Slow runners

Options

Replies

• thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Got a great complement at a party last week. A friends new girlfirend said "I see you out running all the time" "you look well running"
  • healthylifeforme
    healthylifeforme Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness I don't have any pictures of myself running, but I always feel like I'm barely moving too. I only run (jog) a 12 minute mile. On occasion, I might do an 11.5 minute mile. Ya, I'm slow, but like some others have posted: I'm lapping everyone on the couch. I even had that printed on my first 5K run shirt.
  • KendraLea1277
    KendraLea1277 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I remember seeing an article on "slow runners" a while back. Here is something I found... Slow running is GOOD! Makes me feel a LOT better about my running technique (or lack thereof)!!!

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/The-Benefits-of-Running-Slow.htm
  • blynn2708
    blynn2708 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow runner, usually 4.9 to 5.2....I'm pretty sure I don't want any pics of me running! :blushing:
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I run slower than my dog walks. I run slower than my 6 year old walks. Don't sweat it. At least we are out there!

Waddle on! :)
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    I was out "running" today. When I wanted to log it in as exercise, it was out as category. I had to log it in as `walking, brisk pace´. Not very brisk, just brisk.... LOL
  • Leah_T
    Leah_T Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    18429001_1180.jpg

Love This!!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Oooh, ooh! Me! I'm a super slow runner!!!
  • secondchance82
    Options
    My marathon pics look like "walking" too and I didn't walk a single step during the whole race. No biggie...I'm a proud turtle! :)
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Let me put it this way...my goal for my first 5K (on July 28th) is to finish it in a faster time than I could have walked it. That's pretty much the speed I'm at right now! LOL

BUT...I'm proud that I've kept up with it consistently for this past month and I really do enjoy it (despite what I might say at 5 am). I'm proud that I'm able to run for longer lengths of time every time I go out. I tell myself I'm working on endurance...I'll worry about speed later!
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! I recently broke down and was crying at my friend because I run so slow! But she told me the thing about lapping people on the couch.
    And seeing that it really doesn't matter how fast we go, it matters that we are doing it, really makes me feel 100% better!
    BTW I often times think that I could walk faster, but I know that's really not the case. When I try to walk fast, my shins hurt so bad. That's why I started running, and now I don't have nearly as much foot, shin and ankle pain I used to get from walking.
  • emmygrace2012
    emmygrace2012 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be slow and run longer distances than be fast and only able to run short distances. That's why at this point, I'm not too worried about speed. I know it will come with time.
    As far as a picture of me running, no thanks!! Lol

You're moving and not sitting on the couch. Be proud of yourself!

AMEN! I just ran 5 miles about 10 minutes or so ago. 2 years ago, I could only do 2 minutes at a time!! Pat yourself on the back for continuing to be dedicated!
    p.s.-i absolutely hate pics of myself running, too!
  • jagfan
    jagfan Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    So many true statements on this thread! Slow Runners Unite!

BTW...I hate any pic of myself...running is certainly no exception. I do a really cool 15k that we have here. I was excited when I was emailed a link to my pics and video crossing the finish line...I was not excited when I looked at them! Awful! Also, when I am out running, I look like a total idiot...wireless head phones on, cell phone strapped to my arm, and a camelback. You would think I was going on some type of survival trip!

I have gotten over how slow I run, although I am trying to improve by using the Bridge to 10k app. I figure it this way, if I can outrun the zombies, I will be ok!
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow runner...and now I feel even slower LOL! I'm so proud of myself when my Couch 2 5K app tells me my pace was anything under 12 :laugh:
  • Devona14
    Devona14 Posts: 171
    Options
    I'm still early in the game. Last night I completed W6D3. I figured that I ran 1.74 miles in 25 minutes. So, I'm still very slow.

How do you figure your speed? I'm guessing if I had ran another 5 minutes I would've made the 2 mile mark. Does that then mean my time would be a 15 minute mile?
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    LOL! This is how I feel too!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I am so slow that when I try to log it as jogging with MFP, the app actually laughs at me. *sigh* I only go about 4.2 mph (trust me, as short as my legs are, this is DEFINITELY a slow jog for me LMAO) But I don't mind so much, because when I started I could barely make it for 30 seconds, and now I can go for about 2 minutes (yes, I am a baby beginnier), so I say slow and steady is working for me. :)
  • xxempress
    xxempress Posts: 122
    Options
    I dont ever want to see a picture of me running! haha

^THIS! I hate seeing myself on the treadmill at the gym; totally looks like I'm taking a jog while I'm dieing inside haha!!!
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    I am so slow that when I try to log it as jogging with MFP, the app actually laughs at me. *sigh* I only go about 4.2 mph (trust me, as short as my legs are, this is DEFINITELY a slow jog for me LMAO) But I don't mind so much, because when I started I could barely make it for 30 seconds, and now I can go for about 2 minutes (yes, I am a baby beginnier), so I say slow and steady is working for me. :)
    This is me!! Thank you
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    It takes time to gain speed, don't sweat it!

I ran a 10k a month or so ago, and some of my coworkers were there and they all finished before me. But then I realized they've all run marathons/halves so judging myself against them was pretty unfair. As long as you're making progress and enjoying it, it doesn't matter how fast or slow you are.