Are "Trolls" Really Bad? ..... (An Open Discussion)

Options

Replies

• Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I read like three sentences and the rest went to Trollville..
  • _Thanatos_
    _Thanatos_ Posts: 166
    Options
    Depends. Some are actually funny and witty, while others are just outright *kitten*.
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    I like this discussion! I would add that I have seen two types of "trolls" on the MFP forums, or any forum in general:

1) The obvious "troll" - the one that starts a topic, never to return again to that topic. Just like the one that began this morning, the dude that started it was on his first ever forum post (under that username) and never returned again (under that username). The "trolls" are easy to spot because they throw out a bomb and never return and let the forum self destruct to lock out. The only entertainment value is the reactionaries going ballistic and then you lose the thread once it gets locked out and removed...:ohwell:

2) The hidden "troll" - This is a professional. They are frequent posters, may only rarely start the topic, but are willing to put in the work to keep kindling the fire. They may not throw a huge bomb, only a little one, and continue to feed it with patience and hard work to keep it going. They rarely ever let it get too out of hand so that it gets locked, but sometimes it happens, usually not even by their own posts, but by the ones that are responding to the fire they have kindled. These are very interesting threads, and very easy to fall prey to.

Just my opinion! No haters!! < this is sometimes also a trademark of a troll, but not always!

I'm definitely a professional. However, using my actual name, actual picture and starting 1-3 original threads a day (that are based on real topics... usually... tee hee)... I do not qualify as "hidden."
  • JJC09081989
    Options
    I consider myself a 'troll' sometimes when I want to be an *kitten* in a forum or even on Facebook. :bigsmile:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion! No haters!! < this is sometimes also a trademark of a troll, but not always!

I wouldn't necessarily call those people trolls though, well, not in the classical sense.

More like douche pickles...
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    I like this discussion! I would add that I have seen two types of "trolls" on the MFP forums, or any forum in general:

1) The obvious "troll" - the one that starts a topic, never to return again to that topic. Just like the one that began this morning, the dude that started it was on his first ever forum post (under that username) and never returned again (under that username). The "trolls" are easy to spot because they throw out a bomb and never return and let the forum self destruct to lock out. The only entertainment value is the reactionaries going ballistic and then you lose the thread once it gets locked out and removed...:ohwell:

2) The hidden "troll" - This is a professional. They are frequent posters, may only rarely start the topic, but are willing to put in the work to keep kindling the fire. They may not throw a huge bomb, only a little one, and continue to feed it with patience and hard work to keep it going. They rarely ever let it get too out of hand so that it gets locked, but sometimes it happens, usually not even by their own posts, but by the ones that are responding to the fire they have kindled. These are very interesting threads, and very easy to fall prey to.

I agree. The MFP trolls seem to have evolved to a different breed. Natural selection weeds out the inexperienced trolls that throw out the huge bomb, but the newly evolved patience trolls work their way into the infrastructure of the thread. I dont frequent many forums on websites, but the ones that I have dont have trolls like the ones seen in MFP. I think its because the integrity of MFP is a wholesome and generally supportive website, and the troll has to tweak their skills to attack at that.

This is a prime chance to pull down my eyeglasses slowly and say "By God... They're....EVOLVING"
  • gchutson
    Options

I agree. The MFP trolls seem to have evolved to a different breed. Natural selection weeds out the inexperienced trolls that throw out the huge bomb, but the newly evolved patience trolls work their way into the infrastructure of the thread. I dont frequent many forums on websites, but the ones that I have dont have trolls like the ones seen in MFP. I think its because the integrity of MFP is a wholesome and generally supportive website, and the troll has to tweak their skills to attack at that.

This is a prime chance to pull down my eyeglasses slowly and say "By God... They're....EVOLVING"

And breeding... waaahahahaha (evil laugh)
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I would like to state for the record that I am from Michigan and many women do in fact smell like ham. Then again, everything smells like ham to me.......
  • gchutson
    Options
    I would like to state for the record that I am from Michigan and many women do in fact smell like ham. Then again, everything smells like ham to me.......

Ok. That's just damn funny. I don't care who you are.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

young_frankenstein1.jpg
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    But what if most MI girls DO smell like ham? I think that's a very subjective description of MI girls.

If we have to smell like ham, then I prefer to be a little more specific and smell like bacon, not 'just' ham.
  • gchutson
    Options

young_frankenstein1.jpg

Speaking of... what ever happened to Gene Wilder. I F'n love that guy.
  • gchutson
    Options
    But what if most MI girls DO smell like ham? I think that's a very subjective description of MI girls.

If we have to smell like ham, then I prefer to be a little more specific and smell like bacon, not 'just' ham.

Oh you're just trying to turn all the boys on now. Bacon rules.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options

Oh you're just trying to turn all the boys on now. Bacon rules.

Now you're catching on.....
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

I don't have a problem with people posting opinions with which I don't agree. I do take issue with it, however, when they do it in a way that is mean spirited or antagonistic. Unfortunately, the latter is all too often the case here on MFP. There is no need to post an opinion in a manner which tears other people down. There is no need to use a condescending tone. There is no need to make fun of and belittle people who may or may not know as much about certain topics as you do. They are here to learn. If you really, sincerely want to help people, the best way to do that is to answer their questions in a patient and courteous manner. Name calling, sarcasm, and bad attitudes are simply uncalled for.

^^^ My thoughts exactly. Well said.
  • HaloAndHorns
    Options
    If a troll is someone who makes comments designed to irritate me, get me to rise to the bait and hurt me...then I deal with "trolls" in all areas of life...driving, shopping, in the workplace, in personal relationships, even in my family. ...and if they are indeed "trolling" for a response as if they are dragging a lure behind a slow moving boat...then am I not just a dumbBASS if I take the bait? When it's another driver or someone who I know or deal with in person it's a lot easier to take the bait but when it's a random comment from someone who I have never met and likely never will it's a lot easier to just ignore it. Didn't we learn this at an early age in the schoolyard? If you respond to the bullies even if it's negative attention then they win. Some fools crave ANY attention...negative or otherwise...so why reward them? Ignore them! It drives them CRAZY!
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have never heard the term troll used to describe anyone on a forum, but based on your theories, I agree with you on theory B. Someone who intentionally says something just to be mean and or hateful is indeed a troll. And just for the record Facebook is full of trolls that hide behind their keyboards and be mean... We should lock all trolls in the dungeon... unless they have really tall hot pink hair and jewels belly buttons and are made of plastic :)
  • kikilieb
    kikilieb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Overall, I like the troll. A lot of times the "troll" is actually introducing fun and [often times] inciteful discussions. Or sometimes the "troll" just happens to have a differnet opinion and/or perspective - and I always like to hear a differnet perspective. Whether or not I ultimately agree is sort of irrelevant, this said troll has made me think, and THAT is a good thing.

If it is an ignorant troll (e.g. the one on the fat girls thread), actually, I find them easy to just ignore.

What really irks me is the people who continuously react in a very emotional way to something a "troll" said. If you can't have a rational and intelligent conversation, you need to move on. Likewise, if the troll cannot respond rationally or intelligently, you need to move on. If a thread is started for pure fun and you don't want to have fun... move along.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    As a forum admin, I don't mind it when someone posts something controversial. That's fine. That's discussion. That's what a forum is for.

But if someone is just doing the forum equivalent of spray painting graffiti - being offensive just for the sake of being offensive - I will ban his or her *kitten* in no time flat.
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Trolls make the best Bacon....

I like bacon