Slow runners

Options

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm so slow I actually go back in time........

On a more serious note, here's an interesting article from Runners World "Slow Down to Speed Up"

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-238-263--8938-0,00.html
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I feel as slow as grass growing, but I get out there and do what I can. :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 15 years and 12-13 minute miles is still my cruising pace! I reckon we eke more pleasure about of every run. I do have to check whether I'm sticking my bum out whenever I pass a shop window, though. I always am.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Your still lapping everyone on the couch
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I took a run outside today(second day of couch to 5K) and passed these group of older ladies. One of them said, geeze, she's really on the move!

Made me laugh because at the point I was getting tired and def. was not going as fast as I was in the beginning!
  • sportybrewerschick
    sportybrewerschick Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i ran almost 2.5 miles the other day and my dad drove by and stopped because he said i looked like i was dying! thanks dad! :)
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I don't care what I look like when exercising. If some one is so preoccupied with how I look they aren't working hard enough themselves. I am sure we all look like idiots, but who cares. It's our health and what we look like in the end that matters and our workouts will get us there.
  • lsilly15
    lsilly15 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    This is me...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkjtjQA9prPOOoG42fVkSBqOT3WGOUH53Q74ZFEwBtqVLKx4bGvoTLTkiJRA

Me too!!!! HAHAH i ran an 11 min mile yesterday i felt like a slug. but when i first started out running i was averaging a 15 min mile. so its amazing how the body can adjust. just keep going!
  • JoJo1953
    JoJo1953 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    This is me...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkjtjQA9prPOOoG42fVkSBqOT3WGOUH53Q74ZFEwBtqVLKx4bGvoTLTkiJRA
    This is me too!!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Look at all those people behind you!!! I have a picture/quote that says "whether its a 14 minute mile or a 7 minute mile......a mile is still a mile."

Unless you are being chased by a hungry lion of course... LOL

IN all seriousness, a 14 minute mile is still faster than having a couch strapped to your butt. Go, Do it, Enjoy.

I have coached all levels of runners from elite to beginner and can tell you that we all run for different reasons. If you are planning to run the Olympics... then a 14 minute mile won't get you there. If you are planning to get healthy, a 14 minute mile is FANTASTIC as it engages the cardio within the limits of our own bodies. Knowing your limits will help prevent injuries.

In itself at a basic level, Speed comes with overall fitness. The more fit you are, the faster you become and face it... we all start somewhere.
  • ludke
    ludke Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this today! I needed a laugh, and some support. It was my first day back to running outside in a week or so (due to vacation) and I swear I must have given the construction workers in my neighborhood quite a laugh. Oh well...sunglasses and a hat helped to hide my face at least.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    OMGoooosh!!! I'm SUCH a slooooow, goofy-ish runner! LOL!! I plod along like a goober. I'm not even going to say how long it takes me to do a mile. Just last weekend, I was "jogging" and a woman, wearing an long skirt and sandals, WALKED past me and left me in her dust... Lol! When I jog, my dog walks...lol!

My dog even have times to sniff once in a while.....

Laughed so I almost felt down the couch with tears down my chins. Loving this thread!!

:laugh:

I run by time and not distance so don't even know how fast I am going but I know it's slow because my dog is literally walking along beside me! I'm like, you could at least trot, you're making me look bad!
  • sarbahanew
    sarbahanew Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I guess it's better to be running slowly than not at all! haha - I'm in this boat as well!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I plod lol.
    Eh, shorter strides are supposed be less of an impact on your joints.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I only run on the treadmill, and it's BAD!

I RUN at 5.5kph, max 6.0kph. I'm talking 16 minute miles :(

So embarrassing, and feels like I'm lumbering along.

theres nothing at all to be embarrassed about. you are doing the run and can only get better.. i used to dream of running just one mile..speed is not important!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I plod lol.
    Eh, shorter strides are supposed be less of an impact on your joints.

That's what I keep telling myself. Short and choppy also gives me a great mid-foot strike LOL.
  • Miztake
    Miztake Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Most people running moderate speeds look like they are walking in photos. The trick is when you see the photographer at your next race you have to purposely and exaggeratedly lift your legs really high on each stride and ....SMILE.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I feel like I jiggle everytime my foot hits the ground when I'm running... lol.. makes me feel like people are saying "ewww!'

I'm pretty slow too, but I'm just a beginner.

I had been running a 10-11 minute mile, and last night I ran 3 miles for the first time ever (I want to do a 5k before the end of the year) and it took me a little over 35 minutes! :noway:

So.. yeah, I'm going to work on that!!
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow runner but proud that I run.

dont forget if it takes you twice as long to run a mile then you have all that extra stamina!

getting out there and enjoying it is what its all about.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Most people running moderate speeds look like they are walking in photos. The trick is when you see the photographer at your next race you have to purposely and exaggeratedly lift your legs really high on each stride and ....SMILE.

Yes, if only I had realized the camera was at the finish line LOL