Are "Trolls" Really Bad? ..... (An Open Discussion)

Options
gchutson
gchutson Posts: 657
Anyone that posts on any forums, anywhere, has likely heard the term "forum troll." Anyone that posts on any forms with any regularity has likely been called a "troll" by someone who didn't like what they had to say.

Disambiguation of the word "Troll"

First, let's educate everyone on the term "troll." The word "forum troll" does not reference big, green monsters from mythology, despite all the inane pictures people like to post in forum strings.

The term was originally coined to describe an individual that posts proactive topics in a form to evoke responses from other forum members.

The term references a verb, not "green monsters." Specifically, the act of "trolling." Trolling is an angling (fishing) term. It is the act of slowly dragging bait behind a boat to attract fish.

"Trolling" in a forum works the same way. The individual attempting to evoke a response from forum members by posting a topic or statement that will evoke an emotional response from others.

Accusations of being a "Troll"

Calling someone a "troll" has become the go to, automated response for many forum participants when they either don't like what another poster said, and/or don't have an effective response.

There are two different ways of viewing this particular issue.

Theory A: Everyone is a "troll." -- Everyone is posting information in a forum to evoke a response. Otherwise, why would you post in the first place?

Theory B: Trolls are those that deliberately and exclusively post "off-topic" subjects that are SPECIFICALLY designed to hurt other people emotionally.
Examples:
- "I hope all grandmas die from rabies" = Troll... because grandmas are not a standard topic, and their demise is sad.
- "All Michigan girls smell like ham" = Troll... because MI girls are not a standard topic, and most do not smell like ham.

I personally subscribe to Theory B.

Someone posting an opinion you don't like, does not establish them as a "troll."

Someone hiding behind the safety of a computer and anonymous screen name trying to hurt other people in an effort to fill the massive void in their self-esteem... is a "troll."

All that said, are "trolls" by either definition, inherently bad?

Trolls get people talking.
Trolls rally opinions and form bonds between other posters.
Trolls put other topics into clear perspective.

Thoughts?

Replies

• catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    While some are pretty horrible, there are some that openly say what we are all thinking anyway, and people don't want to hear/see that.
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I always thought trolls were the guys that show up to bars during last call in the hopes of "picking up" some random drunk chick and taking her home without having to shell out for beer or liquor?
  • gchutson
    Options
    While some are pretty horrible, there are some that openly say what we are all thinking anyway, and people don't want to hear/see that.

The Simon Cowell from American Idol Effect. Everyone "hated" him, yet most people completely agreed with his statements.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Funny post!! LOVE IT ;-)
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I hate trolls. They are....just stupid, IMO. When I post, I don't expect to get a response from someone, usually when I do, it's from someone who thinks they can make me look stupid by putting down my response.

Trolls are really bad. Usually, some come to the point of stalking a specific person, and trolling them. One girl, Amber ( who remembers her? ) made almost 10 accounts with Sophie because she hated her that much. And then she'd make off-topic topics hating Sophie..

A troll.

Or a girl, most should know if you were friends with her, aloneinsidek ( deactivated ).
    She was probably trolling us. I say probably, because she might've been serious.
    She had a fake ED, calling it EBNOS. She didn't know the real thing - EDNOS.
    And she was a train wreck. I honestly don't know if she was trying to make us mad on purpose and if you had seen her wall, we were b*tches to her. But, who knows. Maybe she was just that messed up in the head.

Trolls have no lifes IMO. The real trolls who post to make people mad on purpose. Or they are in a quite PMS-ing mood.
  • gchutson
    Options
    Funny post!! LOVE IT ;-)

I try.
  • gchutson
    Options
    I hate trolls. They are....just stupid, IMO. When I post, I don't expect to get a response from someone, usually when I do, it's from someone who thinks they can make me look stupid by putting down my response.

Trolls are really bad. Usually, some come to the point of stalking a specific person, and trolling them. One girl, Amber ( who remembers her? ) made almost 10 accounts with Sophie because she hated her that much. And then she'd make off-topic topics hating Sophie..

A troll.

Or a girl, most should know if you were friends with her, aloneinsidek ( deactivated ).
    She was probably trolling us. I say probably, because she might've been serious.
    And she was a train wreck. I honestly don't know if she was trying to make us mad on purpose and if you had seen her wall, we were b*tches to her. But, who knows. Maybe she was just that messed up in the head.

Trolls have no lifes IMO. The real trolls who post to make people mad on purpose. Or they are in a quite PMS-ing mood.

Yes... but... by that standard, everyone should simply sit around saying nice things, about nice people, all the nice-nice time.

I find that scenario... absolutely terrifying.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I don't mind trolls. I mind the people who get so worked up over the troll posts. Not everyone on the internet is going to agree with you and it is pointless to spend 20 posts fighting with anyone (let alone someone who possibly only posts to pi$$ off people).
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I don't like how the definition of "troll" has shifted over the years into the current understanding, which is generally someone who starts **** just to get a response.

Wikipedia desribes it pretty well:

"The most likely derivation of the word troll can be found in the phrase "trolling for newbies", popularized in the early 1990s in the Usenet group, alt.folklore.urban (AFU).[12][13] Commonly, what is meant is a relatively gentle inside joke by veteran users, presenting questions or topics that had been so overdone that only a new user would respond to them earnestly. For example, a veteran of the group might make a post on the common misconception that glass flows over time. Long-time readers would both recognize the poster's name and know that the topic had been discussed a lot, but new subscribers to the group would not realize, and would thus respond. These types of trolls served as a practice to identify group insiders. This definition of trolling, considerably narrower than the modern understanding of the term, was considered a positive contribution."

"Trolling" in its true sense requires cleverness and wit. It shouldn't be obvious to everyone when someone is trolling.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Trolls provide laughs. I don't have a problem with them.
  • gchutson
    Options
    I don't mind trolls. I mind the people who get so worked up over the troll posts. Not everyone on the internet is going to agree with you and it is pointless to spend 20 posts fighting with anyone (let alone someone who possibly only posts to pi$$ off people).

I love trolls. They amuse the hell out of me.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    In my fathers words "they can't argue with themselves"

... in some instances some people will give it a really good try though :)
  • gchutson
    Options
    I don't like how the definition of "troll" has shifted over the years into the current understanding, which is generally someone who starts **** just to get a response.

Wikipedia desribes it pretty well:

"The most likely derivation of the word troll can be found in the phrase "trolling for newbies", popularized in the early 1990s in the Usenet group, alt.folklore.urban (AFU).[12][13] Commonly, what is meant is a relatively gentle inside joke by veteran users, presenting questions or topics that had been so overdone that only a new user would respond to them earnestly. For example, a veteran of the group might make a post on the common misconception that glass flows over time. Long-time readers would both recognize the poster's name and know that the topic had been discussed a lot, but new subscribers to the group would not realize, and would thus respond. These types of trolls served as a practice to identify group insiders. This definition of trolling, considerably narrower than the modern understanding of the term, was considered a positive contribution."

"Trolling" in its true sense requires cleverness and wit. It shouldn't be obvious to everyone when someone is trolling.

Amen.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    So by in facts you stated you are trolling....great post thanks for the education.....
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options

A troll.

Yes... but... by that standard, everyone should simply sit around saying nice things, about nice people, all the nice-nice time.

I find that scenario... absolutely terrifying.

I don't think nice is in my vocabulary....LOL that was quite scary.
  • gchutson
    Options
    So by in facts you stated you are trolling....great post thanks for the education.....

I do enjoy gettin' my toll on, at times.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Anyone that posts on any forums, anywhere, has likely heard the term "forum troll." Anyone that posts on any forms with any regularity has likely been called a "troll" by someone who didn't like what they had to say.

Disambiguation of the word "Troll"

First, let's educate everyone on the term "troll." The word "forum troll" does not reference big, green monsters from mythology, despite all the inane pictures people like to post in forum strings.

The term was originally coined to describe an individual that posts proactive topics in a form to evoke responses from other forum members.

The term references a verb, not "green monsters." Specifically, the act of "trolling." Trolling is an angling (fishing) term. It is the act of slowly dragging bait behind a boat to attract fish.

"Trolling" in a forum works the same way. The individual attempting to evoke a response from forum members by posting a topic or statement that will evoke an emotional response from others.

Accusations of being a "Troll"

Calling someone a "troll" has become the go to, automated response for many forum participants when they either don't like what another poster said, and/or don't have an effective response.

There are two different ways of viewing this particular issue.

Theory A: Everyone is a "troll." -- Everyone is posting information in a forum to evoke a response. Otherwise, why would you post in the first place?

Theory B: Trolls are those that deliberately and exclusively post "off-topic" subjects that are SPECIFICALLY designed to hurt other people emotionally.
    Examples:
    - "I hope all grandmas die from rabies" = Troll... because grandmas are not a standard topic, and their demise is sad.
    - "All Michigan girls smell like ham" = Troll... because MI girls are not a standard topic, and most do not smell like ham.

I personally subscribe to Theory B.

Someone posting an opinion you don't like, does not establish them as a "troll."

Someone hiding behind the safety of a computer and anonymous screen name trying to hurt other people in an effort to fill the massive void in their self-esteem... is a "troll."

All that said, are "trolls" by either definition, inherently bad?

Trolls get people talking.
    Trolls rally opinions and form bonds between other posters.
    Trolls put other topics into clear perspective.

Thoughts?

Ever listen to Styx? " I've got too much time on my hands"................
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Trolls make the best Bacon....
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Well in reference to what I said before, trolls SOMETIMES say things we are already thinking, they just openly say it. Yeah to piss people off etc..but....there was an evil thread going around earlier that while I wouldn't put it in those words, the OP had a point.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Anything to justify your behavior on this forum as of late, eh?

How about explaining the definition of an asshat?