Are "Trolls" Really Bad? ..... (An Open Discussion)

Options

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    your attempt to evoke a response whether it be positive or negative IS what makes you a troll.

So is that a good thing or a bad thing?

It's an attention-whoring thing!

Correct.

Trolling is an attempt to provoke a negative and extreme response for the sake of it without any necessary belief in the statements being made.

Good grief, if you want to see real trolling try /b/ of 4chan. Don't know who Cracky Chan is? Then you're probably not a troll...
  • sammi402
    sammi402 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I always thought trolls were the guys that show up to bars during last call in the hopes of "picking up" some random drunk chick and taking her home without having to shell out for beer or liquor?

^^That
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    your attempt to evoke a response whether it be positive or negative IS what makes you a troll.

Good or bad is subjective.

I will however admit that I find it quite annoying. But then, I'm feeding this particular troll.

You may all form a line now for my public flogging!
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Whew!!!! Thank you google!

asshat.png
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I am enjoying the trolling occurring in a thread about trolling....well played.
    Yes, it's the inception of trolling

THE TROLL IS COLLAPSING!

I can't see your pictures due to work filters.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Yes, it's the inception of trolling
    tumblr_lh1sjtf78G1qdsm7s.gif
    Joker_popcorn.gif

This is so full of awesome!
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    Oh, I love how you think you've turned my argument back around on me.

I did. Watch....

I said...
    A colloquial cliche' overtly utilized by individuals with devastatingly low self-esteem that constantly, and continuously vie for attention by "calling-out" those they consider superior and a subsequent threat, from the safety of a computer, a fake picture and an anonymous screen name.

You then said...
    However, I pointed out your low self-esteem several days ago when you decided to make some random statement belittling men who take pictures of themselves in the bathroom mirror....
    Way to show the hundreds of people that will read this thread that you're not really vying for attention by "calling-out" those they consider superior and a subsequent threat.

Which hurts more? Reading that? Or knowing that you can't go back and delete your posts on this string.

Thanks for playing. Here's your t-shirt.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    What a great read!

Personally, I think the internet needs trolls, like you said, OP. They are an essential ingredient in the soup of the internet. They offer exciting humor to read and sometimes have compelling arguments, if they are eloquent enough. The ones that I feel bad for are the ones that get trapped in a troll's web. That take everything so offensively and feed their fire until it becomes unfunny.

So, no. Trolls arent bad in my opinion. But it is based on individual expirences. I have never let myself become attacked to the point of anger with a troll, others break down in fury because of trolling. So I imagine their answer would be a loathe for trolls that the internet can do without.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Trolls are just a-holes who want attention and post just to get some kind of reaction.
    Their aim is to hurt - not help.

This. Exactly.

To OP...Everyone is entitled to an opinion...but an opinion can be lost by the wayside if it's delivered in a condescending, rude, and tactless way. Whatever happened to...treat people kindly every now and then?

A bit of character and knowledge and respect of others go a long way.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options

Correct.

Trolling is an attempt to provoke a negative and extreme response for the sake of it without any necessary belief in the statements being made.

Good grief, if you want to see real trolling try /b/ of 4chan. Don't know who Cracky Chan is? Then you're probably not a troll...

dont encourage these innocent people to go to 4chan!! They will become scarred!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

I did. Watch....

I said...
    A colloquial cliche' overtly utilized by individuals with devastatingly low self-esteem that constantly, and continuously vie for attention by "calling-out" those they consider superior and a subsequent threat, from the safety of a computer, a fake picture and an anonymous screen name.

You then said...
    However, I pointed out your low self-esteem several days ago when you decided to make some random statement belittling men who take pictures of themselves in the bathroom mirror....
    Way to show the hundreds of people that will read this thread that you're not really vying for attention by "calling-out" those they consider superior and a subsequent threat.

Which hurts more? Reading that? Or knowing that you can't go back and delete your posts on this string.

Yes. But I asked you to define the term 'asshat' in which you decided you would generate a perceived description of me with which to answer with. However, that really isn't turning the argument around on me. That's just deflecting.

Seriously, man, find something better to do. I personally have gotten bored with you. So I will let someone else "call you out" on your douchebaggery!
  • fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options
    Jesus christ rule one and two

Also rule 34 on MFP
  • gchutson
    Options

I try.
  • gchutson
    Options

I did. Watch....

I said...

You then said...

Yes. But I asked you to define the term 'asshat' in which you decided you would generate a perceived description of me with which to answer with. However, that really isn't turning the argument around on me. That's just deflecting.

Seriously, man, find something better to do. I personally have gotten bored with you. So I will let someone else "call you out" on your douchebaggery!

If only that were true.
  • sammi402
    sammi402 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong, but i imagine coming to someone's post (on trolling of all things) specifically to start an argument with them would in fact be considered an attention-whoring troll kinda thing to do.

But, like i said, I could be wrong.
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    greasygriddle_wechnage Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong, but i imagine coming to someone's post (on trolling of all things) specifically to start an argument with them would in fact be considered an attention-whoring troll kinda thing to do.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

You aren't lol
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Jesus christ rule one and two

Also rule 34 on MFP

And in this case, Rule -1.
  • gchutson
    Options

She's been extremely busy the last few days repeatedly making sure that I know that she's ignoring everything I say, and giving me the silent-treatment. On all of my forum threads. Constantly.

My next thread topic is going to be "Irony: It can be so ironic sometimes."
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I like this discussion! I would add that I have seen two types of "trolls" on the MFP forums, or any forum in general:

1) The obvious "troll" - the one that starts a topic, never to return again to that topic. Just like the one that began this morning, the dude that started it was on his first ever forum post (under that username) and never returned again (under that username). The "trolls" are easy to spot because they throw out a bomb and never return and let the forum self destruct to lock out. The only entertainment value is the reactionaries going ballistic and then you lose the thread once it gets locked out and removed...:ohwell:

2) The hidden "troll" - This is a professional. They are frequent posters, may only rarely start the topic, but are willing to put in the work to keep kindling the fire. They may not throw a huge bomb, only a little one, and continue to feed it with patience and hard work to keep it going. They rarely ever let it get too out of hand so that it gets locked, but sometimes it happens, usually not even by their own posts, but by the ones that are responding to the fire they have kindled. These are very interesting threads, and very easy to fall prey to.

Just my opinion! No haters!! < this is sometimes also a trademark of a troll, but not always!