silly Americans

Options
squishycow7
squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
I'm going to Italy in a few weeks... and my family is freaking out saying DONT PACK ANYTHING THAT MAKES YOU LOOK AMERICAN!!! Hoping I'm not curb-stomped for being American even if I clearly appear as one, but -

What exactly should I be avoiding?

It's not like I wear the flag like a toga. I don't wear any sports-team shirts/hats/etc, I don't wear clothes with writing on it (aside from maybe 1 or 2 sweatshirts that I probably won't pack anyway), I don't wear I <3 George Bush tee's...

?!??!

Replies

• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    maybe hawaiian shirts and socks with sandals? I don't know all I can think of is my grandpas "bad tourist" vacation clothes! LOL I think europeans wear a lot of scarves.... maybe bring some scarves?? no idea. But have FUN!!!
  • skoshness
    skoshness Posts: 175
    Options
    don't wear tartan trousers, that's how we identify Americans in Scotland :laugh:
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    What are 'tartan trousers' ?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What are you planning on packing?

I'd say avoid very brightly patterned items.
  • skoshness
    skoshness Posts: 175
    Options
    What are 'tartan trousers' ?

might be called plaid pants in USA :smile:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Tartan is that coloured cross-striped woollen material that kilts are made from. Loud checked or plaid trousers (like what golfers wear).
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    use the word "eh" between every other word and you will be loved...
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    tartan is what you Americans call plaid, in Scotland they call it Tartan...

I can usually spot American tourists from a distance, they dress very differently, they act differently and they eat differently, don't worry about it, nobody is going to trouble you for being American, unless you rub their faces in how fabulous you think America is or tell them something about how its the land of the free and its better, nobody will care where you come from, you are bringing money in, that is what they care about, they economy is in the toilet right now. Just be nice, not too loud and you will be fine.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    Wear a Canadian hat......
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Please God no sweatpants or tennis shoes.

Don't talk so loudly. If you don't speak Italian, ask if they speak English first before blurting out your request.

When you take a cab, get ready to get ripped off.

Smile and have a great time. The food is fantastic. You'll walk it off, so don't worry.

--Prahasaurus
  • jennadelane
    jennadelane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Why be ashamed to be an American? We're not perfect, but then again who is? Wear what you feel comfortable in, don't worry about it.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    nobody is going to trouble you for being American, unless you rub their faces in how fabulous you think America is or tell them something about how its the land of the free and its better,

Ha, not a problem there!!
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    What exactly should I be avoiding?

?!??!
    [/quote]

When I lived overseas, I could HEAR the american's coming a mile away. On top of that they had a sense of entitlement... like EVERYONE should speak "american" (seriously, I heard it called american). Act like a good citizen of the world and you should be good.
  • ZumbaholicEmz
    ZumbaholicEmz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Try not to say things like:
    "Oh my god, look at that, that is so totally awesome!!" at the top of your voice whilst pointing at it! hehe x
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I think that is kinda lame... You should be proud of where you are from, and not try to disguise it. Maybe if you own it and just act like a normal person you will change some minds about Americans. I think that would be the better end result.
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    If you are planning to visit any cathedrals be sure to pack a scarf to cover your head or to wrap around your waist as skirt over your pants or shorts.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Avoid fanny packs! In fact, everyone should avoid them.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Well, if you're that ashamed of it:

1) Renounce citizenship.
    2) Move to Mexico
    3) Wear sombrero to Italy
    4) Enjoy new life in beautiful Ciudad Juárez.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Cheese and crackers SOME PEOPLE! READ! She didn't say she was ashamed! There are places in the world where being American can get you in trouble or do you not keep up with the news and travel warnings? Some places will try to rip you off because you are American. Some places you will get kidnapped because you are American.

I think what her mother was trying to say was don't look like a tourist.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    We had some Americans in our local pub recently, they really stood out.....because they were wearing shorts, flip flops and t-shirts on a cold, rainy day. I guess they thought as it was summer it would be warm, something you really cannot assume for the UK lol!!