silly Americans

Options

Replies

• freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I don't own a gun. They scare me too. I don't even venture into the cities after dark in my own state because of all the thugs with guns. Every time I turn on the news it seems that an American is getting murdered in a foreign country because they don't like us. I've also never been on an airplane, which also scares me. Knowing my luck, I'd be on the plane that gets blown up by a terrorist. Maybe I can ask my bf if we can go to Hawaii instead? I'd feel much safer. >.<

WOW! WOW is all I can say. You need to stop watching the Lifetime channel.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    F 'EM! They are probably wearing Nike's, Wrangler Jeans, and an Abercrombie shirt which will make it very ironic.

Manufactured by small children in sweat shops for the smallest of wages and none of the rights and freedoms americans are so proud of?

Ironic indeed.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    to all the people who are too scared to travel to other countries and are afraid to head into cities at night. I feel very sorry for you. You are missing out on life.

More like missing out on the opportunity to get killed. No thanks. There are too many bad people in the world to risk it.
    I don't own a gun. They scare me too. I don't even venture into the cities after dark in my own state because of all the thugs with guns. Every time I turn on the news it seems that an American is getting murdered in a foreign country because they don't like us. I've also never been on an airplane, which also scares me. Knowing my luck, I'd be on the plane that gets blown up by a terrorist. Maybe I can ask my bf if we can go to Hawaii instead? I'd feel much safer. >.<

I don't watch Lifetime. I watch normal TV and the news. Seriously, how can people not be afraid of these things? I'll never go on a cruise ship neither. D:
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    ^^ This is why they will know you are from the United States. And why they will think you are a boor. You wear what is expected out of respect for other people's culture, traditions, and beliefs.
    No offense but if this is the case...WE EXPECT YOU TO SPEAK ENGLISH IF YOU COME TO AMERICA. And before you say anything I should speak your langauge in your country...I agree if you are going to a country...learn as much about it as you can including the language but I am proud to be American and I do think it is the greatest free country out there. Sorry to be proud of my heritage. I would expect no less from any of you from other countries. As for being a boor...your post showed just how rude and insensitive you are but thank you for your opinion.

You can be proud but still polite. You don't seem to know the difference.

Edit: To fix quoting.

I do not believe I was rude. I simply stated an opinion. Someone mentioned Americans were boors. That was impolite or maybe it was ok to be rude to me because I am American. I am not rude to anyone but I will defend myself and my country when necessary. When I travel abroad, I would follow customs and traditions and yes I would learn a language(enough to be able to function anyway). I do not wear jeans or flipflops to church or places that it is not proper.

To the original poster:

Just go and have a good time. Be respectful to yourself!!!! You need not answer to anyone else. If it is not something you would normally wear to the proper place...dont wear it. Simple.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I think that is kinda lame... You should be proud of where you are from, and not try to disguise it. Maybe if you own it and just act like a normal person you will change some minds about Americans. I think that would be the better end result.

I can't believe I am saying this, but SPNLuver83 is right. Be American and proud! Have you ever met someone who wasn't proud of their heritage? The USA has protected THE WORLD from several regimes intent on global domination or genocide of entire races.

You know, we have people from all over the world here in the USA and we don't look down on them based on where they are from. (Well, maybe Canada, lol) If someone over there has a problem with me being an American... F 'EM! They are probably wearing Nike's, Wrangler Jeans, and an Abercrombie shirt which will make it very ironic.

word.com.org.edu

This thread is hilarious. My husband wanted to go to the zoo (Houston) yesterday (sigh...) for Father's Day and I swear we were the only Americans in the entire place. Do you think the women in their burkas tried to look "American?" No, and did we care? Of course not. Every single one of them (tourists from everywhere) had 1. a backpack and 2. a bigass camera strapped around their necks. Plus, I saw lots and lots and lots of soccer polos and I KNOW those weren't Americans wearing those things. Tourists here certainly don't try to look like nontourists -- maybe because they won't be bombarded for money? -- why does it matter? You ARE a tourist. Jeez.
  • freew67
    Options
    I don't watch Lifetime. I watch normal TV and the news. Seriously, how can people not be afraid of these things? I'll never go on a cruise ship neither. D:

Because everything your afraid of in other countries has happened here.
  • bio_fit
    Options
    Do you think the women in their burkas tried to look "American?"

How do you know they weren't American?
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Just remember you are a guest in their country. Wear appropriate travel clothes..not sweats and shorts and tshirts. Italy is a fashion powerhouse. I always got dressed up and went out. Remember the pleasantries before you request something. Saying Good morning, how are you goes a long way in getting a straight answer out of someone.

I always love travelling and am grateful for the locals help any time. In the past I get great dining options from them that most tourists don't get in to.

Good luck! Have fun.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    F 'EM! They are probably wearing Nike's, Wrangler Jeans, and an Abercrombie shirt which will make it very ironic.

Manufactured by small children in sweat shops for the smallest of wages and none of the rights and freedoms americans are so proud of?

Ironic indeed.

the sad thing is those workers probably have never thanked the American companies for giving them jobs.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    There's a couple of reasons why I haven't traveled out of the US. 1) I can't afford it. :( 2) I'm too scared of anti-american people kidnapping, mugging or murdering me for being American. Based on what I see on the news on online, most of the world seems to hate Americans and I don't blame them, we are quite obnoxious. Do try to have fun though. My bf wants to go to Italy for our honeymoon if we get married and I'm too scared that I won't make it out alive. D:

are you SERIOUS? I was more scared of going to America than going to Egypt. You guys have loads of guns and shoot each other all the time....

Italy is fabulous, fabulous.

Darling, I was not being serious about you all having guns, I am sure that you don't. I was just demonstrating that what you hear might not be right. Italy is a fabulous wonderful country, you should go, it will change your life forever if you do.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    to all the people who are too scared to travel to other countries and are afraid to head into cities at night. I feel very sorry for you. You are missing out on life.

More like missing out on the opportunity to get killed. No thanks. There are too many bad people in the world to risk it.

i hope you dont drive or travel in a car. that is probably the most likely way you will die.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

i hope you dont drive or travel in a car. that is probably the most likely way you will die.

...I seriously hope this chick is joking, and isn't this afraid of her shadow.
  • freew67
    Options

Especially if your in Italy or Canada!
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    you could dress just how they dress in italy and i'll be honest, they can still pick you out. :)

I went to Italy to visit family and i didn't care if people thought i was from America. my family wears some of the same things we have here in America...
    wear what you want to wear and enjoy the vacation.

:)
  • bio_fit
    Options
    the sad thing is those workers probably have never thanked the American companies for giving them jobs.

:bigsmile:
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    There's a couple of reasons why I haven't traveled out of the US. 1) I can't afford it. :( 2) I'm too scared of anti-american people kidnapping, mugging or murdering me for being American. Based on what I see on the news on online, most of the world seems to hate Americans and I don't blame them, we are quite obnoxious. Do try to have fun though. My bf wants to go to Italy for our honeymoon if we get married and I'm too scared that I won't make it out alive. D:

are you SERIOUS? I was more scared of going to America than going to Egypt. You guys have loads of guns and shoot each other all the time....

Italy is fabulous, fabulous.

Just make sure you're not sensitive to the sun in Hawaii. I got the worse burnt ever there even with sunblock.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

...I seriously hope this chick is joking, and isn't this afraid of her shadow.

Hawaii is a LONG swim too.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Darling, I was not being serious about you all having guns, I am sure that you don't. I was just demonstrating that what you hear might not be right. Italy is a fabulous wonderful country, you should go, it will change your life forever if you do.

Maybe once I'm not poor. I'll probably never be able to afford it so it's not like it matters. I can't afford to take a vacation in my own country. :/

Because everything your afraid of in other countries has happened here.
    [/quote]

I know. But it's less likely because I blend in with everyone else here. In another country, they'll see I look different so I'm more likely to be a target. I don't even travel alone in this country because I'm scared of being attacked.

I don't even have my license yet, so no. I don't. If it wasn't a requirement to survive in the US, I would never get my license but as soon as I can afford a car I'll be learning. I'll probably have to go back on my anti-anxiety medication to survive it though, which means I'll gain back all the weight I lost. >.<
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Also, I wouldn't dress up for the pope...who is he? No one, just a man. I wear jeans and a t shirt to my own church home because that's what I have. What will they do, throw you out of the country because a MAN who thinks he's a god doesn't like your clothes?? I don't think so. And, if they do, I wouldn't want to go there anyway. That's just me.
    The only reason to take a a shawl or whatever to a cathedral is to have it in case it's chilly....not to cover your head or attempt to make it look like a silly skirt because you've got boobs and a vagina. Do the men have to take a shawl to wrap around their jeans like a skirt???? NO, they don't so why should we women have to. Here's a revelation ppl....GOD DOESN'T CARE ABOUT YOUR CLOTHES....HE CARES ABOUT YOUR HEART!!!

^^ This is why they will know you are from the United States. And why they will think you are a boor. You wear what is expected out of respect for other people's culture, traditions, and beliefs.

Exactly. When I was in Italy, we were not allowed to go into certain churches because we were in shorts. Respect people. You are a guest in another country. Show respect.
    Very true. Church is serious business in Italy. When I was there I got a bit lost on my way to the church I wanted to visit and walked in about 5 minutes late. I was stared at very intensly as I sat in the back row. I also noticed that I was very under dressed...mind you not inappropriate, but underdressed.

I don't think it has anything to do with how you dress for church at home. It's a respect for other people and their culture and their customs. God doesn't care how I dress for work either..but if I showed up in jeans and a tee shirt, they'd send me home. You just have to dress appropriate for the occasion. It doesn't change my beliefs to be respectful of others. How would you like someone disrespecting you and your customs in your church? I wouldn't like it at all, so I give others the same courtesy.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    oh and one thing...please don't say 'can I get....?' in coffee shops etc when asking for a drink say 'please may i have....can I get implies you work there are want to fetch it yourself...that is all

This applies to everyone, take this advice, or I will stab you with a biro :flowerforyou: