"Plus sized" model??

Options

Replies

• JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    "With the woman in the picture, it's hard to tell if she has muscle tone. The pose she is holding is very relaxed so her definition wouldn't be visible due to a higher body fat percentage. I'm not much bigger than her. I have definition when I flex but in that pose I would look soft. To hold that pose and look defined, you would have to have a fairly low body fat percentage which would be contrary to the point of the article. To me, it look like if she tensed her muscles she would have definition."

Now ya made it personal so I can't say nothin without being a meanie. :sick:

I doubt you would have offended me (besides that comment had as much implied condescension as your point could have if not more because it was directly about me) but take a look at the pose again. Any woman with a body fat percentage in the normal range would look un-toned.
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options
    Ok so my friend sent me a picture like the one above warning me of overdoing it at the gym!:noway:

:laugh: :laugh:

I mean really......do women really think they will look like that if they lift 10 pounds in a bicep curl?

I feel strong and healthy..........I love doing the weights and feeling confident. The other day I lifted myself up onto the washing machine without thinking. A year ago I couldnt life myself from bed without groaning.

Muscles are wonderful...........

I think that pic is as much crappy lighting and bad angles as any thing. Personal opinion.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    0814-lizzie-miller_vg_01.jpg

:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Ok so my friend sent me a picture like the one above warning me of overdoing it at the gym!:noway:

I mean really......do women really think they will look like that if they lift 10 pounds in a bicep curl?

I feel strong and healthy..........I love doing the weights and feeling confident. The other day I lifted myself up onto the washing machine without thinking. A year ago I couldnt life myself from bed without groaning.

I think that pic is as much crappy lighting and bad angles as any thing. Personal opinion.

Madonna or the Model?
  • margaretthedevil
    Options

Madonna or the Model?

Hey, if I looked like Madonna at the age that she is I wouldn't complain. :noway:
    To answer your question:

Actually YES! Here's some of my observations. My friend refers to my thighs as "thunder" thighs and I'm like wtf?! I have some swimmer legs definitely, but definitely not "thunder" thighs. Lol. And I have short legs too so they look bigger. Can still fit the 26s-27s so...no complaint. It's much better than having FLABBY thighs (no offense to people who do have flabbier ones! D=). But I get so many thin girls complaining about their flabby thighs. Well maybe if they did some squats and consistent exercise...Actually one girl actually told me that doing squats would make me shorter in a totally condescending way. What a .... 0.o. When I told one of my friends that I was on level 3 of the 30 day shred lifting 5 pounds each arm, she thought that I was going to get "ripped." Shouldn't you be ripped by now? Uhhh no way anyone can get ripped that fast as you can't produce muscle at that rate plus you can't lose fat at a crazy fast rate. It's called pushing yourself AND after a few times I can already tell that it's gotten easier. A lot of women do not push themselves and therefore will never produce any real results. I see so many women put all of the emphasis on the cardio and doing zero amounts of strength training. Number of women in the weight room at my college gym: almost ZERO. Another example, my mother to this day does not want to lift weights for fear of getting "bulked up" like the hulk even though I say that it will make her bones stronger. Seriously!? And she doesn't want me to do a large amount of weights either. I read in an article in SELF mag about Beyonce. She can do hours of dance practice on tour, but only like 10 push ups max. And she's saying in the article, I want to be strong, but I still want to look "womanly" and have "curves." As if some weight training will make you lose your curves Beyonce. Might make you able to do some more push ups though. So yes, I believe that this myth is still alive and kicking.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of my mom--she recently started lifting weights at age 72
    >> time for me to get started too!! :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    :noway: I find that amazing. In this day and time with all the media to check out facts that women still think they will be green and huge if they lift weights.

As I said, I would love to have my muscles show, but I sure dont want to look like Madonna........everything in moderation.

Dont get me wrong. I give her credit for the commitment it takes to get that ripped with 0 body fat.............I just think it is ugly. But that is me.

As for your thunder thighs :love: :love:

I was with my friend at the beach this weekend when a girl ran by us. She was sculpted and her muscles showed because of the sheen of sweat and the suntan oil.

Her legs were big and her butt round.......I said at the same time as my friend..........:love: I wanna look like that!!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I'm so proud of my mom--she recently started lifting weights at age 72
    >> time for me to get started too!! :laugh:

That is awesome! I love seeing the older ladies at the gym! Except when they show me up in class:angry::laugh: :laugh:
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options

Madonna or the Model?
    madonna
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options
    Hey, if I looked like Madonna at the age that she is I wouldn't complain.
    To answer your question:

Actually YES! Here's some of my observations. My friend refers to my thighs as "thunder" thighs and I'm like wtf?! I have some swimmer legs definitely, but definitely not "thunder" thighs. Lol. And I have short legs too so they look bigger. Can still fit the 26s-27s so...no complaint. It's much better than having FLABBY thighs (no offense to people who do have flabbier ones! D=). But I get so many thin girls complaining about their flabby thighs. Well maybe if they did some squats and consistent exercise...Actually one girl actually told me that doing squats would make me shorter in a totally condescending way. What a .... 0.o. When I told one of my friends that I was on level 3 of the 30 day shred lifting 5 pounds each arm, she thought that I was going to get "ripped." Shouldn't you be ripped by now? Uhhh no way anyone can get ripped that fast as you can't produce muscle at that rate plus you can't lose fat at a crazy fast rate. It's called pushing yourself AND after a few times I can already tell that it's gotten easier. A lot of women do not push themselves and therefore will never produce any real results. I see so many women put all of the emphasis on the cardio and doing zero amounts of strength training. Number of women in the weight room at my college gym: almost ZERO. Another example, my mother to this day does not want to lift weights for fear of getting "bulked up" like the hulk even though I say that it will make her bones stronger. Seriously!? And she doesn't want me to do a large amount of weights either. I read in an article in SELF mag about Beyonce. She can do hours of dance practice on tour, but only like 10 push ups max. And she's saying in the article, I want to be strong, but I still want to look "womanly" and have "curves." As if some weight training will make you lose your curves Beyonce. Might make you able to do some more push ups though. So yes, I believe that this myth is still alive and kicking.

I mentioned to this guy I know that I was doing weights and he asked me what weight I use. I told him generally a 10 or 15lb free weight per hand. He told me not to go higher because girls should only be able to do about 15lbs (bicep curl). I wanted to smack him SOOO bad!
    Besides, it doesn't matter how much you can lift, you won't look like that pic of madonna if you have 20% body fat.
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    i think we're ALL forgetting something......to me it looks as if the model JUST had a baby....lol i know personally when i was pregnant i basked in the glory of being fat :laugh: big mistake but i didnt work out and i didnt train my muscles......and we all know it takes a while for muscles to build back up.....sooooo maybe after 9 months of being preggo she lost muscle mass??...that stomach is from having a new baby
  • hasiangirl
    Options
    btw and i this hoping to not step on any toes, but it's kind of sad......because this topic was started to commend the girl in the photo for actually taking such a photo and listen to us scrutinize her..... we;re just as bad as the rest of society who has a certain outlook on how a person "should" look :sick:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Uhh....no. I "just" had a baby 4 years ago and my tummy looks almost just like that. At my age (40+++), the extra tummy weight from pregnancy is dang near impossible to get rid of.
  • hasiangirl
    Options
    Uhh....no. I "just" had a baby 4 years ago and my tummy looks almost just like that. At my age (40+++), the extra tummy weight from pregnancy is dang near impossible to get rid of.
    well i cheated.....i read the article about her
  • curvyone
    curvyone Posts: 22
    Options
    Thats how I was at 210 lbs. Size 14, I had a stomach...but it wasnt rolly and I was very proportionate....not everyone could pull that off. GO YOU! Yay for having a bangin shape :)
  • curvyone
    Options
    yeah i pretty much agree with you. I work out...and I have PLENTY of curve...thus my screen name :)

I do have a body thats capable of building A LOT of muscle...fast. So comparatively to most women I "bulk" easily....but easily as in if I try to bulk. Doing a normal paced and healthy strength training routine does not make me bulk. However, when I start power lifting I bulk up REAL quick. So to all of the ladies who are afraid of strength training... I have one thing to say; muscle burns fat. If you lose muscle, you will gain fat. If you gain muscle, you will lose fat. It takes a nice balance of ALL fitness aspects to maintain a healthy life. Stretching, core exercises, strength, cardio and a balanced diet.
  • curvyone
    Options
    I can already tell I like you songbyrd
  • curvyone
    Options
    I dont think we should support or encourage being obese. However I do agree that models shouldnt just be ONE type of woman...there are a lot of different types of healthy bodies out there.
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options
    btw and i this hoping to not step on any toes, but it's kind of sad......because this topic was started to commend the girl in the photo for actually taking such a photo and listen to us scrutinize her..... we;re just as bad as the rest of society who has a certain outlook on how a person "should" look :sick:

I was just thinking that on my way to the gym.:smooched:
  • hasiangirl
    Options

I was just thinking that on my way to the gym.:smooched:
    great minds think alike.....:smooched: .....i know one thing.....if anyone criticized me like that esp after having kids.....i'd prob cry and then eat a whole fudge platter to my face :laugh: ok maybe excluding the fudge platter part, but i deff would feel horrible about myself and we're here to encourage eachother to love our bodies