silly Americans

Options

Replies

• clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Dont' go into a restaurant and just order coffee and dessert, like I did. My waiter was obviously annoyed with me.
  • klovey92
    klovey92 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    White Tennis Shoes... buy a good pair of walking sandals.
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    OP - Your family is over reacting, pay it no heed. Italy is a civilised country and you won't find any anti-American sentiment with the majority of citizens. Now if you were heading out to Afghanistan or Iraq they may have a point, but on balance I would say most countries in Europe are safer than the US in terms of no-go areas and violent crime.

American tourists, although sometimes loud, are invariably polite and courteous, and welcome guests all over Europe. Just don't expect US service levels, or staff to jump at the slightest complaint, most of the time you'll be disappointed.

Enjoy your holiday
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    You could also let your leg hair grow out to blend in:tongue:

yeah, you wouldn't want to be looking like an italian woman in the street now would you....

7018VNippon2web.jpg
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Try not to say things like:
    "Oh my god, look at that, that is so totally awesome!!" at the top of your voice whilst pointing at it! hehe x

LOL....that is hilarious! I can definitely see that happening!
  • tugers2
    tugers2 Posts: 139
    Options
    don't wear tartan trousers, that's how we identify Americans in Scotland :laugh:

i've lived in america my whole life and i have never once seen anyone were those, btw i had to goggle tartan trousers just see what they were
  • katey_my_lady
    katey_my_lady Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Sneakers are a dead giveaway.
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    i think this is all crazy!! be who you are...and be proud!! who gives a %$#& what they think?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Avoid Italy. There are plenty of countries that would love to have American Tourist dollars. If Italy doesn't want American tourists (dollars), screw 'em.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Avoid Italy. There are plenty of countries that would love to have American Tourist dollars. If Italy doesn't want American tourists (dollars), screw 'em.

Italy is one of the best countries I have ever visited, why would you say that? Italy needs tourists, nobody other than the OP's family think that there is a problem with Italy.

Travel broadens the mind, travel abroad as much as you possibly can, other countries are fabulous, interesting, full of amazing things, people and food.
  • scrmngdsy
    scrmngdsy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm currently living in Rome.. Americans are everywhere.

It's not going to matter what you wear because you are going to be automatically understood as a tourist anyway.

Just dress as you normally would, feel comfortable, and enjoy it because it's beautiful.

Also, it's starting to get REALLY hot here, so bring airy clothes that won't stifle you as you'r walking millions of miles a day.

The only tip I would give you is to not be too revealing, because Italian men are NOT shy about their love for foreign girls showing skin ;)
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    There's a couple of reasons why I haven't traveled out of the US. 1) I can't afford it. :( 2) I'm too scared of anti-american people kidnapping, mugging or murdering me for being American. Based on what I see on the news on online, most of the world seems to hate Americans and I don't blame them, we are quite obnoxious. Do try to have fun though. My bf wants to go to Italy for our honeymoon if we get married and I'm too scared that I won't make it out alive. D:

are you SERIOUS? I was more scared of going to America than going to Egypt. You guys have loads of guns and shoot each other all the time....

Italy is fabulous, fabulous.

I don't own a gun. They scare me too. I don't even venture into the cities after dark in my own state because of all the thugs with guns. Every time I turn on the news it seems that an American is getting murdered in a foreign country because they don't like us. I've also never been on an airplane, which also scares me. Knowing my luck, I'd be on the plane that gets blown up by a terrorist. Maybe I can ask my bf if we can go to Hawaii instead? I'd feel much safer. >.<

Just make sure you're not sensitive to the sun in Hawaii. I got the worse burnt ever there even with sunblock.

I get burned bad enough in New Jersey and Delaware, even with sunblock. Guess I'll never go to the beach again without a giant hat and umbrella. I hate being so pale. >.<
    ...I seriously hope this chick is joking, and isn't this afraid of her shadow.

Is it hard to believe that people live in fear in this scary world? My shadow is just fine, thank you very much. I reinforce every lock in my house before going to bed, otherwise I can't sleep. I took self defense classes in college and carried pepper spray everywhere. >.<

The best thing you could probably do for yourself and anxiety is push yourself out of your comfort zone to get your mind de-sensitise . Next time you are scared to do something, do your best to tell yourself you are going to do it despite the fear and then do it. You'll feel loads better afterwards and overtime the anxiety and fear will start to take a back seat. I suffer from anxiety myself and panic attacks, had a bit the type you did where certain things I just couldn't get myself to do it, especially if it involved going somewhere crowded. I have a hard time with medications so really had to push myself to go out there and get through the areas that would trigger all of that.

Its also good because you may never know when there could be an emergency and you have to go somewhere you might be scared of. Like say your boyfriend got stranded or something and needed to you to drive to him, there might be a time when someone won't be able to bail you out or you might be able to rely on someone to help you or someone might rely on you. I had to travel a bit from my area I'm in and go thorough some major cities that I wasn't to familiar with, it was pretty scarey and I had to do my first trip alone with taking a subway, many buses etc.

Trust me it was hard but I made sure to research ahead of time so I had an understand of my route, have a phone on me for if I did run into any trouble. During the trip I did get mix up and almost missed my bus but I spoke with one of the other bus drivers and he showed me where to go so don't be scared to speak up to get help if you do get lost. Now this area that I was scared of I can go through with no problems and I'm very happy since now if anything happened over in that direction I can get there with no problems and can now head that way for other things as well, my anxiety had lighten up greatly as well. Don't give in to your anxiety.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    meaning don't wear thing revealing, Italy women don't wear low cut shirts and usualy wear a cover-up over their bathing suits. No mini skirts etc
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    The best thing you could probably do for yourself and anxiety is push yourself out of your comfort zone to get your mind de-sensitise . Next time you are scared to do something, do your best to tell yourself you are going to do it despite the fear and then do it. You'll feel loads better afterwards and overtime the anxiety and fear will start to take a back seat. I suffer from anxiety myself and panic attacks, had a bit the type you did where certain things I just couldn't get myself to do it, especially if it involved going somewhere crowded. I have a hard time with medications so really had to push myself to go out there and get through the areas that would trigger all of that.

Its also good because you may never know when there could be an emergency and you have to go somewhere you might be scared of. Like say your boyfriend got stranded or something and needed to you to drive to him, there might be a time when someone won't be able to bail you out or you might be able to rely on someone to help you or someone might rely on you. I had to travel a bit from my area I'm in and go thorough some major cities that I wasn't to familiar with, it was pretty scarey and I had to do my first trip alone with taking a subway, many buses etc.

Trust me it was hard but I made sure to research ahead of time so I had an understand of my route, have a phone on me for if I did run into any trouble. During the trip I did get mix up and almost missed my bus but I spoke with one of the other bus drivers and he showed me where to go so don't be scared to speak up to get help if you do get lost. Now this area that I was scared of I can go through with no problems and I'm very happy since now if anything happened over in that direction I can get there with no problems and can now head that way for other things as well, my anxiety had lighten up greatly as well. Don't give in to your anxiety.

Well, I won't be leaving the country any time soon as I can't afford it. I'll be putting all my effort into saving money to get a car so I can learn to drive, sooo I'll be needing all the support I can get then. Luckily my job is less than 2 miles from home so I wouldn't have to drive far. :)

I traveled on a train by myself and that turned out okay, despite the anxiety I was feeling beforehand. So yeah, I'm getting what you're saying. I've just never really done a lot of things by myself because of my anxiety. I'll get there...hopefully without medication because I don't wanna go down that route again. Thanks for the help.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    There's a couple of reasons why I haven't traveled out of the US. 1) I can't afford it. :( 2) I'm too scared of anti-american people kidnapping, mugging or murdering me for being American. Based on what I see on the news on online, most of the world seems to hate Americans and I don't blame them, we are quite obnoxious. Do try to have fun though. My bf wants to go to Italy for our honeymoon if we get married and I'm too scared that I won't make it out alive. D:

Oh for goodness sakes, this is getting ridiculous. I'm American, although I've lived in Europe for almost half my life. I've traveled everywhere and I've never had any issues. I was even in Iraq about six months ago, and I survived. And Iraqis have millions of reasons to hate Americans....

You don't need to put a Canadian flag on your backpack. Just be polite. Don't be obnoxious. Don't expect everyone to speak English. Dress nicely, it's a form of respect. And lay off the "America is God's gift to the world" crap and you'll be fine, just fine.

The only thing you need to worry about in Italy is getting ripped off by the taxi drivers from the airport to your hotel. Other than that, go and have a great time. It's a beautiful country.

--Prahasaurus
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options

are you SERIOUS? I was more scared of going to America than going to Egypt. You guys have loads of guns and shoot each other all the time....

Italy is fabulous, fabulous.

Are you really more scared to go to America than Egypt?
  • Prahasaurus
    Options
    I can't believe I am saying this, but SPNLuver83 is right. Be American and proud! Have you ever met someone who wasn't proud of their heritage? The USA has protected THE WORLD from several regimes intent on global domination or genocide of entire races.

A regime intent on global domination? Who would that be.... Think, think, think..... Oh the irony!
    You know, we have people from all over the world here in the USA and we don't look down on them based on where they are from. (Well, maybe Canada, lol) If someone over there has a problem with me being an American... F 'EM! They are probably wearing Nike's, Wrangler Jeans, and an Abercrombie shirt which will make it very ironic.

Because everything they are wearing was made in China?

--Prahasaurus
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I am saying this, but SPNLuver83 is right. Be American and proud! Have you ever met someone who wasn't proud of their heritage? The USA has protected THE WORLD from several regimes intent on global domination or genocide of entire races.

A regime intent on global domination? Who would that be.... Think, think, think..... Oh the irony!
    You know, we have people from all over the world here in the USA and we don't look down on them based on where they are from. (Well, maybe Canada, lol) If someone over there has a problem with me being an American... F 'EM! They are probably wearing Nike's, Wrangler Jeans, and an Abercrombie shirt which will make it very ironic.

Because everything they are wearing was made in China?

--Prahasaurus

Ooo be careful - I got told off on the previous page for being an ignorant foreigner when I made (joking!) comments like this earlier :tongue:
  • Prahasaurus
    Options
    Are you really more scared to go to America than Egypt?

Depends. Egypt has gotten a bit unstable of late, although its former stability was an illusion: a US backed tyrant using US weapons to subjugate his people. So again, Egyptians have legitimate reasons to be quite upset at Americans, at least the American government... This wasn't discussed much in the US. Mubarak went from being a partner in peace to a dictator overnight, and the past was quickly white washed. But I digress.....

I travel all over the Middle East, and I've always felt safe. Violence is incredibly rare there. Only in Iraq was I extremely careful.

The US can be a very dangerous place, too, although the violence is typically confined to specific areas that can be easily avoided.

I would rather walk the streets of Alexandria at night than Detroit. But on the other hand, Egypt is a country in transition, and probably not safe now for most American tourists. Especially those that do not often travel, especially to that region of the world.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options

Italy is one of the best countries I have ever visited, why would you say that? Italy needs tourists, nobody other than the OP's family think that there is a problem with Italy.

Travel broadens the mind, travel abroad as much as you possibly can, other countries are fabulous, interesting, full of amazing things, people and food.
    I travelled to Italy as well. In 1977. Had a blast and would love to go again, but.....if they are going to treat me badly, because of their perception of Americans, I will spend my vacation elsewhere.

I'm personally tired of being judged based on my country of origin. If someone doesn't like me because of the person I am, that's fine. If someone judges me based on where I was born, why would I want to hang out there?

It's a big world. Lot's of places to visit.