, but the vast majority of it is legit. It's good enough for a beginner to follow.
  • Rhodium1976
    Rhodium1976 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    OP is best post ever. It should be required reading before posting anything and a response to most of the threads in the nutrition section.

It really is that simple.
  • bigd65
    bigd65 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    should be mandatory read or part of sign up, people do overcomplicate it, my favorite is people dropping all the fat out of their diet because that is what is making them fat, not the excessive calories. Thank you for posting
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to call BS on some of those, but the vast majority of it is legit. It's good enough for a beginner to follow.

Like what one?
  • Rhodium1976
    Rhodium1976 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    All points are correct.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I actually welcome you to do so if you'd like to have a discussion about it.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

Even if it is legit...people get so bogged down in all that legitimacy they never make any progress. Once you become a well trained and well fed athlete, than you can focus on the nuances of the sport you partake of.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Coming from the poster who in another post said HRM's subtract BMR calories...

I like his approach, straight forward and makes sense!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

Coming from the poster who in another post said HRM's subtract BMR calories...

I just specifically dug up that post and went and backed you up on that one. :wink:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

hey.....after reading those studies what do you think about the protein amounts recommended here in the forum? and do they differ for men and women? women at certain times of the month? Not fighting, just curious. :)
  • Sidesteal
    Options

hey.....after reading those studies what do you think about the protein amounts recommended here in the forum? and do they differ for men and women? women at certain times of the month? Not fighting, just curious. :)

I think that for the majority of the population, the lower recommendations are probably sufficient. I think that the author may have left out (not suggesting intentionally) a few key studies that Alan and Eric Helms have reviewed thoroughly, and based on these, they conclude that for lean individuals eating in a calorie deficit, protein recommendations in excess of 1g/lb LBM may still be desirable to maximize the ability to retain lean mass and in that regard I don't agree with Menno.

EDIT: In fairness of disclosure, I have not thoroughly looked at the above mentioned studies (1 of 3 so far) as Alan just pointed them out to me. However, I absolutely trust Alan's judgement and interpretation of said studies -- but I'll also be looking at them myself from a point of learning.

The protein roundtable addresses these issues and also assesses circumstances under which protein needs increase or decrease. How lean an individual is, how new they are to training, whether or not they are obese, whether or not they are eating in a surplus or a deficit, are all factors that may raise or lower individual intake needs.

I'm also not 100% clear on Menno's stance on nitrogen retention because while he specifically mentions flaws in that method, Alan and Eric (I believe) claim that nitrogen retention studies will tend to under-estimate protein needs.

I do think his site is great, and I agree with several other points he makes. Overall it seems like a great site.

EDIT: Also, Menno's claim of .82g/lb bodyweight being absolutely sufficient would probably cover a large population of scenarios. This is still close to 1g/lb lean mass in many individuals -- just not lean folks eating at a deficit.
  • Silverkittycat
    Options
    Thanks for looking and thinking, I do however disagree that an excess of 1g/lb LBM will make a difference. Especially in women. Possibly men too. Then again, not eating in a deficit clouds my view at times. And Alan knows I'm not a bodybuilder and just want to look good, so I know it differs depending on someone's goals. Thank you! :)
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Thanks for looking and thinking, I do however disagree that an excess of 1g/lb LBM will make a difference. Especially in women. Possibly men too. Then again, not eating in a deficit clouds my view at times. And Alan knows I'm not a bodybuilder and just want to look good, so I know it differs depending on someone's goals. Thank you! :)

Have you watched the protein round-table videos yet? They are long but very, very good.
  • Silverkittycat
    Options
    yeah, they were long, didn't finish. I will eventually.
    Still, for me? 50 or so is fine. More than. Alan approved. ;) I left it at that so I don't recommend what others might need or do well on.

Still looking at Menno's stance on nitrogen retention. It hasn't interested me as much as epigenetics has lately. I got distracted. :)
    Thanks for replying! *kiss*
    Even though I'm mad at you you're still my friend, always will be. :)
  • Hellaine
    Hellaine Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This thread made my life 89% more awesome, thank you for it.

I try to incorporate as many 'clean' foods and eating habits into my diet as possible, but for ethical and some health reasons; I absolutely understand what you mean when you explain that clean foods aren't what generally helps with weight loss.

Cool thread, will probably tattoo the entire thing on my body now, minus the weird rambly explanation about what breakfast is in the last 20 pages.