silly Americans

Options

Replies

• zerbe6982
    zerbe6982 Posts: 68
    Options
    What's wrong with Sneakers and backpacks? I will be visiting both London and Paris in November. Are sneakers and backpacks really a problem?

lol Its OK, you are an American, you will fit in with all the other American tourists in London, you might not be allowed in nice restaurants in sneakers, they are not considered to be acceptable in some places, but to shleep round the tourist sites that is just fine..oh and fanny...means vagina in England, just so you know x

LOL...Not that I will have a fanny pack (I hate them), but thanks. It's good to know what words I shouldn't use. :)
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with Sneakers and backpacks? I will be visiting both London and Paris in November. Are sneakers and backpacks really a problem?

lol Its OK, you are an American, you will fit in with all the other American tourists in London, you might not be allowed in nice restaurants in sneakers, they are not considered to be acceptable in some places, but to shleep round the tourist sites that is just fine..oh and fanny...means vagina in England, just so you know x

Your not allowed in nice restaurants here in the states either. I can show you pics of my trip to England, and WOW they are wearing sneakers to. Or... they were all Canadian. :)
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    England is also our 51 st state, they just dont want to admit it.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    There's a couple of reasons why I haven't traveled out of the US. 1) I can't afford it. :( 2) I'm too scared of anti-american people kidnapping, mugging or murdering me for being American. Based on what I see on the news on online, most of the world seems to hate Americans and I don't blame them, we are quite obnoxious. Do try to have fun though. My bf wants to go to Italy for our honeymoon if we get married and I'm too scared that I won't make it out alive. D:

are you SERIOUS? I was more scared of going to America than going to Egypt. You guys have loads of guns and shoot each other all the time....

Italy is fabulous, fabulous.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    People in other nations are butt-hurt that America is so rich, powerful and fabulous.
    SCREW THEM!
    I go abroad and make no allowances for anything, because I am American and proud of it.
    Once you start groveling and pandering to people's sniveling, it never ends.
    Do as you please.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    There's a couple of reasons why I haven't traveled out of the US. 1) I can't afford it. :( 2) I'm too scared of anti-american people kidnapping, mugging or murdering me for being American. Based on what I see on the news on online, most of the world seems to hate Americans and I don't blame them, we are quite obnoxious. Do try to have fun though. My bf wants to go to Italy for our honeymoon if we get married and I'm too scared that I won't make it out alive. D:

are you SERIOUS? I was more scared of going to America than going to Egypt. You guys have loads of guns and shoot each other all the time....

I don't own a gun. They scare me too. I don't even venture into the cities after dark in my own state because of all the thugs with guns. Every time I turn on the news it seems that an American is getting murdered in a foreign country because they don't like us. I've also never been on an airplane, which also scares me. Knowing my luck, I'd be on the plane that gets blown up by a terrorist. Maybe I can ask my bf if we can go to Hawaii instead? I'd feel much safer. >.<
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

It's Italy, ferchrissakes, not Somalia or Afghanistan.

The news is not the best place to form such opinions... I've been to 6 or so Euro countries, and even lived in Germany for a bit. People are *much* friendlier than you think.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    This is a really odd post.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I think that is kinda lame... You should be proud of where you are from, and not try to disguise it. Maybe if you own it and just act like a normal person you will change some minds about Americans. I think that would be the better end result.

I can't believe I am saying this, but SPNLuver83 is right. Be American and proud! Have you ever met someone who wasn't proud of their heritage? The USA has protected THE WORLD from several regimes intent on global domination or genocide of entire races.

You know, we have people from all over the world here in the USA and we don't look down on them based on where they are from. (Well, maybe Canada, lol) If someone over there has a problem with me being an American... F 'EM! They are probably wearing Nike's, Wrangler Jeans, and an Abercrombie shirt which will make it very ironic.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I think that is kinda lame... You should be proud of where you are from, and not try to disguise it. Maybe if you own it and just act like a normal person you will change some minds about Americans. I think that would be the better end result.

What she said..... ^^^^^ ;-)
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Just go and have a good time. My experience in Europe has always been that as long as you don't act like a snotty/arrogant american, eat the local foods, maybe ATTEMPT some of their language, you'll be fine! ENJOY Italy! I LOVED it!!
  • LeisureRunner
    Options
    THIS! <3

Why be ashamed to be an American? We're not perfect, but then again who is? Wear what you feel comfortable in, don't worry about it.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I think what she is saying, try to "blend in". This would make you appear less touristy and hence less of a mark for the more unscrupulous types. Find some photos from Italy and try to blend toward that attire.. street photos, not from some tourist type setting where they are in traditional garb or anything... Of course in the end, you are American and should be proud of the fact... Just by not looking like somebody who is obviously foreign perhaps you can avoid those who would take advantage. Have a great journey.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Also, I wouldn't dress up for the pope...who is he? No one, just a man. I wear jeans and a t shirt to my own church home because that's what I have. What will they do, throw you out of the country because a MAN who thinks he's a god doesn't like your clothes?? I don't think so. And, if they do, I wouldn't want to go there anyway. That's just me.
    The only reason to take a a shawl or whatever to a cathedral is to have it in case it's chilly....not to cover your head or attempt to make it look like a silly skirt because you've got boobs and a vagina. Do the men have to take a shawl to wrap around their jeans like a skirt???? NO, they don't so why should we women have to. Here's a revelation ppl....GOD DOESN'T CARE ABOUT YOUR CLOTHES....HE CARES ABOUT YOUR HEART!!!

^^ This is why they will know you are from the United States. And why they will think you are a boor. You wear what is expected out of respect for other people's culture, traditions, and beliefs.

Exactly. When I was in Italy, we were not allowed to go into certain churches because we were in shorts. Respect people. You are a guest in another country. Show respect.
    Very true. Church is serious business in Italy. When I was there I got a bit lost on my way to the church I wanted to visit and walked in about 5 minutes late. I was stared at very intensly as I sat in the back row. I also noticed that I was very under dressed...mind you not inappropriate, but underdressed.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Be polite: Let others go first. Chew with your mouth closed. Talk so that only the person you are talking to can hear you. Don't point. Don't chew gum like a cow chewing cud. Don't make references to "we have this a home" or "ours is better". Give up your seat on a bus. Smile and treat service staff as your equal, not your servant.

These are rules that you should follow anywhere, not just oversees.

I would agree with the point that you shouldn't obnoxiously point out that you're an American. Sometimes tourists can kind of blend in. When I was in Girl Scouts, we went to Washington DC, and there was a Russian guy there. I would have never known that he was Russian, but the tour guide rudely asked where he was from because he had an accent.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Avoid fanny packs! In fact, everyone should avoid them.
    and avoid saying "fanny" in polite company in most English speaking places
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    don't wear sneakers for anything other than exercise
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options

This is a same. Our country has many beautiful things to see and not everyone is an idiot when it comes to guns or weapons. I would love to travel abroad.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options

It's Italy, ferchrissakes, not Somalia or Afghanistan.

The news is not the best place to form such opinions... I've been to 6 or so Euro countries, and even lived in Germany for a bit. People are *much* friendlier than you think.

Italy's the place where all those people died on a cruise ship because the captain was a freaking moron. Also that girl was stranded there for years in that trial because they assumed she killed her roommate because their justice system is horrible. I'm treated poorly in my own country at times, I can't imagine how much people would hate me outside the US. >.<
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    to all the people who are too scared to travel to other countries and are afraid to head into cities at night. I feel very sorry for you. You are missing out on life.