Are "Trolls" Really Bad? ..... (An Open Discussion)

Options

Replies

• SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    no we here from the lower part of Michigan are not bad at all. Yes we know what you youpers call us and hey that's fine as we do live under the bridge. Come on down and see the sights, enjoy our great outdoors and you will see we really are pretty great:)-
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    Well in reference to what I said before, trolls SOMETIMES say things we are already thinking, they just openly say it. Yeah to piss people off etc..but....there was an evil thread going around earlier that while I wouldn't put it in those words, the OP had a point.

Yeah, the "Fat Girls" thread. That thread was the catalyst for this one.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    trolls are skinnyfat and they don't eat back their exercise calories
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    But what if most MI girls DO smell like ham? I think that's a very subjective description of MI girls.
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    Anything to justify your behavior on this forum as of late, eh?

How about explaining the definition of an asshat?

A colloquial cliche' overtly utilized by individuals with devastatingly low self-esteem that constantly, and continuously vie for attention by "calling-out" those they consider superior and a subsequent threat, from the safety of a computer, a fake picture and an anonymous screen name.

Yeah. Ouch.

Next.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    i ♥ friendly trolls
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

A colloquial cliche' overtly utilized by individuals with devastatingly low self-esteem that constantly, and continuously vie for attention by "calling-out" those they consider superior and a subsequent threat, from the safety of a computer, a fake picture and an anonymous screen name.

Yeah. Ouch.

Next.

Oh, I love how you think you've turned my argument back around on me. However, I pointed out your low self-esteem several days ago when you decided to make some random statement belittling men who take pictures of themselves in the bathroom mirror with their shirts off on what would have otherwise been an excellent post!

Now, I shall be "calling you out" as a hypocrite. And while some "brutal honesty" doesn't make you a troll, your attempt to evoke a response whether it be positive or negative IS what makes you a troll.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    trolls are skinnyfat and they don't eat back their exercise calories

hey... then i must be one!
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    greasygriddle_wechnage Posts: 246 Member
    Options

Yeah. Ouch.

Next.

funny :smokin:
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    your attempt to evoke a response whether it be positive or negative IS what makes you a troll.

So is that a good thing or a bad thing?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    your attempt to evoke a response whether it be positive or negative IS what makes you a troll.

It's an attention-whoring thing!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    While some are pretty horrible, there are some that openly say what we are all thinking anyway, and people don't want to hear/see that.

The Simon Cowell from American Idol Effect. Everyone "hated" him, yet most people completely agreed with his statements.

And you are WAYYYYYYYY too serious!

lol................personally, I think trolls are kind of fun - I like to poke at 'em and give 'em some crap, and watch them scream and play their silly games!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    3792124+_39bd305536502cf7d18cc178aee2a3f9.png
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options

It's an attention-whoring thing!

• Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Trolls are just a-holes who want attention and post just to get some kind of reaction.
    Their aim is to hurt - not help.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I am enjoying the trolling occurring in a thread about trolling....well played.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options

Yeah. Ouch.

Next.

Oh, I love how you think you've turned my argument back around on me. However, I pointed out your low self-esteem several days ago when you decided to make some random statement belittling men who take pictures of themselves in the bathroom mirror with their shirts off on what would have otherwise been an excellent post!

Now, I shall be "calling you out" as a hypocrite. And while some "brutal honesty" doesn't make you a troll, your attempt to evoke a response whether it be positive or negative IS what makes you a troll.

This is exactly what I was talking about in my post earlier! :-)
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Anyone that posts on any forums, anywhere, has likely heard the term "forum troll." Anyone that posts on any forms with any regularity has likely been called a "troll" by someone who didn't like what they had to say.

Disambiguation of the word "Troll"

First, let's educate everyone on the term "troll." The word "forum troll" does not reference big, green monsters from mythology, despite all the inane pictures people like to post in forum strings.

The term was originally coined to describe an individual that posts proactive topics in a form to evoke responses from other forum members.

The term references a verb, not "green monsters." Specifically, the act of "trolling." Trolling is an angling (fishing) term. It is the act of slowly dragging bait behind a boat to attract fish.

"Trolling" in a forum works the same way. The individual attempting to evoke a response from forum members by posting a topic or statement that will evoke an emotional response from others.

Accusations of being a "Troll"

Calling someone a "troll" has become the go to, automated response for many forum participants when they either don't like what another poster said, and/or don't have an effective response.

There are two different ways of viewing this particular issue.

Theory A: Everyone is a "troll." -- Everyone is posting information in a forum to evoke a response. Otherwise, why would you post in the first place?

Theory B: Trolls are those that deliberately and exclusively post "off-topic" subjects that are SPECIFICALLY designed to hurt other people emotionally.
    Examples:
    - "I hope all grandmas die from rabies" = Troll... because grandmas are not a standard topic, and their demise is sad.
    - "All Michigan girls smell like ham" = Troll... because MI girls are not a standard topic, and most do not smell like ham.

I personally subscribe to Theory B.

Someone posting an opinion you don't like, does not establish them as a "troll."

Someone hiding behind the safety of a computer and anonymous screen name trying to hurt other people in an effort to fill the massive void in their self-esteem... is a "troll."

All that said, are "trolls" by either definition, inherently bad?

Trolls get people talking.
    Trolls rally opinions and form bonds between other posters.
    Trolls put other topics into clear perspective.

Thoughts?

I don't have a problem with people posting opinions with which I don't agree. I do take issue with it, however, when they do it in a way that is mean spirited or antagonistic. Unfortunately, the latter is all too often the case here on MFP. There is no need to post an opinion in a manner which tears other people down. There is no need to use a condescending tone. There is no need to make fun of and belittle people who may or may not know as much about certain topics as you do. They are here to learn. If you really, sincerely want to help people, the best way to do that is to answer their questions in a patient and courteous manner. Name calling, sarcasm, and bad attitudes are simply uncalled for.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I am enjoying the trolling occurring in a thread about trolling....well played.
    Yes, it's the inception of trolling
    tumblr_lh1sjtf78G1qdsm7s.gif
    Joker_popcorn.gif