Ladies: Do you accept friend requests from guys on MFP?

Options

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I don't for two reasons.

1. I am married and have five sons (plus one daughter) I am around males all of the time and I really want a Girls Only Zone where I can be goofy and perverted, but not seem like I am being sexual or trying to hook up with anyone.

2. My husband does prefer me not to have male friends. He says that he knows how men think and they will try to flirt and hit on me. Now, I had already decided to keep this my girl zone anyway, but I am also doing it because he is my sweetie and if it makes him more comfortable...then that is good!

Your husband sounds like he has trust issues

He has no trust issues. But when you have been with someone for over 24 years, you will couples split from things that seemed innocent at first. No one goes into a "chit-chat"/friendship relationship thinking it will go further. It always starts out innocently. So, we have decided to protect ourselves before this even has a chance to start.

He is a professor and will only talk with female students with his office door open. Not that I do not trust him or he does not trust himself, it is just a safer way to protect yourself from potential dangers.

Considering that I have been happily married to him for 22 years and have been with him for over24 years, I am not going open myself up to something that could destroy our relationship (ie: chatting with men or having them on my FL and then talking to them too much or texting them, or eventually sexting them)

And to those that think that there is no flirting going on here... :huh:

Thank you SO much for telling it like it is! I'm actually getting tired of the constant 'If you don't want your spouse/significant other doing whatever the hell they please despite your concerns and/or things you've agreed on in your relationship...you're a control freak with trust issues!'.

:flowerforyou:

And :flowerforyou: for your husband, too!
  • braign
    braign Posts: 89
    Options
    I add whoever, guys or girls, though I'm pretty quick to nix people if they haven't logged in for a month, so my friends list stays small.

And I'm a pretty 'quiet' friend, so I read everything that everyone else is doing, and it gets me motivated and I hope I can motivate them with what I do, but I don't often comment or get 'chatting' with people. I prefer the forum for that, because it's a group setting.

I haven't been perved on or flirted with in any way either, so I think I have good boundaries set up without excluding anyone.
  • outspan87
    outspan87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    He has no trust issues. But when you have been with someone for over 24 years, you will couples split from things that seemed innocent at first. No one goes into a "chit-chat"/friendship relationship thinking it will go further. It always starts out innocently. So, we have decided to protect ourselves before this even has a chance to start.

He is a professor and will only talk with female students with his office door open. Not that I do not trust him or he does not trust himself, it is just a safer way to protect yourself from potential dangers.

Considering that I have been happily married to him for 22 years and have been with him for over24 years, I am not going open myself up to something that could destroy our relationship (ie: chatting with men or having them on my FL and then talking to them too much or texting them, or eventually sexting them)

Whatever works for you two, but to me it just sounds like a way to avoid the issue rather than confront it. If your husband feels like he HAS to keep the door open to talk with a female student so he won't pounce on her, that's admitting he has no control. And the same for you. You're essentially saying that you have ZERO self-control if you think that a friend request will degenerate into sexting and you are powerless to stop that. To me, that's really ridiculous.
  • secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    No way when my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard I run toward them yelling stranger danger!!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Whatever works for you two, but to me it just sounds like a way to avoid the issue rather than confront it. If your husband feels like he HAS to keep the door open to talk with a female student so he won't pounce on her, that's admitting he has no control. And the same for you. You're essentially saying that you have ZERO self-control if you think that a friend request will degenerate into sexting and you are powerless to stop that. To me, that's really ridiculous.

What an absolutely ignorant statement.

Did you even read what she wrote?
  • secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options

This^^^^....has nothing to do with self control....he can control himself but girls are crazy! Trust me I know and why open the door and risk letting flys is when the ac works just fine!
  • relly1008
    relly1008 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i accept them and i live with my boyfriend, i'm here for support and motivation, it doesn't matter if comes from a guy or a girl, and if they don't behave, DELETE!!!!
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I've never gotten any friend requests from guys on MFP. Maybe because I look like a salad? lol
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Yes, losing weight is losing weight.
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I do. I've always liked hanging out with men and women, so why not online as well. Guys give me good pointers for workouts like weightlifting and have great ideas just as my gal pals do.

I just have one guy so far as a friend, though I guess I need some more male friends on here. I haven't been on MFP very long, though. It also helps with tips for hubby's workouts/ideas/food ideas, etc.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, I accept all, then delete if needed.....:)
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    ...and to some the ladies who said they deny creepers...pfft. You know who you are.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I welcome zee creepers :devil: :laugh:
  • christinet8504
    Options
    I accept friend requests from everyone - even if we have different body types, motivators, and stressors in our lives, we ALL need all the positive vibes we can get. Thats what I get from my friends on here, male or female.
  • mhoward685
    mhoward685 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    There are some guys that act like this is s dating site. Not here for that. Married and not interes??ted. Do I think guys can be supportive? Yes. But the first thought its about something else I'm blocking them!
  • lengirl75
    lengirl75 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I accept requests from men but if it becomes apparent they are just hitting on ladies then I would unfriend them.
  • outspan87
    outspan87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Did you?

I'm giving her a reality check based on what she wrote and how she phrased certain things. It may be harsh and not really my business, but it's meant as constructive criticism and I only have the best intentions.

I'm reminding her that she does have the power to prevent unwanted things from happening, and so does her husband. Avoiding contact with the other sex is never the deciding factor that will prevent you from cheating -- self-control and taking responsibility for your actions are.

She has control over how much flirting she does, just as her husband does, and both can stop when it's getting too intense. Avoiding most contact with strangers of the other sex to prevent cheating is like saying that they have no control.

I'm not telling anybody how to live their lives, just pointing out something and hoping it will prove useful.
  • ninaquelinda
    ninaquelinda Posts: 136
    Options
    I accept any FR, not looking for support here as I am pretty much at my goal wight but I like the social aspect of this site.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options

Wrong, her husband is in a position where he needs to protect himself. Not because he can't control himself but because if he always has an open door policy, it will make it that much harder to prove misconduct accusations by someone looking to cause problems.
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I do. I don't discriminate. Whether they are are a man or not, if they have a lot of weight to loose, why not support each other?