Scale number will move only when good & ready

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Kim55555 wrote: »
    Hmmm I might as well do a little experiment on my way to starting maintenance and see if I can lose eating 2200. I'll aim for 2200 for the next 6 weeks & see what happens!! I think I can still lose on 2200. A very slow loss but a loss lol.

@Kim55555 I know all about feeling burnt out, am currently experiencing signs of it and last year went through 4 weeks of almost depression from just doing too much. I heartily approve of your latest decision, eating at 2200 is sustainable yet you'll still lose albeit slowly. Keep us updated :smile:

yesterday was my day to eat high, I stopped short of 2500 which is a 400 cal saving than usual so all should be well. I am finally noticing those extra 3 lbs! Put on yoga pants yesterday to do my workout, not worn them in a while and I thought my hips were more padded looking than normal! ! I knew the scale didn't lie! My brain was trying to fool me. A few pounds is noticeable when you're a small fry lol

Wishing you great and continued success...you are doing fabulously :smiley:
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! You are all doing so well!!!

I have to keep coming back to this to remind myself to give that dumb scale TIME! I keep status on my calories eaten, my fitbit TDEE, my deficit and such, and according to my stats, I should have lost 1.8lbs. My scale is only saying .8....so this is where I need to patiently wait for the scale to move when its dang good and ready!!
    This being over 40 and having hormonal changes going on sure does prove to take its time when your trying to lose... Its very frustrating. I have never had an issue with the scale swinging ups sooo much and then back down a bit, then down again, then swing up...just drives me crazy. I don't know how you gals got to that point to be at or near maintenance!!! Things are moving at a snails pace for me. I'm trying to hard to be patient.
    This past weekend, I stayed under my calorie goal, although it wasn't the best choices, I had one day that was high carb, high sodium, and that scale swung up 3lbs even tho I know I didn't eat that much and was under my TDEE. Its just such a mental game!! UGH!! :'(
    Thanks for letting me vent, I know it will all work out--just exercising my patience is proving to be a challenge. :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @skinny_4me‌2be thanks for sharing, totally understand the need for a rant, it's horrible when you know your doing everything yet scale isn't moving like it should...be patient, it will come off and soon you'll look back and be proud of all you've achieved :smile:
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you gals got to that point to be at or near maintenance!!! Things are moving at a snails pace for me. I'm trying to hard to be patient.
    This past weekend, I stayed under my calorie goal, although it wasn't the best choices, I had one day that was high carb, high sodium, and that scale swung up 3lbs

How I got to the point of being close to maintainence... It's a challenge mentally that's for sure as sometimes you are not sure you feel like your progressing. I just keep/kept telling myself to be patient and it'll work. You'll get there don't worry.

@skinny4me2be‌ have you thought about just weighing once every 5 weeks? Looks like you could use a break from the scale! It is messing with your emotions!!
  • Kim55555
    edited March 2015
    Options
    In 3 and a 1/2 weeks I lost 300 grams and 1 % body fat. :smile: I am now 25 % body fat.

My metabolic age is now 24 down from 26. :smiley:

Here are the gross calories stats I ate to achieve the 1 % loss in body fat

Feb 16 - Feb 22, 2015 - 2255 gross weekly calorie average

Feb 23 - March 1, 2015 - 2025 gross weekly calorie average

March 1 - March 8, 2015 - 2156 gross weekly calorie average

March 9 - March 15, 2015 - 2282 gross weekly calorie average

I also didn't achieve this by killing myself doing heaps of cardio. Just 2-3 vigorous cardio pw and 1-2 weights. For a while there I was burnt out from my job and was injured too which meant I wasn't as active. So I can lose without having to go to extremes exercising! I walked a bit to and from work which wasn't too taxing.

Over the last 6 days I have averaged 2328. I will need to try hard to lower it today to get it closer to a 2200 average for the week. I plan to go for a long bike ride.

• Kim55555
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hmmm I might as well do a little experiment on my way to starting maintenance and see if I can lose eating 2200. I'll aim for 2200 for the next 6 weeks & see what happens!! I think I can still lose on 2200. A very slow loss but a loss lol.

@Kim55555 I know all about feeling burnt out, am currently experiencing signs of it and last year went through 4 weeks of almost depression from just doing too much. I heartily approve of your latest decision, eating at 2200 is sustainable yet you'll still lose albeit slowly. Keep us updated :smile:

yesterday was my day to eat high, I stopped short of 2500 which is a 400 cal saving than usual so all should be well. I am finally noticing those extra 3 lbs! Put on yoga pants yesterday to do my workout, not worn them in a while and I thought my hips were more padded looking than normal! ! I knew the scale didn't lie! My brain was trying to fool me. A few pounds is noticeable when you're a small fry lol

Wishing you great and continued success...you are doing fabulously :smiley:

Thanks! @RunRutheeRun‌ You too!! :smile:

• LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    wooot to being 24 :)@kim55555 ..I love how much you can eat and still lose :smile: but you are a very active gal :smiley:
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Ok Ladies...I have GOT to learn to trust the scale will move when its good and ready but I sometimes thing shocking the system has got to help it along. Prior to my trip I had been sticking to my daily goal and working out six times a week with a one mile walk thrown in here and there.
    As you've seen from my feeds, I was on a high school trip with my kid. My normal work out routine was thrown out the window and replaced by a TON of walking. My TDEE on my trip was between 2400-2800 so I ate between 21-2200 (and my daily goal is 2040--but being my TDEE was high-I ate) with one day going over my TDEE by 250 calories, which was my last day and a very HIGH sodium day. Upon returning home, my weight had only shown a .4 loss, which puts me on track of losing .5 a week or so. So I was pleased. However, today when I stepped on the scale, it showed another significant drop of 2lbs. WOW! Hopefully that loss is here to stay.
    So a couple of things I want to point out of possibilities that I *may* have learned.
    1) Learning to trust my fitbit and its numbers and eat accordingly.
    2) My body was stuck in a routine with exercise, I think I shocked it by doing something different by walking many many (on avg 5.5 a day) miles.
    3) Having a re-feed I think that's what they call it: (going over my calorie allotment by one day and getting back on track the next) did not kill my plan but maybe shocked my system and produced a loss.
    I will continue to track and monitor and watch these types of trends and try to remember to do something different when my body gets stuck in routine. I have it all noted on my statistical spreadsheet! (data geek, I know) :)
    I just had to type this out so that when I get frustrated with the scale not moving that I come back and see this!

@Kim55555‌ --Congrats to you! Your dedication is paying off!!! :smiley:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @skinny_4me‌2be you see! ! You're getting somewhere and you're learning what works for your body *high 5* :smile: hope that 2lbs keeps off, but I'm sure it will :smiley:
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Great timing for this post to come back up! My stupid scale has not budged in 3 months and it gets frustrating. Luckily though I was brought up on the mentality of go off of how your clothes fit. I have lost inches and pants size but nothing on the scale. Some days it gets so frustrating but I try to remind myself it will catch up one day. Keep on keeping on!
  • Kim55555
    Options
    ncscott11 wrote: »
    Great timing for this post to come back up! My stupid scale has not budged in 3 months and it gets frustrating. Luckily though I was brought up on the mentality of go off of how your clothes fit. I have lost inches and pants size but nothing on the scale. Some days it gets so frustrating but I try to remind myself it will catch up one day. Keep on keeping on!

Good work! Keep it up :smile:
  • Kim55555
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Here are my findings from the past few weeks.

I gained eating 2524 calories from 23 March - 29 March

I maintained on 2334 calories the week before being 16 March - 22 March

The last 6 days - March 30 - April 4 I have averaged 2508 calories :neutral::(

It will be interesting to see what the scale says in the next few days.

I have been trying to eat below 2000 so as to lose the kg I put on but ATM its just not happening! It's a win for me if I eat below 2300. I'll take that! Hopefully once I am able to get my appetite under control again by eating 2200-2300 a day I can then look to doing another cut at 2000 calories. I need stability right now!

Previously I ranged between mid 57's - high 59's and now my scale range is between high 58's - 60.5 kg so I've put on a kg in weight.

I have been really down about it all until yesterday when I took my monthly progress photos. Thank god for photos!!!!! My side on shots now show clear quad definition!!!!!! :smiley: definition I have never seen before (im seeing the quad teardrop!! Woohoooo) so there is no other explanation for it than I have put a little muscle on and melted fat from the quads. Lol you should have seen how excited I was on my status yesterday morning!!!!! :wink:

The past month or so I have really upped my squats and leg presses, I'm lifting extremely heavy. I keep on overloading with heavier weights! On the days I do my weights session I have had a craaaazy appetite and I've gone with it and have eaten a few hundred over my maintenance. On my cardio days some of the time I was eating below maintenance to balance my calorie average out but lately I've been eating at maintenance on my cardio days. I had a weights session yesterday and was happy to pull off 2300 :smile:

I know i keep on changing my mind about what my plan is but i think from here on in I'll do a slow recomp. My body seems to want/need this. I will be fighting hard to keep my calories to below 2300 weekly average! I think I can manage this!!

I get my measurements and body fat % taken on April 8... I'm curious to see the results.

I now need to fight to stay below 60.5 kg ! Slow recomp for me now. The thing I like about the slow recomp is you are eating at or just below maintenance and you have lots of energy to get stronger and for your sports/exercise. I don't think I'll ever go into maintenance mode, it's way too dangerous for me, that kind of mindset! I need to ensure I will always eat at just a little defecit to be successful and to keep the weight off and I realise that now. I also want to get to 20 % body fat. I'm currently 25 % body fat. :smile:
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Ok Ladies...I have GOT to learn to trust the scale will move when its good and ready but I sometimes thing shocking the system has got to help it along. Prior to my trip I had been sticking to my daily goal and working out six times a week with a one mile walk thrown in here and there.
    As you've seen from my feeds, I was on a high school trip with my kid. My normal work out routine was thrown out the window and replaced by a TON of walking. My TDEE on my trip was between 2400-2800 so I ate between 21-2200 (and my daily goal is 2040--but being my TDEE was high-I ate) with one day going over my TDEE by 250 calories, which was my last day and a very HIGH sodium day. Upon returning home, my weight had only shown a .4 loss, which puts me on track of losing .5 a week or so. So I was pleased. However, today when I stepped on the scale, it showed another significant drop of 2lbs. WOW! Hopefully that loss is here to stay.
    So a couple of things I want to point out of possibilities that I *may* have learned.
    1) Learning to trust my fitbit and its numbers and eat accordingly.
    2) My body was stuck in a routine with exercise, I think I shocked it by doing something different by walking many many (on avg 5.5 a day) miles.
    3) Having a re-feed I think that's what they call it: (going over my calorie allotment by one day and getting back on track the next) did not kill my plan but maybe shocked my system and produced a loss.
    I will continue to track and monitor and watch these types of trends and try to remember to do something different when my body gets stuck in routine. I have it all noted on my statistical spreadsheet! (data geek, I know) :)
    I just had to type this out so that when I get frustrated with the scale not moving that I come back and see this!

@Kim55555‌ --Congrats to you! Your dedication is paying off!!! :smiley:

That's great... Always learning about your body arnt ya!!

Yep good idea about changing your exercise routines... It's good to do something different and also relieves boredom! After a number of weeks or when I feel my body needs it I scale right back on my intensity and have a few rest days in a row or just walk for half a week. It freshens me up. Ret is good for recovery and growth!

The refeed day is cool too every now and then, I used to like to do it once every few weeks. :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @Kim55555 and @skinny_4me‌2be I think we all keep changing how we do things, it's no bad thing.

I have decided just today that I want to lose a little more weight! ! 6lbs is what I'm aiming for now and I'm wanting them gone before 11Jul when we head off on vacation....that's 1/2lb a week which is surely doable! ! I just need to change up my diary and get rid of some of the rubbish! Think that's the only way for me to get results!

I'll stick to my 60 min run x 6 days/wk and 3 times x 30-40 strength training. steps average increase to 20k x 6 days, Sun's 10k walked as its a rest day.

And no more silly Fitbit challenges of trying to do 40k/20 miles in a day!! Stupidly I did 80 miles last week and was so hungry I ate all of my exercise cals! ! How daft to eat after all that activity! ! Am kicking myself as I should have lost! Instead back up to 138! 1lb gained! ! Oh well we live and learn!!

Last week average cals 2400/day!! Minimal deficit! Fitbit gave me 2800 for doing 41000 steps! And for 30k gave me 2500!! Pants to that!! My normal tdee with 17k steps is 2200! So technically I walked/ran extra 13 miles for 600 cals! Sucks as far as I'm concerned! !

Sorry for the long reply!

Hope your weekend is going awesomely :smile:
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Hi Ruthee, good luck! :smile: it's hard in that if you end up doing heaps of activity your appetite goes into overdrive which means the defecit won't be as much, and for me it runs the real risk of me going overboard and my appetite going out of control.

So what calorie average will you aim for?

I weighed the low point of my range today. Range in the last 6 days has been 58.9 - 60.5 kg. Today I weighed 59.0 and I'm praying I didnt put weight on after averaging 2504 calories last week! That's 2 weeks now that I've eaten 2500 calories eeeek :neutral:

Oh that's right I nearly forgot to mention... I'm now drinking 2 glasses of water 15 mins before eating so as to fill my tummy and just before I eat I'll drink another glass. I've noticed that I've still wanted to eat after eating a good sized dinner and I've snacked but then I've realised that I hardly drank any water before during or after eating. Maybe water is my answer to help keep me full and not eat as many calories each day. Anyway, I'll find an answer to curb my appetite lol! Do you guys find drinking water helps?

I know that if I can just be tough/strict for the first week with less calories my appetite and hunger will go down and get used to eating less. I'd gladly take 2100 calories at this stage lol. Hmmm maybe I should reach for cabbage or have some green tea.
  • cioube
    cioube Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ha I'm thankful I've seen this post and seen I'm not the only one.
    I'm WAYYYY off my goal weight, I've been at this for 96 days to be precise, I have lost 5.6kg of 30kg. So it's not like my body is happy at its weight.
    I have not lost weight in the past month. But pictures show a massive difference. Usually I take a picture every month, but I was frustrated so I took a pictures two weeks after the previous one and there is a very very clear difference.
    But yet, I'd still like the scales to budge, it would help mentally.

After speaking with my coach, he said that surely I'm not plateau-ing because of workouts or else pretty much everyone would plateau after a few weeks. But he has still given me new workouts so let's see if that helps :)

Anyways, just remember it will pay off at some point ! It's always so much better than junk food and being a couch potato haha
  • Kim55555
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Good for you! And glad this topic has given you some hope and encouragement. Remember that new exercises cause the body to retain fluid so even if you are losing fat it won't register on the scale. Eventually it will though so you just gotta hang in there and keep plugging away.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @Kim55555 thanks for your reply and nice to see your seeing a lower number and hope that despite your higher average all will be well.

I'm going to be strict, 1700 cals gross, definitely not higher than 1750....its gonna be tough! But I NEED to see a lower number as I'm starting to panic and feel I'm on the slippery slope to being fatter again!!

On Sat I'll still eat higher but no more than 2200 rather than 2500. Overall average weekly deficit should be 4500, probably a bit aggressive but I'm not getting anywhere eating 1900 cals/day ...very sad about this!!

Makes me wonder how I possibly thought I was able to maintain eating 2200!!! I still feel clueless!

I looked at my weight chart for past 6 months and despite eating basically same cals since Oct, (2000k) from Feb on my weight is slowly creeping up at 1lb per month... my body obviously has got used to my workouts and is needing less cals!! How depressing! !

Sorry to rant on but feeling disheartened! !

Each day I expect weight to drop back down but it's not. 138 is my weight!! Sighhhhh lol

Ok enough griping from me, I'm tired as we've done loads of yard work and I'm feeling sorry for myself that on such a nice day we're working instead of taking off to the seaside!!

Keep posting your updates and they spur me on :smile:
  • junebedson
    junebedson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The thing is, if the scale is not moving I find its kind of hard for me to tell if im on track as you haven't got that weekly scale clue so at times it feels like you are flying blind. I will try my grey skirt on again in 3 weeks time & see how it's fitting. From past experience I know that my fat loss sweet spot is between 1700-1900 calories for the intense exercise I do. So I'll keep the faith & patience!

Well it's been a few weeks now since I tried the skirt on. I have great news! I tried on that grey skirt and the zipper goes all the way up now!!!! Before it only went half way! So I'm happy to know that I am making progress even though the scale has not moved still. Wooohoooo, the calorie amount I'm on is working so I'll continue eating the same amount in the safe knowledge I'm losing fat eating that amount. Yey so proof that I haven't plateaued :smiley: phew!!

• junebedson
    junebedson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi first time poster here,so glad I read ur post as this is exactly what happening to me. I feel much fitter and my clothes look better but the scale has moved 1/2kilo in eight weeks!! I was reducing calories and not eating back exercise calories and on the verge of giving up .but now I won't weigh in every week I'm measuring instead .thanks so much for the info.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!