Ladies: Do you accept friend requests from guys on MFP?

Options

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I pretty much accept anyone who sends me a request, regardless of whether or not they send a message. I'm fairly active on the boards and people generally send me requests based on things we have in common, good advice I've given, etc. If they take the time to want to be my friend, I accept. Our individual goals may be different, but the basic goal of improving health is the same. I will offer support to anyone, and I accept support and advice from others.
  • hayleymc3
    hayleymc3 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I accept requests from both. I've been known to clean out my friends sometimes, though. If someone never updates, talks to me, or whatever, they go. I've been on MFP since 2010 (but took a long leave of absence). I want encouragement, not someone who is just creeping and never posting!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    i may be sorry for asking this but to all the women that said, "sure unless he is creepy!". so am i creepy? :p

I dunno dude...the way you're hiding behind your avatar frame...
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I do, why wouldnt I?, even if its not the same considering hormonal stuff and all, we all are here for support and with the same goal in mind. So yes, guys!.. send a request :smile:
  • zela
    zela Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't like to friend request the ladies, just because I do not want to come off creepy, aggressive, or send the wrong message.

Also do not want to cross the lines and get into attraction of opposite sex here. I spend my time here for specific goals and nothing will get in the way off that. I like to give advice though and help male or female with any questions so I try to remain approachable, that right there is a good feeling :)
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    i may be sorry for asking this but to all the women that said, "sure unless he is creepy!". so am i creepy? :p

I dunno dude...the way you're hiding behind your avatar frame...

hahaha ^ yeah man just readjust a little and you'll be fine and not shady looking
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know there were other guys on this website
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    I do. Some of my best friends on here are guys. i don't mind. Girls can be friends with guys. i don't see a problem.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    no not anymore. seems like I get requests from males soon after making a comment in a thread about, say, sexy sleepwear, or orgasms, or something of the like. Kind of weirds me out. This isn't a dating site.

I just don't want to accept male requests anymore, sue me!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Other guys use MFP?!?!
  • Chinadollpuss
    Chinadollpuss Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes i would if guys did but only 2 guys have requested me, we are all here for the same goal in life and that is to be more healthy/Get healthy
  • damoonz63
    damoonz63 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    r
  • damoonz63
    damoonz63 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Absolutely NOT! It's like asking to be assaulted.

a little paranoid, aren't we? how, exactly is someone going to assault you through the computer?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Oh it's also funny when I get a male request and then I go to his page and see that his friends list is comprised almost entirely of pretty girls.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Oh it's also funny when I get a male request and then I go to his page and see that his friends list is comprised almost entirely of pretty girls.

I would take that as a compliment
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Which is why I don't request women (VERY rare exceptions to this)...and it says so right in my profile.

I am not a collector...and refuse to be labeled one :l.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    What an absolutely ignorant statement.

Did you even read what she wrote?

Did you?

I'm giving her a reality check based on what she wrote and how she phrased certain things. It may be harsh and not really my business, but it's meant as constructive criticism and I only have the best intentions.

I'm reminding her that she does have the power to prevent unwanted things from happening, and so does her husband. Avoiding contact with the other sex is never the deciding factor that will prevent you from cheating -- self-control and taking responsibility for your actions are.

She has control over how much flirting she does, just as her husband does, and both can stop when it's getting too intense. Avoiding most contact with strangers of the other sex to prevent cheating is like saying that they have no control.

I'm not telling anybody how to live their lives, just pointing out something and hoping it will prove useful.

I guess you have never heard of innocent men being accused of sexual harassment? The first year my husband was a professor, a very nice fellow professor was accused of sexual harassment. He had no way to prove he was innocent! He said/She said. My husband has set guidelines to follow for several reasons. To protect himself from false accusations and from allowing a friendship to get too close, by setting up these boundaries he is protecting himself.

You said I have control over how much flirting I do and I can stop when it gets too intense. I AM a married woman, I should not be flirting with other men. Why give off a signal when I have NO intention on following through with the act? When I flirt with a man, it is because I am interested in him. I should and I AM only interested in my husband. So, I do not flirt with other men and he does not flirt with other women....we do all of that stuff with each other. AND, this could be why we have a very strong and trusting relationship.

Also, self control, the people that I have seen leave their spouses, usually left their spouse for someone that started out as a friend. So, while I have male friends and talk to men, I converse with men on these forums, I will not develop any personal friendships with men on here so I can make sure that a friendship does not grow into something more. And, even if you think you are in control, you can grow feelings towards someone. It happens every day.

I think it is wise to set up boundaries for oneself. And I believe it is foolish to think, it will never happen to me. I have no problem with others have male and female friends on their FL. That is cool and they can do what they want. I just find it odd that when someone says that they do not have the opposite sex in their FL, they are attacked as "not having control" or having "trust Issues"

AND, I need to say, that I would not be happy if my husband was flirting with other women or asking other women to send him special pictures through Email or text.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    What an absolutely ignorant statement.

Did you even read what she wrote?

Did you?

I'm giving her a reality check based on what she wrote and how she phrased certain things. It may be harsh and not really my business, but it's meant as constructive criticism and I only have the best intentions.

I'm reminding her that she does have the power to prevent unwanted things from happening, and so does her husband. Avoiding contact with the other sex is never the deciding factor that will prevent you from cheating -- self-control and taking responsibility for your actions are.

She has control over how much flirting she does, just as her husband does, and both can stop when it's getting too intense. Avoiding most contact with strangers of the other sex to prevent cheating is like saying that they have no control.

I'm not telling anybody how to live their lives, just pointing out something and hoping it will prove useful.

I guess you have never heard of innocent men being accused of sexual harassment? The first year my husband was a professor, a very nice fellow professor was accused of sexual harassment. He had no way to prove he was innocent! He said/She said. My husband has set guidelines to follow for several reasons. To protect himself from false accusations and from allowing a friendship to get too close, by setting up these boundaries he is protecting himself.

You said I have control over how much flirting I do and I can stop when it gets too intense. I AM a married woman, I should not be flirting with other men. Why give off a signal when I have NO intention on following through with the act? When I flirt with a man, it is because I am interested in him. I should and I AM only interested in my husband. So, I do not flirt with other men and he does not flirt with other women....we do all of that stuff with each other. AND, this could be why we have a very strong and trusting relationship.

Also, self control, the people that I have seen leave their spouses, usually left their spouse for someone that started out as a friend. So, while I have male friends and talk to men, I converse with men on these forums, I will not develop any personal friendships with men on here so I can make sure that a friendship does not grow into something more. And, even if you think you are in control, you can grow feelings towards someone. It happens every day.

I think it is wise to set up boundaries for oneself. And I believe it is foolish to think, it will never happen to me. I have no problem with others have male and female friends on their FL. That is cool and they can do what they want. I just find it odd that when someone says that they do not have the opposite sex in their FL, they are attacked as "not having control" or having "trust Issues"

AND, I need to say, that I would not be happy if my husband was flirting with other women or asking other women to send him special pictures through Email or text.

Do you have a sister?

Seriously.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options

Do you have a sister?

Seriously.

haha...no brothers! See, I have an over load of men in my life. Brothers, husband, 5 sons, sons' friends....I NEED a girl zone!!!
  • the_great_unknown
    the_great_unknown Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with it. One of the best people on my friends list is a male. He's also the only male, but I don't have a lot of friends on here. If you don't want to accept them, it isn't a big deal. Just don't accept them.