Slow runners

Options
omma_to_3
omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
LOL...every time I see a picture of me running, I look like I'm walking. Even when I had actually upped my speed running for the finish line. Pitiful really LOL. Just me? Or others laugh about this too?

Replies

• reneeeeeh
    reneeeeeh Posts: 54
    Options
    I dont ever want to see a picture of me running! haha
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I am so slow and luckily there haven't been any photos of me! I think I can walk faster than I can jog.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Awww....don't beat yourself up over. You are doing it and not sitting on the couch right? I think that it has to do with your form as well. If you have a long stride you clearly look like you are running in pictures. The only other way to tell that people are running is usually the look of anguish on our faces :) Keep on going!
  • AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I usually run a 9 minute mile, but running pictures are infamously HORRIBLE! I have never seen one of myself that I like! lol. You are running and that is all that matters. You should be proud of yourself!!! :smile:
  • kwbernardo
    kwbernardo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You're moving faster than you would be sitting on a couch. (That's what I remind myself.):smile:
  • sizzler0123
    Options
    I am SO happy to hear someone else say this!! I run 4 times a week and I know I am a slower runner for sure, but I recently completed my first official 5 km (I run more than this normally), and in the official pics they took of me it looks like I am walking!! Groan....
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    LOL...every time I see a picture of me running, I look like I'm walking. Even when I had actually upped my speed running for the finish line. Pitiful really LOL. Just me? Or others laugh about this too?

I use to feel the same way when I went out for a jog. A couple things about this... First, continue running and you'll improve over time. Next, check your running form because it makes a difference. There are some good videos on YouTube. Lastly, try and incorporate some strength training into your exercise. Stronger legs will make you faster.
  • TeaghansDaddy
    TeaghansDaddy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    if you like reading, check out: "The Accidental Athlete: A funny thing happened on the way to middle age". I used to trip on my run time and then read that book, and though I am always trying to improve my time, it does give very humorous perspective (e.g. it's about the journey). good luck!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    This is me...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkjtjQA9prPOOoG42fVkSBqOT3WGOUH53Q74ZFEwBtqVLKx4bGvoTLTkiJRA
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be slow and run longer distances than be fast and only able to run short distances. That's why at this point, I'm not too worried about speed. I know it will come with time.
    As far as a picture of me running, no thanks!! Lol

You're moving and not sitting on the couch. Be proud of yourself!
  • allymacary
    allymacary Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    http://imgur.com/gallery/Ki2L0

Had to post this. Hope it works, I don't see a way to post pictures :sad:
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    18429001_1180.jpg
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm not particularly slow but I do have a very flat stride (meaning I don't really pick up my feet) so I always look like I am barely running in my race photos. I have had hundreds taken I think I have liked about 4.
  • joyzeejay
    joyzeejay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    OMGoooosh!!! I'm SUCH a slooooow, goofy-ish runner! LOL!! I plod along like a goober. I'm not even going to say how long it takes me to do a mile. Just last weekend, I was "jogging" and a woman, wearing an long skirt and sandals, WALKED past me and left me in her dust... Lol! When I jog, my dog walks...lol!

Ha! Ha! Years ago, when I used to teach middle school, my students imitated what I looked like when I ran: pigeon-toed feet dragging, never leaving the ground, butt sticking out, arms hanging straight down by my knees...lol!!! I am SUCH the goober runner!!!!!
  • LaPati
    LaPati Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I run a 10 min mile and I totally look like I'm walking in every picture!!! If it weren't for the time I come in at no one would believe I actually run!
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    I'm not particularly slow but I do have a very flat stride (meaning I don't really pick up my feet) so I always look like I am barely running in my race photos. I have had hundreds taken I think I have liked about 4.

I too have a very flat and short/choppy stride I keep telling myself it's such a help because it gives a great mid-foot strike LOL.

And I do love those pics people posted. They make me laugh every time!
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I don't EVER want to see what I look like when I'm running. I'm slow as hell and it can't possibly look good. Also, I'm a hot, sweaty damn mess when I get done so I can't imagine I look much better during the process. I actually run wearing a ball cap and sun glasses. Wearing a disguise = invisible to judgemental neighbors. It's what I tell myself anyway.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    OK, I suppose this one doesn't look too bad (other than the fact my husband can't take pictures to save his life LOL).

i-Z535Lcs-M.jpg

But this one, when I was going faster, totally looks like walking LOL. But look at that awesome mid-foot strike!
    i-p59LHqT-L.jpg
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    This is me...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkjtjQA9prPOOoG42fVkSBqOT3WGOUH53Q74ZFEwBtqVLKx4bGvoTLTkiJRA

^ LOL I fell out of the chair!

I always look like I'm about to die when I'm running. My face turns as red as a fire truck and my hair is soaking wet from sweat and my right ankle (the one I broke last year) does this strange chicken leg flop when I run. :O
  • MissAmyB80
    MissAmyB80 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Every race I have ever "ran" - there have been speed walkers who beat me in.

And...in my bedroom there are mirrors in the ceiling (DON'T ASK - former owners - not me). My treadmill is in my bedroom under the mirrors. I can only see my upper half in them though because of the position of the treadmill. When I look up and see myself it looks like my body is BARELY moving. Like I'm on a stroll.

Oh...and recently I have finally found a running partner who actually may run as slow as me. It's AMAZING. Except - and I love her to death - when I see her running I get a glimpse of what other people must see when they look at me. Her face is beat red..sweating...looks like she's about to blow a blood vessel. Yet her body is barely shuffling along..in slo-mo.

But everyone else is absolutely right. At least we aren't sitting on the couch. Sometimes when I pass someone while I am running I get self-conscious. But then I think no...who cares. I have to start somewhere.