silly Americans

Options

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    What are 'tartan trousers' ?

might be called plaid pants in USA :smile:

Good one! But quite frankly, we don't want anyone wearing plaid trousers in the US either!
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    Act like a Canadian. :smile:
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I travel internationally quite a bit and I live in a tourist city. It really doesn't matter what you wear, you will be seen as a tourist. It's not only in the clothing, but most importantly in the attitude. And every place you travel has a different attitude and a different way of doing things. When you arrive, you may just want to sit and quietly people watch (the locals). And I agree with another post, try not to be loud. It's not only a dead giveaway, but rude in many countries. Otherwise, have a fantastic time! I've always wanted to go to Tuscany!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    My Daughter and Son in Law went to Rome in December, my Daughter is a very well travelled young lady, the one thing they did comment on was how gorgeous all the women were, and how fabulous all the men were in Rome, so stylish and so well dressed. I have been to Venice and it is true, people just look stylish, even in a tshirt and jeans, its just the way they wear them and the cut.

Its the same in Pairs.

I am English and I think that the one thing I have noticed about my Canadian Husband, and yes I know this is about Americans, but the thing i notice is he has no idea how to dress appropriately, his idea of smart casual is jeans and a tshirt and he wears trainers, sneakers to you guys, all the bloody time...I don't know a single other man of his age who does, unless they are running, he also wears caps...NOBODY of his age wears caps, its just not done, he is loud and noisy, just being alive makes him stand out, he dresses terribly, his sense of style is totally absent, totally. he wears slogan tshirts for goodness sake.

It has never been an issue for us when we travel, we have recently been to Italy, France and Egypt, the only issue is he can't dress smartly without me telling him how. He thinks its OK to wear his sneakers all the time, its NOT, he thinks its OK to wear his cap all the time it NOT, he thinks wearing jeans is smart...ITS NOT...

But its never caused anyone other than me an issue, I tell him if I think he is not dressed appropriately, and he ignores me. The only time it was an issue was when we were on the Orient Express, if you don't dress properly they don't let you out of your compartment, no jeans..at all...dinner jacket in the evening, shirt and tie in the day, he was almost having a fit when I told him, but I loved it, I got to wear a long dress to dinner, it was fabulous.

Just relax, be nice and not too loud, you will be fine
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    We had some Americans in our local pub recently, they really stood out.....because they were wearing shorts, flip flops and t-shirts on a cold, rainy day. I guess they thought as it was summer it would be warm, something you really cannot assume for the UK lol!!
    I´m from iceland and I have often been to Uk and be wearing t-shirt when people is fully dressed and complaining of how cold it is.
    Still sometime it´s warmer in Iceland than in Uk.
    So you can´t really say that someone is from USA just because they were shorts and t-shirts while other locals are fully dressed.
    :wink:
    No, but their obnoxiously loud conversations are usually a give-away :P

Last time I was in Norway, I was on the way back from the shopping centre waiting at the bus stop and there was an American couple, I would guess from California somewhere from the accent. I was quietly chatting to my girlfriend, with a bunch of other Norwegians around us chatting quietly, but christ they were loud. Everything had to be shouted at eachother and their kids. Both fully equipped with bumbags, sunglasses when there was nearly no sun and a complete disregard for the other people waiting - practically shoved their way on first when the bus pulled up.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I have lived in a lot of places-- London, Berlin, New York, Pretoria, Cape Town, Kinshasa, Bulawayo, now Boston-- it's very hard to hide the American-ness. Believe me, you just know. I think you'd be better off just enjoying your trip and not worrying so much about "looking American". It really isn't that big a deal :laugh:
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    on wiki how it gives you 10 steps on how tourists should dress italy lmao and thanksfor the help with pics
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Just tell everyone your canadian. Nobody hates the canadians. Honestly, there are a few countries, france and italy are one of them, where I would want to get in an argument about being an american. Im proud to be an american, and Ill defend that any day
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I lived in Italy for a year with an Italian family (exchange student), and learned to view American tourists as an Italian does. You can spot Americans from a mile away. I've also travelled a lot in Europe since then.

Don't wear bright colors or lots of patterns. Go for neutrals. Don't wear anything really revelaing (i.e. skimpy tank tops and short shorts). That's a huge giveaway and some churches won't let you in if you're not properly dressed. Wear sensible shoes, flip flops are only for indoors, are disrespectful, and are a sign too. Don't look a mess each day, Italians are very concious of appearance and if you look sloppy they will notice. Carrying around big tourist books isn't good either! Remember you want to blend as much as possible so you are not a target. Sporting a lot of brand name logos isn't good either, that indicates you have money and makes you a target.

Don't carry around huge bags. For one thing they will get heavy and you'll get tired of carrying them. Pack light. If you can't carry your suitcase around the entire block without stopping to rest, go home and take some things out. Bring just a small wallet-type purse, preferably cross body. Don't carry a lot of cash, leave some of it in the hotel safe. Also put your passport in the hotel safe, treat that thing like it's solid gold.

Most important is how you act. American tourists are incredibly loud, demanding, disrespectful, and annoying. It's really no wonder the rest of the world hates us. Be respectful, pay attention to the local rules and laws. Follow the signs. Tourist areas are well marked and you should have no trouble finding your way around. Be quiet, use an indoor voice at all times. Learn basic polite phrases like "excuse me", "thank you", "you're welcome", "ma'am" and "sir" and use them liberally. If you make an attempt to speak in their language, you will earn major brownie points and they will be more likely to help you. Smile a lot and be generally friendly, but also reserved and appreciative.

Have fun! Italy is wonderful.
    All of the above and eat local, spend your money with the locals and they will be more helpful, try and eat out / away from the hotel, Talk to the desk staff like you would talk to the most powerful person in your office, (ie with respect) and they will help you more. Keep most of your money in a money belt under your shirt, and if you get bumped into, don't reach for you wallet to check it is still there. (it is common trick to bump into some one to find where the mark's wallet is)
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    ^^ This is why they will know you are from the United States. And why they will think you are a boor. You wear what is expected out of respect for other people's culture, traditions, and beliefs.
    No offense but if this is the case...WE EXPECT YOU TO SPEAK ENGLISH IF YOU COME TO AMERICA. And before you say anything I should speak your langauge in your country...I agree if you are going to a country...learn as much about it as you can including the language but I am proud to be American and I do think it is the greatest free country out there. Sorry to be proud of my heritage. I would expect no less from any of you from other countries. As for being a boor...your post showed just how rude and insensitive you are but thank you for your opinion.

You can be proud but still polite. You don't seem to know the difference.

Edit: To fix quoting.
  • hyperhyper
    Options
    I lived in Italy for a year with an Italian family (exchange student), and learned to view American tourists as an Italian does. You can spot Americans from a mile away. I've also travelled a lot in Europe since then.

Don't wear bright colors or lots of patterns. Go for neutrals. Don't wear anything really revelaing (i.e. skimpy tank tops and short shorts). That's a huge giveaway and some churches won't let you in if you're not properly dressed. Wear sensible shoes, flip flops are only for indoors, are disrespectful, and are a sign too. Don't look a mess each day, Italians are very concious of appearance and if you look sloppy they will notice. Carrying around big tourist books isn't good either! Remember you want to blend as much as possible so you are not a target. Sporting a lot of brand name logos isn't good either, that indicates you have money and makes you a target.

Don't carry around huge bags. For one thing they will get heavy and you'll get tired of carrying them. Pack light. If you can't carry your suitcase around the entire block without stopping to rest, go home and take some things out. Bring just a small wallet-type purse, preferably cross body. Don't carry a lot of cash, leave some of it in the hotel safe. Also put your passport in the hotel safe, treat that thing like it's solid gold.

Most important is how you act. American tourists are incredibly loud, demanding, disrespectful, and annoying. It's really no wonder the rest of the world hates us. Be respectful, pay attention to the local rules and laws. Follow the signs. Tourist areas are well marked and you should have no trouble finding your way around. Be quiet, use an indoor voice at all times. Learn basic polite phrases like "excuse me", "thank you", "you're welcome", "ma'am" and "sir" and use them liberally. If you make an attempt to speak in their language, you will earn major brownie points and they will be more likely to help you. Smile a lot and be generally friendly, but also reserved and appreciative.

Have fun! Italy is wonderful.

I lived a year in Scotland (on exchange) and have traveled a good portion of Europe and I have to say that she is BANG on with her commentary. As a Canadian, I would like to say we are excluded from this type of behaviour for the most part, but it seems the younger generation is being heavily influenced by the media they consume and typically act the same way now.

Also for those who think "Well those people don't do that when they come to our country", there is such a things as:

1) Taking the higher road
    2) Leading by example

Being polite, respectful, understanding and the willing to learn goes a long way.

For the OP, whatever you do, don't compare their country with yours or say things "X is better in my country" and "Y is kind of like what we have back home" after someone has shown you something special to them.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    You can't hide being American, but you can surely avoid looking and acting obnoxious. Of course I'm American, I don't pretend to be otherwise, and I'm not fooling anyone. Just make an effort to observe, respect, and attempt participate in the local culture as a guest. Just open your eyes when you're there and observe.

I'd avoid any sort of unaware use of sneakers, shorts, cheap baggy jeans, and baseball hats in major cites, though. Boorish Americans always look childish.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    my friends who have traveled in eastern europe say its good to act and look like an American because the local ladies seem to like it. :)
  • NelehY
    NelehY Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Generally I've found that the American flag on the back pack is a bit of a clue!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I think you should worry more about acting like a stereotypical American (being loud, rude, disrespectful, demanding, expecting everyone to cater to you in English), then dressing like one (sports apparel, fanny packs, guide books glued to your nose).

If you behave like you would expect visitors to the States to behave, I doubt anyone is going to give you a hard time.
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    The comments on here are a good reason to visit other places in the US that you haven't seen, or hop up to Canada, its a beautiful country.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Just tell them you're Canadian.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Been reading how other countries know we are Americans because how loud we are, this reminds me of a time I was helping a tourist here in the US and one of the things that hit me that he was a tourist was how quiet he was being LOL. He got in close to whisper and was speaking very quietly which threw me off for a moment since strangers don't don't do that here, getting close to a person like that but he was just a tourist (he was asian, don't know from where) that was needing help working a ticket machine to catch the subway. That would be advice I would give to someone who ever wants to travel the US, don't move in to close on our personal space if you don't know the person.
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    You can't hide it. Don't bother trying. It won't matter if you try to blend in or not. The rest of the world can spot us from a mile away. Be who you are.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Gym shoes, like running shoes or cross trainers. Apparently that's waaaay American.