Grammar Is Dead, Long Live Grammar Nerds

Options

Replies

• StrengthIDidntKnow
    StrengthIDidntKnow Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have a contact that I deal with frequently at work, she doesn't work for us. It drives me crazy every time I receive an email from her. Not only is the body usually grammatically incorrect and full of spelling errors, so is her signature.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2012/06/grammar-dead-long-live-grammar-nerds/53749/

I know, I know. Leave us alone you say. The people who care about grammar will be the ones who read this. The people who do not will go back to their browsing of icanhascheezburger.com.
    Admittedly, when I am on my phone, I am not as stringent in my proofreading. I tend to skip words and fail to double check what my phone has automatically inserted.
    But in a business setting, my grammar will be impeccable.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with people who love grammar. I do have a problem with those who down me because I am not perfect in it. I am not the type that writes like "yea boi i no i be strutten" that ignorance bothers me to no end. I am though not the type that is going to stress if I accidently put your when I am supposed to put you're to someone. I have other things on my priority list to stress about (like serving my country, staying safe, and keeping my family safe and happy) Just my opinion :)
  • MrsSamB
    MrsSamB Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Funny article! Thanks for posting. Now, I just need to add this article to a grammar lesson for my kiddos. I wonder if they'll understand???
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I will say this once.... Who cares?
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Apparently you do not. So why are you here?

Almost everyone has pet peeves about one thing or another. "Very unique" is a phase that irritates me. Something is either unique or it is not unique. I don't believe I have ever called out anyone for using the phrase.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

Almost everyone has pet peeves about one thing or another. "Very unique" is a phase that irritates me. Something is either unique or it is not unique. I don't believe I have ever called out anyone for using the phrase.
    If you submit a resume littered with typos and grammar mistakes and you don't get a job, you will then.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Based on the number or responses to this thread, I'm going to guess a LOT of people care :tongue:
  • vade43113
    Options

I am here, just like everyone else... sharing my opinion.

The "very unique" thing I can understand, but come on... if you're going to let someone's misplacement of a word, misspelled word, wrong word in use, or a mark; ruin your day... you have way too much time on your hands
    If you submit a resume littered with typos and grammar mistakes and you don't get a job, you will then.
    That is what; spell check, grammar check and proof reading .. and by the way, even if you have a perfect resume you aren't promised the job.

Try to use another metaphor, where grammer really does count for success or failure... Oh... there isn't one
  • vade43113
    Options
    Based on the number or responses to this thread, I'm going to guess a LOT of people care :tongue:

Then it isn't dead, now is it?
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

The "very unique" thing I can understand, but come on... if you're going to let someone's misplacement of a word, misspelled word, wrong word in use, or a mark; ruin your day... you have way too much time on your hands
    That is what; spell check, grammar check and proof reading .. and by the way, even if you have a perfect resume you aren't promised the job.

Try to use another metaphor, where grammer really does count for success or failure... Oh... there isn't one
    No you are not promised a, but if i got a resume with those types of mistakes, I would not consider it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

No you are not promised a, but if i got a resume with those types of mistakes, I would not consider it.
    Truth. As a hiring manager, if the candidate couldn't use proper grammar or spell basic words correctly on a resume or job application (one of the reasons I like handwritten applications,) that candidate doesn't even get considered. Oh, and grammar and spell checks can't catch homophones.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options

That's like saying, well just because you wear a suit it doesn't mean you'll get the job, so I'll go to the interview in cut off jeans and a Bob Marley t-shirt.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    There is another thread that I can't even read on here (it's on post 2 now) called the complement game. It's COMPLIMENT you dumbasses!!!
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    LOVE this. Bump!

(I am also a big time Grammar Nerd! Feel free to add! Grammar Nerds Unite!)
  • vade43113
    Options
    Truth. As a hiring manager, if the candidate couldn't use proper grammar or spell basic words correctly on a resume or job application (one of the reasons I like handwritten applications,) that candidate doesn't even get considered.

Then those who the system has failed, will never get a job according to you.

It isn't their fault the education system in this country sucks.

Sorry, I have a friend who the system did fail him... he graduated High School, in 2003, not knowing how to read or write. And according to every single one here,, that says it is all important, he shouldn't even be allowed to do anything except die.... You all can fade, before I see him put in the ground
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options

And supposubly instead of supposedly?!?!

^^^^^This. Anyone remember the Friends episode with Joey? I didn't think anyone actually did that, until one of MY friends did, and I almost died on the spot from laughter, thinking they were kidding. They were not kidding. *AWKWARD!*
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Did not know #4! :embarassed: :laugh:
    I am as shocked as you!
    Canada Geese, however, do exist.

Canadian Geese exist, too. Any goose from Canada is a Canadian Goose. However, the Canada Goose is a specific type of goose, and therefore isn't Canadian unless it's from Canada. See the difference?

Also, number six is dead wrong. "Whom" is an object and should always be used as such. Using it is NOT archaic, although it's a bit ignorant to be used as a pronoun.

Grammar nazis FTW!

Canada grants citizenship to geese? I have a friend who lives in London. His citizenship is from Canada, so he's Canadian. Where a goose is "from" is irrelevant since geese migrate. If Canada grants them citizenship, they are "Canadian geese." Do you see the difference?

Did Canada start granting citizenship to beer, too? Because I'm fairly certain that there IS such a thing as Canadian beer, and yet no citizenship category for beer that I can find. Therefore, I vote in favor of Grammar nazis FTW!
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    Truth. As a hiring manager, if the candidate couldn't use proper grammar or spell basic words correctly on a resume or job application (one of the reasons I like handwritten applications,) that candidate doesn't even get considered.

Sorry, I have a friend who the system did fail him... he graduated High School, in 2003, not knowing how to read or write. And according to every single one here,, that says it is all important, he shouldn't even be allowed to do anything.
    Someone who doesn't know how to read and write is an unfortunate product of a broken education system, yes. But does that mean everyone they know also can't read or write or follow basic rules of grammar? Can't someone proof-read for them? Also, someone as you are describing, most likely won't be applying for jobs requiring resumes. Sad, but true.

The fact is, bad grammar and typos on resumes and applications shows a lack of attention to detail. That's a big red flag for most hiring managers. If you can't even get things right on something you've had plenty of time to prepare, such as a resume, how can one expect that person to write a professional email to clients? It shows a hiring manager that the person didn't care enough to put in full effort. It may seem unfair, but that's just the way it is.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    finally. i've been waiting for a thread like this.

LOOSE clothes. LOSE weight.

:)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

Sorry, I have a friend who the system did fail him... he graduated High School, in 2003, not knowing how to read or write. And according to every single one here,, that says it is all important, he shouldn't even be allowed to do anything except die.... You all can fade, before I see him put in the ground

You're being a bit extreme by suggesting "every single one here" thinks your friend should go die!! I don't see that sentiment at all. The thread was about "grammar nerds" and people are just venting about what things bother them personally. Most have not suggested people who don't speak or write properly should die or don't deserve to get a job doing anything. Its just a truth that a resume with grammar or spelling mistakes is going to end up in the trash about 99 out of 100 times.

Edited to add....I know some incredibly smart people who don't spell well or use the best grammar, but they can kick my grammar-nerd @ss every day of the week on technical knowledge, (they just can't write their own resumes!)