Slow runners

Options

Replies

• kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend looks at me in disbelief when I tell him how long it took me to run 6k, but I bet he couldn't run 1k the state he's in (he's thin but waaaay unfit). I'd rather run 6k slowly than 1k fast.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Boy I feel guilty becouse I think im slow. I started out at a 12 minute mile just kept pushing myself now it just depends on how far my run is. Cant forget the Heat the really slows me down.
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    This is me...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkjtjQA9prPOOoG42fVkSBqOT3WGOUH53Q74ZFEwBtqVLKx4bGvoTLTkiJRA

Love the pic!!! :)
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow runner. I run slower than the 4'11, 65 year old lady in my run clinic! hahaha She is 35 years older than me and kills me each time.
  • primalchaos
    primalchaos Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    LOL...every time I see a picture of me running, I look like I'm walking. Even when I had actually upped my speed running for the finish line. Pitiful really LOL. Just me? Or others laugh about this too?

No, pitiful was the person on the couch while you were finishing :)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I run a 14-16 min mile. During my half marathon on Sat, I was doing 14 min miles for the first 7, but once I hit mile 8, I kinda hit the wall and was doing 20 min miles. My average by the finish line was 18 min miles.
    I'm sloooooooooooooow!
    The point is keep doing it if you enjoy it. Speed will work itself out.

I recently saw a pic on facebook of an exceptionally obese man running in a race. It said "I may be the last one to finish, but I'm still outlapping everyone on the couch."
  • MissKTMc
    MissKTMc Posts: 49
    Options
    Haha some hilarious comments on this feed. I refuse to look at photos or videos of myself running because I think I look like a total Phoebe! (Friends fans will get that reference!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_0Ta_DIWuU
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I never really thought about it. I have a few pictures of me running during races...a few good ones, a few bad ones. :laugh:

GOOD ONE (imo) - 2nd run of a duathlon a couple year ago
    asi2.jpg

BAD ONE - 2nd run of another duathlon (actually, I do like the definition in my quads in this one :) )
    run3.jpg
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Lol love it!
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Wait, does being 5ft 2 affect how fast I can go on the treadmill??

I've actually just read on another forum, the reason I can't get above what feels like a fast walk is because I'm too close to the front of the treadmill. Might clip on the safety thing and try starting my stride further back next time.

I'm five foot and I've gradually built my speed up- got 8.5km the other day- I don't run for a long time though, do intervals.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    This is me...

Love it! :laugh: :laugh:
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    There's an old guy in my neighborhood who dresses up like an athlete - complete with sweatband - and assumes a running position. You'd need time-lapse photography to see him move! All I can think of is that he's upright and rolling. Good for him!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    The reason you look so slow is that it's a picture and you are not moving. Glad I could clear that up for you. LOL

Just keep running, you will get faster. When I started my 1st mile with in the 14 MM range. 3 years later and my fastest mile was 6.21. I did not start running with intentions on being fast or running marathons. It was solely to get healthy. It will happen.
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    18429001_1180.jpg

LOVE IT
  • melhayes1115
    melhayes1115 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    When I started running, I "ran" at a speed of 4.0. It took some time, but I recently ran my first 10 minute mile! I am slowly getting better.
  • jagfan
    jagfan Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Wait, does being 5ft 2 affect how fast I can go on the treadmill??

I've actually just read on another forum, the reason I can't get above what feels like a fast walk is because I'm too close to the front of the treadmill. Might clip on the safety thing and try starting my stride further back next time.

Height doesn't affect how fast you can go. If you are using proper running form, your feet are landing under your torso. It's the same whether your 5'2" or 7'2".
  • cburky911
    cburky911 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Like most people here, I also am a slow runner. Right now I'm running an 11:30-12:00 mile. However, I ran the CapCity Half Marathon in May (hated the pictures), will be running the Little Miami Half Marathon in August, the Columbus Half Marathon in October and the Las Vegas Rock 'n Roll half marathon in December. I'm also thinking about doing the Lexington Half Marathon in March. I have no doubt that I will hate the pictures...but I'll love the calories I burn...:happy:
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    :blushing:
    This is me...

oh yes, so true.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. We all have different running styles. I'm not the fastest or the slowest runner, but I definitely get some awkward looking poses in my race pictures! LOL

As long as you're getting out there and doing it is all that matters! Keep up the good work!!! Remember... it's only for you... it doesn't matter what you think you look like or others for that matter. I'm pretty sure you are finishing ahead of people, and that should be your biggest indicator that you're not really that slow! :)