silly Americans

Replies

• Jem_Girl
    Jem_Girl Posts: 102 Member
    I am English and I think that the one thing I have noticed about my Canadian Husband, and yes I know this is about Americans, but the thing i notice is he has no idea how to dress appropriately, his idea of smart casual is jeans and a tshirt and he wears trainers, sneakers to you guys, all the bloody time...I don't know a single other man of his age who does, unless they are running, he also wears caps...NOBODY of his age wears caps, its just not done, he is loud and noisy, just being alive makes him stand out, he dresses terribly, his sense of style is totally absent, totally. he wears slogan tshirts for goodness sake.

Does that apply to all British men or just to English ones? I wonder if I'm married to the only Scottish man who dresses like an American. :laugh: Or maybe it's because he's from Glasgow... Now granted, when he wants to be all snazzy, he knows how to dress up, but jeans or shorts, slogan shirts, baseball caps and sneakers are everyday clothing for him. Granted I've only spent a few months in Scotland, but I don't remember him looking very different from his friends.

Edit: Oh and to the OP, if you go to Rome, I highly recommend the restaurant The Old Bear. Favorite restaurant ever. http://www.oldbear.it
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    I heard people tell americans to wear Canadian things..Flags and such... Im canadian and have heard alot of people tell that to Americans. You could try it? lol
  • foxy2311
    foxy2311 Posts: 179
    Only thing I can think of as "touristy" is a fanny pack! lol....
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    When I travel, I don't feel the need to hide the fact I'm American. Just be polite and well-mannered and people will reflect that courtesy back to you. Europeans aren't THAT anti-American. They might not agree with our politics, but I doubt you'll see contempt on a personal level.

And who cares if your clothes 'look' American - foreigners visiting the U.S. always stand out, too. Europeans dress differently than we do. I don't know why that's a problem?
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Also, I wouldn't dress up for the pope...who is he? No one, just a man. I wear jeans and a t shirt to my own church home because that's what I have. What will they do, throw you out of the country because a MAN who thinks he's a god doesn't like your clothes?? I don't think so. And, if they do, I wouldn't want to go there anyway. That's just me.
    The only reason to take a a shawl or whatever to a cathedral is to have it in case it's chilly....not to cover your head or attempt to make it look like a silly skirt because you've got boobs and a vagina. Do the men have to take a shawl to wrap around their jeans like a skirt???? NO, they don't so why should we women have to. Here's a revelation ppl....GOD DOESN'T CARE ABOUT YOUR CLOTHES....HE CARES ABOUT YOUR HEART!!!
    I feel the feminist movement at work here.

Seriously...it's about respect and being an adult. Just because you walk into a cathedral dressed appropriately does not mean the church is going to go all stepford and try to assimilate you. It is a different house of worship than yours with guidelines and requirements that should be respected if you so choose to visit.

OP...you've gotten good advice. Hope you enjoy your trip.
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    I lived in Italy for 6 months. Like it or not, you're going to stick out :)

Just be respectful of the culture, the people, and the way of living. Take the time to learn about them and display your genuine interest in what they have to offer. You are going to have so much fun!
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Just be polite, and don't get too loud.
    And yes, I'd avoid wearing anything too wild.

When I went to Italy, apparently I fit in so well that the rest of the locals thought I was Italian.

I was speaking to a group of them who were actually telling me about how some Americans are treated better if they have Canadian flags on their luggage. I wouldn't get all crazy and deck yourself out in head to toe red and white maple leafs, but a button on your purse wouldn't hurt ;)
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    why would anyone fake being a Canadian? ive never had a problem traveling. are you supposed to have a fake back story as well when someone notices your Canadian token and asks where in canada are you from?
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Also, I wouldn't dress up for the pope...who is he? No one, just a man. I wear jeans and a t shirt to my own church home because that's what I have. What will they do, throw you out of the country because a MAN who thinks he's a god doesn't like your clothes?? I don't think so. And, if they do, I wouldn't want to go there anyway. That's just me.
    The only reason to take a a shawl or whatever to a cathedral is to have it in case it's chilly....not to cover your head or attempt to make it look like a silly skirt because you've got boobs and a vagina. Do the men have to take a shawl to wrap around their jeans like a skirt???? NO, they don't so why should we women have to. Here's a revelation ppl....GOD DOESN'T CARE ABOUT YOUR CLOTHES....HE CARES ABOUT YOUR HEART!!!

so funny. Italian's are generally catholic, the pope doesn't care what you wear. However if you want to enter the Vatican to view the Sistine Chapel (and I highly recommend it, it is stunningly beautiful, as is much of the walk to it), you have to be appropriately dressed. That means you have to have your legs covered. No covering of the head required. Just not allowed to wear shorts or short skirts. skirts still allowed so long as they generously cover the knee.

Don't cover up, don't get in. As they so often say here in the UK, simples!
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    just don't look vulnerable and easy to fool
    don't look like a walking cash machine

basic tourist survival tactics
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member

so funny. Italian's are generally catholic, the pope doesn't care what you wear. However if you want to enter the Vatican to view the Sistine Chapel (and I highly recommend it, it is stunningly beautiful, as is much of the walk to it), you have to be appropriately dressed. That means you have to have your legs covered. No covering of the head required. Just not allowed to wear shorts or short skirts. skirts still allowed so long as they generously cover the knee.

cover your shoulders and cleavage too!!
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member

cover your shoulders and cleavage too!!

Bene! Will do, wouldn't be proper to have my cleavage on show!
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Lol. Y'all have a funny opinion of Americans. I don't know of anyone who wears plaid pants or wears their hat backwards. Lol wouldn't associate with them if they did. Pretty funny though.

I think an important thing to remember is NOT to stereotype no matter where you are
    From or where you go.

People are rarely who they appear to be.

And as everyone else said be respectful and willing to learn.

Have fun!
  • zerbe6982
    zerbe6982 Posts: 68
    We went to Italy a few years ago and these were the things we avoided:
    Sneakers
    Cargo shorts
    tall socks (but that should be universal!)
    backpacks

Anything that makes you look like a tourist! I wore summer dresses and sandals the whole time. It was reallllllly hot in July, so be prepared for the heat!

What's wrong with Sneakers and backpacks? I will be visiting both London and Paris in November. Are sneakers and backpacks really a problem?
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member

I lived a year in Scotland (on exchange) and have traveled a good portion of Europe and I have to say that she is BANG on with her commentary. As a Canadian, I would like to say we are excluded from this type of behaviour for the most part, but it seems the younger generation is being heavily influenced by the media they consume and typically act the same way now.

Also for those who think "Well those people don't do that when they come to our country", there is such a things as:

1) Taking the higher road
    2) Leading by example

Being polite, respectful, understanding and the willing to learn goes a long way.

For the OP, whatever you do, don't compare their country with yours or say things "X is better in my country" and "Y is kind of like what we have back home" after someone has shown you something special to them.

You are also BANG on! :) Being mature and leading by example are huge. Just because other tourists are jerks (in your country or in another) doesn't mean you have to be. One of the best pieces of advice I ever got from the program was this: "It's not good, it's not bad, it's just different." That simple reminder really helped me a lot when times got hard and I felt down and homesick, and got annoyed by all the weird foreign ways. Just because it's different doesn't mean it's bad or that your way is better.

You mentioned Canada - there was a Canadian boy in the program with me in Italy, and he would really attack me for no reason I could see other than I was American and he had a chip on his shoulder. He'd say things like "I'm American too, it's all North America so don't call yourself American", and then say really aggressive attacking things about the US. I've never met another Canadian like that, it was so strange. My father is Canadian and I still have family in Alberta, I felt his attack on me was totally unjustified.

In the entire year I lived there, I really only had 1 problem with being American. There was a shop near my home where you could pick up various toiletries, household items, bus tickets, etc. and the shop owners clearly didn't like me. I never did anything to them, was never disrespectful, and they never refused to sell to me, but their attitude towards me was terrible. They'd be very nice to my family, but not to me. Simple solution - I didn't shop there anymore.

For the people here who say pretend to be Canadian - you can do that and it can work, but why are you denying your country? I'd rather be an American trying hard to be polite and respectful and make a good impression than a fake Canadian embarassed or ashamed of my home. The US is not perfect and we certainly have our problems, but it's also a country I'm proud to be a part of and it's my home.
  • AllisonMart
    I lived in Italy for 6 months. Like it or not, you're going to stick out :)

Just be respectful of the culture, the people, and the way of living. Take the time to learn about them and display your genuine interest in what they have to offer. You are going to have so much fun!

Absolutely this!
  • AllisonMart
    Oh, and absolutely do NOT get drawn into any political discussions with locals. It's just not worth it, no matter what your political views are.

Someone else on here mentioned "bella figura" - that's very important. There's no direct translation but it's presenting a good image both with your outward appearance and your attitude and mannerisms. It's a core philosophy of Italian life. You do not want to be labeled with "brutta figura".
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    There's a couple of reasons why I haven't traveled out of the US. 1) I can't afford it. :( 2) I'm too scared of anti-american people kidnapping, mugging or murdering me for being American. Based on what I see on the news on online, most of the world seems to hate Americans and I don't blame them, we are quite obnoxious. Do try to have fun though. My bf wants to go to Italy for our honeymoon if we get married and I'm too scared that I won't make it out alive. D:
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    What's wrong with Sneakers and backpacks? I will be visiting both London and Paris in November. Are sneakers and backpacks really a problem?

lol Its OK, you are an American, you will fit in with all the other American tourists in London, you might not be allowed in nice restaurants in sneakers, they are not considered to be acceptable in some places, but to shleep round the tourist sites that is just fine..oh and fanny...means vagina in England, just so you know x
  • DalexD
    DalexD Posts: 236 Member
    Ok, the "tartan" trousers....who in their right minds wear those??? Yikes! Anyway, if I go anywhere...within or outside of the states...I will be myself COMPLETELY. I dress the same at home, on vacation (which I never go on because that takes money that I don't have lol) or wherever. Just be yourself.
    the bay city rollers did lmao and i had tartan socks as a girl with their faces on hahaha
    Well, you got me....okay...other than rock stars who want to be noticed??? LOL...I know of the Bay City Rollers but they were before my time, musically anyway :)
    billy connelly he wore em
    Ah...Billy Connelly....never heard of him LOL

WHAT?