silly Americans

Options

Replies

• chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Tartan is that coloured cross-striped woollen material that kilts are made from. Loud checked or plaid trousers (like what golfers wear).

I have yet to see anyone wear that in the States unless their like....90 years old maybe

LOL...My 20 year old son wears them all the time! However, he is the only one of his peers who does. It's kind of his trademark.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    Ok, the "tartan" trousers....who in their right minds wear those??? Yikes! Anyway, if I go anywhere...within or outside of the states...I will be myself COMPLETELY. I dress the same at home, on vacation (which I never go on because that takes money that I don't have lol) or wherever. Just be yourself.
    the bay city rollers did lmao and i had tartan socks as a girl with their faces on hahaha
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Be polite: Let others go first. Chew with your mouth closed. Talk so that only the person you are talking to can hear you. Don't point. Don't chew gum like a cow chewing cud. Don't make references to "we have this a home" or "ours is better". Give up your seat on a bus. Smile and treat service staff as your equal, not your servant.

Shouldn't this just be the norm no matter where you are???

It should be. Isn't it sad, though, that people need to be reminded?
  • sdow
    sdow Posts: 71
    Options
    I have been to Europe. It really doesn't matter what you wear, the minute you talk they will know you are an American. I found that just being polite and respectful of their country is more important than what you look like. Have fun. Enjoy the sites and be experimental.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would avoid is shorts, especially for men. The Italians think that shorts are for little boys only, so it will be painfully obvious that you're American if you have them on. Also, you might not be allowed in churches if you're wearing shorts (and in Italy you never know when you might stumble across a beautiful one that you'll want to go in). I wear dresses and heels when I go to Italy, but that's only because it's what I normally wear at home. Anyone who wants to steal from you or scam you (gypsies, cab drivers) will know you're tourists regardless because you're not speaking fluent Italian. Everyone else simply won't care that you're American. Of course, it always helps to know a few words or phrases in the language wherever you travel-- it shows that you're interested in the culture and the locals always appreciate it.
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm American and I have traveled all over Europe. I don't dress any differently there than I do at home. They're going to peg you as an American as soon as you open your mouth anyway. I wouldn't sweat it. Just go and have fun!
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Have a great time. Dont worry about anything you will be fine. Believe me they need the tourism business.
  • skoshness
    skoshness Posts: 175
    Options
    Ok, the "tartan" trousers....who in their right minds wear those??? Yikes! Anyway, if I go anywhere...within or outside of the states...I will be myself COMPLETELY. I dress the same at home, on vacation (which I never go on because that takes money that I don't have lol) or wherever. Just be yourself.

haha it's usually older male tourists that wear tartan trousers here, bit of a stupid stereotypical joke :smile:

and good advice, just be yourself and dress for hot weather in Italy, wish I was going there!
  • MichelleC2012
    Options
    the bay city rollers did lmao and i had tartan socks as a girl with their faces on hahaha
    Well, you got me....okay...other than rock stars who want to be noticed??? LOL...I know of the Bay City Rollers but they were before my time, musically anyway :)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Well, if you're that ashamed of it:

1) Renounce citizenship.
    2) Move to Mexico
    3) Wear sombrero to Italy
    4) Enjoy new life in beautiful Ciudad Juárez.

haha, I'm not ashamed. I didn't think anything of it until my family started "warning" me.

Perhaps I should move to Mexico anyhow, it would be a lot warmer than New Hampshire.. all I know how to say is "where is the bathroom/library/fire/pants" though. My vocab is lacking.

donde esta el bano. Most important phrase to know in any language.

I really wouldn't worry about it overly outside of places where you have to cover your face.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna say avoid fanny packs, brightly colored clothing and bold patterns, and obsessively reading maps. Attempt to learn enough Italian to get you by without looking "american". Just be respectful.
  • skoshness
    skoshness Posts: 175
    Options

ohno you didn't did you? :laugh:
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I think that is kinda lame... You should be proud of where you are from, and not try to disguise it. Maybe if you own it and just act like a normal person you will change some minds about Americans. I think that would be the better end result.

This...all the way
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    Well, you got me....okay...other than rock stars who want to be noticed??? LOL...I know of the Bay City Rollers but they were before my time, musically anyway :)
    billy connelly he wore em
  • MichelleC2012
    Options
    Cheese and crackers SOME PEOPLE! READ! She didn't say she was ashamed! There are places in the world where being American can get you in trouble or do you not keep up with the news and travel warnings? Some places will try to rip you off because you are American. Some places you will get kidnapped because you are American.

I think what her mother was trying to say was don't look like a tourist.

thank you for this!!

I've heard time and again that sneakers are a huge giveaway. I have friends who were denied seating in a restaurant in France because they were wearing sneakers
    Wow, that would be unfair to someone like me who is only able to wear sneakers due to a problem with one of my feet. Seems a little ridiculous but maybe it was a restaurant I wouldn't go to anyway if it was so fancy that they wouldn't allow you in if you're wearing sneakers :)
  • CrazyMidget611
    CrazyMidget611 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My husband and I went to Italy last year for our honeymoon, and even though I'm sure we stuck out (they dress so much better than I do!), we were respectful, tried to speak the language as best we could (hubby's dad grew up in Italy, so we knew a few basics, but we also picked up quite a bit while being over there), and were polite. No one seemed to have a problem with us. And in fact, when we visited Cortona, people came up to us specifically because they had seen walking through the town and wanted to introduce themselves (Small town + winter = NO tourists except us!). We found everyone to be extremely friendly and helpful!
  • MichelleC2012
    Options
    billy connelly he wore em
    Ah...Billy Connelly....never heard of him LOL
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Avoid fanny packs! In fact, everyone should avoid them.

And if you must use one, DO NOT call it a fanny pack, unless you want everyone around you to laugh at you!
    Just to clear this up, in Europe, fanny in English means a vajayjay. We call them bumbags. But honestly, nothing says tourist like wearing one so avoid, avoid, avoid.
    Tartan is that coloured cross-striped woollen material that kilts are made from. Loud checked or plaid trousers (like what golfers wear).
    This is the equivelant of every tourist, ever, coming to London and making a beeline for an I <3 London t-shirt.
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Honestly, don't worry about it!! I studied there for a semester and fashion was pretty similar! Just pack what you would for a vacation around here. Short, jeans, dresses, etc.. Everyone I met was really nice and if you at least tried to speak some Italian (and don't yell at them like they're deaf, they just speak another language :P ) you'll be fine! Enjoy the food there, I've never had more delicious meals than I did in the 3 1/2 months I was there!! Also, a purse that goes across the body is best. There are gypsys there, so you want to make sure you carry the purse towards your front, and guys should keep their wallets in their front pockets. Where are you going while you're there?? If you're going to Florence, let me know and I'll suggest some restaurants for you to try!! Have a blast and embrace the beautiful culture there!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    my family is from spain, i speak spanish perfectly, and have spent many summers in spain... and when i get to barcelona and sit at a restaurant, they still hand me a menu in english. they can see it, no matter what.

like others said, just be courteous, and don't assume everyone speaks english. pick up a english-italian phrase book. learn the phrase "Dove si trova il tratorria dove si mangia?" it means, "where is a restaurant where you eat?" use the word 'tratorria' because it implies smaller venue, and homecooked style. 'ristorant' means fancy restaurant. you don't want that.

if you are going to italy, i'm going to assume you might hit rome, and if you go to rome, you'll probably go to the Vatican and some churches. they won't let you in if your knees and shoulders are exposed. Same goes for guys. Bring a skirt that goes past your knees, and something to cover your shoulders. i recommend wearing one of those thin 'hippie' skirts and a cardigan to throw on top of you. the worst thing is being turned away, and being directed to one of the nearby shops to buy paper pants and jacket.