Are "Trolls" Really Bad? ..... (An Open Discussion)

Options

Replies

• gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    If a troll is someone who makes comments designed to irritate me, get me to rise to the bait and hurt me...then I deal with "trolls" in all areas of life...driving, shopping, in the workplace, in personal relationships, even in my family. ...and if they are indeed "trolling" for a response as if they are dragging a lure behind a slow moving boat...then am I not just a dumbBASS if I take the bait? When it's another driver or someone who I know or deal with in person it's a lot easier to take the bait but when it's a random comment from someone who I have never met and likely never will it's a lot easier to just ignore it. Didn't we learn this at an early age in the schoolyard? If you respond to the bullies even if it's negative attention then they win. Some fools crave ANY attention...negative or otherwise...so why reward them? Ignore them! It drives them CRAZY!

See my forum thread "When you Cry... They Win. Stop."
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/633081-when-you-cry-they-win-stop

Here's a few steps to help some of you guys with the crushing things other people say...

Step 1: Stop giving a *kitten* what other people think.
    Step 2: Repeat Step 1.

Now I have no doubt, a handful of people will be morally outraged by what I just typed.
    Please reference Steps 1 through 2.
  • gchutson
    Options
    As a forum admin, I don't mind it when someone posts something controversial. That's fine. That's discussion. That's what a forum is for.

But if someone is just doing the forum equivalent of spray painting graffiti - being offensive just for the sake of being offensive - I will ban his or her *kitten* in no time flat.

Are you an MFP admin?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Speaking of... what ever happened to Gene Wilder. I F'n love that guy.

He's dead you heartless *kitten*!
  • Chrissy9632
    Options
    I'm still cracking up about MI girls smelling like ham. Thanks for the good laugh on a muggy Monday.
  • kikilieb
    kikilieb Posts: 118 Member
    Options

I LOVE gene wilder! I was just listening to him on my Little Prince cd at work :bigsmile:
  • gchutson
    Options

Has anyone told him that he's dead??
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    My definition includes those who are deliberately trying to be difficult and their critique is destructive. Having a truthful response can be done without being hurtful. "Thems" the bad trolls.
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    OMG This thread is so stupid! I can't believe you posted this... so dumb. (Example of a troll, especially one on MFP)
  • kikilieb
    kikilieb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My definition includes those who are deliberately trying to be difficult and their critique is destructive. Having a truthful response can be done without being hurtful. "Thems" the bad trolls.

sometimes the truth hurts. that doesn't make the person who said it a troll... necesarily.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    gc, I don't know where you are but I'd hire you in a second. I don't see you as a troll, at all. What's wrong with controversial topics? It's why I'm addicted to the forums. There are people whose response to legitimate questions could be considered callous. I don't consider them trolls though. Perhaps lacking in restraint of pen and tongue, perhaps lacking kindness but trolls...no.
    I've only seen a few actual trolls in the sense they're attempting to elicit a negative response with an ultimate goal of angering/hurting others. It doesn't happen often. Funny "trolls"...I love. Topics that allow debate of different ideals...I love those too. People can get fired up about anything if it happens to touch on something they have an emotional connection to. Does that mean.the OP or any responders intentionally created it? No. I've learned more from the people here I initially considered "mean" than anyone else.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Laughing-reaction-knee-slapper.gif?
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    lolllz. I'm not a troll myself....but I love them! Entertaining. Not all trolls are just hiding behind a computer screen and anonymous screen name either. Some of them are just truly bored, maybe at work or home, and want some easy, free entertainment!
    If you love the art of trolling, visit www.damnlol.com one of my favorite sites!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options

Has anyone told him that he's dead??

wHEN DID GENE WILDER DIE? It was just his birthday the other day.........

f'ing trolls........starting horrible rumors.

GENE WILDER IS ALIVE, and just turned 75!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Yes. I think they are a bad thing.

1. People who engage in trolling clearly have far too much time on their hands. Instead of inciting wrath online they could be out in the world being productive and/or broadening their minds by ... oh, I don't know, reading a textbook or two.

2. At times trolls get people fighting amongst each other instead of against the troll. This is bad. Not good. Clearly.

3. They lower the level of discourse to a huge degree. Bonding over a fight is all well and good but bonding over whether or not all MI girls are fat? That just seems... unnecessary.

4. They clog up the threads. I'm sorry but I don't find trolls amusing or interesting and I get tired of having to scroll through troll post after troll post to get to some actual conversation.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Girls from MI DON'T smell like ham? But all girls from Wisconsin smell like cheese, right? RIGHT?

I don't know what to believe in anymore. :-(
  • Liasings
    Liasings Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Forum trolls-I can take 'em or leave 'em.
    Mythological trolls-help unite the villagers into a cudgel-wielding killing machine; proving that they, like buzzards, possums, and attorneys, do have their place in the ecosystem. :wink:
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I approve this thread, and therefore have decided that you are not a troll.

Carry on.
  • gchutson
    Options
    Girls from MI DON'T smell like ham? But all girls from Wisconsin smell like cheese, right? RIGHT?

I don't know what to believe in anymore. :-(

Mmmm. Cheesehead girls rule.