Slow runners

Options

Replies

• sizzler0123
    Options
    I only run on the treadmill, and it's BAD!

I RUN at 5.5kph, max 6.0kph. I'm talking 16 minute miles :(

So embarrassing, and feels like I'm lumbering along.

Hey I think that is great, as I alternate between a 4.3 and 4.5 on mine! But I do 45 minutes
  • sizzler0123
    Options
    Me! I have one of my pictures here,my daughter took it of me and I though it looked like I was walking. It was a 5k race and my fastest time ever.

Yes! I just did a 5 km and had my fastest time ever but look like i am walking in the pics!
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I don't know what I look like while I'm running, but afterwards I look like a big 'ol hot mess! Red face, sweat pouring down, hair soaked...it's not pretty. That's why I run iin the dark at 4AM! :blushing:
  • Ninja_Knitty
    Options
    Big hot mess sign pointed right at me too. Night running. Also run at night because I feel I have more energy from eating. Not enough protein in me in the morning. Too lazy tos make a protein shake. Hmm maybe just too lazy, lol.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    If you look good while doing it, you're not doing it right. Good luck in your running endeavors.
    ^^^^^
    This. Keep up the great work everyone!!!

Kat
    10k PR 12:35 mm, working on getting faster :bigsmile:
  • rnrsmum
    rnrsmum Posts: 3
    Options
    Its great to hear Im not the only slooooow runner! so far I have refused to go running with anyone as I think they will have completed the 5k I do in 20 mins and then would have to sit around for an extra 20 mins waiting for me, I dont seem to pick up my feet much but my excuse is I have short legs :D
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I also run at a pretty slow pace... but I just feel good that I'm out there doing it! My speed improved without me consciously trying to get faster. My goal is to stay under 10 minutes a mile, but some days are better than others! I'm doing my first 5K on Thursday, and my goal is to stay sub-30. My athletic friends smirk a little at this, but that's OK! Slow and steady wins the race! (Or at least that's what I keep telling myself!)
  • Ninja_Knitty
    Options
    Good luck on your 5k!
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I run about a 9min mile, but all pictures taken of me from a 5K make me look like a crazy woman running. I have good form but my facial expressions are insane.

At least we are all moving and improving!!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My goal was to always have a photo of me with both feet off the ground. I got it in my race I PR'd, but when printed, I forgot to have them remove the race logo - so my hover photo, I totally dreamed for - you can't tell :(
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your 5k!

Thanks! It went well. I finished in 29:00. I made some typical rookie mistakes- like getting caught up with the crowd and not pacing myself well. Thanks to this thread, I was very aware of the photographers! Fortunately, I can't find where the pictures are posted so I can't see how ridiculous I look in motion! I'm running another one this Thursday and the weather is supposed to be 98 and humid. Lovely.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    522474_382226435168721_2032303780_n.jpg
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    OMGoooosh!!! I'm SUCH a slooooow, goofy-ish runner! LOL!! I plod along like a goober. I'm not even going to say how long it takes me to do a mile. Just last weekend, I was "jogging" and a woman, wearing an long skirt and sandals, WALKED past me and left me in her dust... Lol! When I jog, my dog walks...lol!

My dog even have times to sniff once in a while.....

Laughed so I almost felt down the couch with tears down my chins. Loving this thread!!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    No matter how slow you're running - YOU'RE LAPPING EVERYONE ON THE COUCH!!!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I look terrible when I run. In every race I've run, my hair is bouncing, my butt looks huge, I'm red faced and sweaty and I look like I'm walking. I'm also very slow and felt bad about it UNTIL I read the pace of the guy who wrote "The Accidental Athlete" run time - it's something like a 14 minute mile. I run a 10 mm. Drove home to me that speed isn't the main thing, getting out there consistently is the main thing.
  • TiffanyAching
    TiffanyAching Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i'm incredibly slow. but, i couldn't run at all a few weeks ago, now i am doing my first 5k on sunday. i shall be so very slow and am fighting off feelings of embarrassment about that rather than being proud i'm doing it at all. which is dense.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I run an 11 minute mile.....and that's an improvement!! LOL! I was doing a 12 or 13 minute mile when I started running.

I did my first 5k in about 37 minutes.......and I was in the middle of the pack. Which made me feel pretty good, since that meant that 1/2 the participants were slower than me!

Like everyone else has said, you are lapping everyone on the couch! The important thing is to get moving. Increased speed will come with time.

And almost no one looks good running. My spin instructor/running coach runs all the time and has an amazing body. And she has posted some pretty silly looking pictures of her running. That always makes me feel better :)
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    i'm incredibly slow. but, i couldn't run at all a few weeks ago, now i am doing my first 5k on sunday. i shall be so very slow and am fighting off feelings of embarrassment about that rather than being proud i'm doing it at all. which is dense.
    Wow, you´re amazing. A 5K in such a short time!! You´re doing more than great!
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I run 5km (3.1 miles approx) in 36-38 mins. So I too am VERY slow. In fact there are days when I need to stop and walk for a minute or so, before resuming, and I still manage this time. Proving my walk time is the same as my run time.

Kms and Miles are just that, it doesnt matter how fast you do them. Its activity and it raises your heart rate and burns cals! Makes you feel great afterwards too.

I don't like pics of me running, I look exhausted (even at the start!)... I have a red face, mouth is usually hanging open and I pull a horrid face, AND my wibbly tummy isn't held in (as I do on all other pics LOL!!). So never very flattering.

I look forward to the day when I look toned, and healthy when I run. I want my ponytail to bob and swish, and I don't want a red face when only part way in.... one day....

:)

xx
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I just had my fastest 5K time yet. 36:47. I'll take it LOL. I beat my previous best by 2:24.

I also ran 3.5 miles that night. Average speed 5.0 mph.

I'm not training for a 10K, just so I have a plan to follow. I'm hoping that will make my 5K speed faster!

And here are my horrible pictures from my last race LOL: http://www.runphotos.com/browse.cfm?race_id=223&bib_number=2782&searchword=&subFind=Find+Photos