Vegetarians - why?

Options

Replies

• TheFitFireman
    TheFitFireman Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Again, why do YOU care what other people deem proper nutrition for themselves? As far as a vegetarian not being able to "change anything" , its about doing what you think is right. Ever heard of the qoute "Be the change you want to see in the world" ? Do you see all these companies proudly promoting CAGE FREE, ORGANIC, HUMANELY RAISED. Thats because people spoke up about what they wanted in their food.. So its not "ridiculous " to not eat meat, its a personal choice that should be respected.

Where did I ever say that I don't respect someones choice to be vegan or vegetarian? If anything I've said the complete opposite. I also never claimed to care what other people deem as proper nutrition, I merely want an understand of why someone chooses to be vegetarian if they have no medical reasoning and they actually enjoy the taste. "Be the change you want to see in the world", that's all cute and everything in fairytale land but we live in real life. You want animal cruelty to end then what are you doing on the internet talking about it, actually go out and make some real progress on the matter. Otherwise you're doing nothing for ending animal cruelty.

You're like ,12 buddy.

I'm almost 23, buddy. Nice try though, as if my age mattered also. I love how I say all that and you have nothing to respond with so you resort to failed childish attacks. You can call me 12 all you want, but you're the one acting like it.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options

...However, I just don't get it, and never will....

If this is your stance...why even ask?

I have never been ok with the thought of meat but I ate it anyway. After I thought about it more I realized I was only eating it because it is what we do.... I actually do find it gross and disturbing, some of the responses here seem to suggest that I am supposed to feel a different way and my way of thinking/feeling is wrong...that is severely flawed logic... So I currently do not eat meat because I find it unappetizing. Are there foods you don't like? Same thing...simple enough really.
  • TheFitFireman
    Options
    FitFireMan: "If you have no medical reason to not eat meat and you actually like the taste of meat but choose not to eat it, then that person is probably someone who doesn't eat meat because they can't handle thinking about a cow being killed or any other animal. Which in that case, it's a ridiculous reason to not eat meat."

Ridiculous [def]: Deserving or inviting derision or mockery; absurd.

Yeah, it's absurd to not eat meat if you have no medical reasoning and you enjoy the taste of it. Animals are going to die regardless, so not eating meat because they die is absurd. So cool story once again, but you didn't prove anything in your favor.

You are calling ethical vegetarians 'ridiculous'--deserving or inviting derision or mockery. This is arrogant.

Coming from the woman who posts all kinds of butt hurt on every single thread I've seen you on, am I suppose to take offense? I pointed out my intentions and meanings, you choose to ignore them, so where you call me arrogant I'll call you ignorant.
  • Jflowwers
    Jflowwers Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    FitFireMan: "If you have no medical reason to not eat meat and you actually like the taste of meat but choose not to eat it, then that person is probably someone who doesn't eat meat because they can't handle thinking about a cow being killed or any other animal. Which in that case, it's a ridiculous reason to not eat meat."

Yeah, it's absurd to not eat meat if you have no medical reasoning and you enjoy the taste of it. Animals are going to die regardless, so not eating meat because they die is absurd. So cool story once again, but you didn't prove anything in your favor.

Remember 5 minutes ago when you asked me when you said that you didnt respect someone elses food choices? This statement is not the epitome of respect BUDDY. Have a great weekend!!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options

I'm gonna go kill some kids. 'Cause they're gonna die anyways. May join in. Never liked the buggers.

I'm a pescetarian because I like animals and I don't believe you can actually like animals whilst trying to eat them and their brethren. I don't like fish, so I eat them.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    If you really want to know why people are vegetarian/vegan you should watch Forks Over Knives or Vegucated or Food Matters.
    I am a vegan myself, I don't care if you eat meat and cheese... whatever. To each his own.
    But to say you "don't get it" is probably because you don't want to get it. You like your meat, you like your cheese, go ahead and eat it. That's fine. Don't act like you don't even understand or grasp the concept behind vegetarianism. It's pretty clear why people do it.
    And your body is not made to sustain a meat based diet, plant based has been and will always be a more sustainable diet. It is better for your body, the animals, as well as the earth.
    Your teeth are also not sharp like that of a lion or tiger, they're actually pretty flat (and don't try to tell me about canines, those are nothing compared to all your other teeth), your teeth are not made to rip flesh/muscle. Also your body isn't done as much good by meat as it is vegetables. Less risk of heart related diseases, strokes, high blood pressure and obesity
    End rant.

I've watched all those movies on Netflix, there's nothing in them to turn someone into a vegetarian. Also, no it's not clear why most people choose vegetarianism, seems like half the time it's because people can't stand the thought of animals being killed so they think somehow by them being vegetarian it's going to change anything. For people with medical reasons it's understandable, if you don't like the taste of meat then it's understandable, but simply not eating meat for no reason seems ridiculous. If you have no medical reason to not eat meat and you actually like the taste of meat but choose not to eat it, then that person is probably someone who doesn't eat meat because they can't handle thinking about a cow being killed or any other animal. Which in that case, it's a ridiculous reason to not eat meat.

Let's not make an argument of teeth either, humans are more than capable obviously of eating and digesting meat, we don't need tiger fangs to be able to eat meat. There have been several cases of cannibalism where the person did his/her deed without the assistance of modern silverware, their teeth were more than enough.

My REASON is because I don't wantto contribute to animal slaughter. That IS reason enough. Give me a reason why you DO eat meat please. And I can cone back at you with any number of arguments that meat is HORRIBLE for human consumption, especially the way we feed cattle and fowl to get it all ready to murder for your consumption. Tell me WHY you need that steak, because I just don't see it as reason enough no matter what you say. You thinking my reason is not reason enough is arrogant.

Arrogant and superior.

And in my neck of the woods...redneck. LoL!

I'm redneck because I eat meat? Hmmm, you must be such a great person trying to put people down for being normal. You must be so cool being such a self righteous animal protector. I bet you've never once done anything in your life to end animal cruelty, you just talk about it on the internet and that makes you feel like you've done something. And you say I'm arrogant, what a joke.

No, you are a redneck because you think your opinion is the only one that matters....LOL....no, actually I don't know if you are a redneck or not and shouldn't have said that. You are, however, very ignorant IMO. You asked for people's reasons why they don't eat meat. I gave you mine and you told me it wasn't a good enough reason. Who are you to tell me it isn't a good enough reason? That's right, nobody.

As to whether or not I've done anything to protect animal rights, it really isn't any of your damn business. But since you have baited me into this stupid discussion, I will tell you that I'm very involved with animal rescues - especially avian rescues. ( that means bird to you). And I've dealt with, many times, people who don't give a freaking crap about animals...you know, people like you who like to kill for pleasure. Don't get me started on this subject buddy. It's a conversation you don't want to have. Grow up and accept everybody's reasons as being as valid as your reasons.
  • rhichi
    rhichi Posts: 133
    Options
    So, uh, OP...you get a good answer yet? We seem to have devolved into the usual, hehe.

Incidentally, I had another thought. You asked for why someone would be a vegetarian, and my immediate thought was to say why I was a vegetarian. But was that what you were looking for? Or did you mean why should YOU be a vegetarian? Because, honestly, there are plenty of reasons that other people are vegetarians, as you can see. But if you like the taste of meat, don't have any ethical or moral qualms, and don't suffer severe enough health detriments from the amount you eat, then there really is no argument to make you specifically a vegetarian. Perhaps that's why you haven't heard a good argument. None of them apply to you.
  • inagaddadavegan
    inagaddadavegan Posts: 46 Member
    Options

no, a Roomba does not exercise self preservation like a plant does. Or some of the more sophisticated AI that is being developed.

If you're worried about the well-being of plants, the best way to minimize harming plants is to eat them directly, rather than raising crops to feed livestock then eating livestock. You could feed the whole world on the plant foods fed to livestock alone. And then your body will still require plants for the nutrients that meat, eggs, and dairy don't provide. But aside from B-12 (and there is a debate about this but I do supplement), there is nothing you get from eating animals and their secretions that you can't get from plants.

Veganism is the most efficient, least harmful, most environmental way to eat, plain and simple.
    Disagree. You would need more crops available at any given time, as they won't be 'stored' in livestock and thus more land would need to be cleared than is at present.

In laymans terms, you can get more calories and protein in a cow than you can grow where it's standing.

I'm sorry but this is just patently false. Please do some honest research on it.
  • TheFitFireman
    Options

Remember 5 minutes ago when you asked me when you said that you didnt respect someone elses food choices? This statement is not the epitome of respect BUDDY. Have a great weekend!!

I have no respect for that woman, she doesn't deserve any because she doesn't show any for me or others that eat meat. On another forum all her and her husband did was belittle people, on here she called me "arrogant and superior", you expect me to show respect to her when she's disrespectful to me? That again is you being unrealistic.
  • jillebean60
    jillebean60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I went vegetarian when I found myself trying to eat a healthy Mediterranean diet which consists of lentils, beans, lots of fresh vegetables.....you get the idea. That turned into trying to cut calories but still eat enough protein. I now love Quinoa (which is a better source of protein than beef). I do eat fish, dairy, eggs. I'm ***not*** vegan, which is not eating living animal products because they think they're on the same level of the food chain as humans (NOT) and I have no problem with anyone eating meat. I am strictly doing it for health/diet choices and find that I don't miss meat or chicken at all. Hope this helps you understand a bit- at least my reasons for being a vegetarian.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

You are calling ethical vegetarians 'ridiculous'--deserving or inviting derision or mockery. This is arrogant.

Coming from the woman who posts all kinds of butt hurt on every single thread I've seen you on, am I suppose to take offense? I pointed out my intentions and meanings, you choose to ignore them, so where you call me arrogant I'll call you ignorant.
  • TheFitFireman
    Options

I'm gonna go kill some kids. 'Cause they're gonna die anyways. May join in. Never liked the buggers.

I'm a pescetarian because I like animals and I don't believe you can actually like animals whilst trying to eat them and their brethren. I don't like fish, so I eat them.

This made no sense.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Funny you look at it that way. I like animals, and at one point wanted to be a vet and later a marine biologist. I am neither now, but I do keep tropical marine fish. It doesn't stop me nomming some tuna or salmon, but I wouldn't eat a clownfish. Animals that are in abundance I have no problem eating; this applies to livestock as well. I'm perfectly happy eating cow, pig and chicken, but would never try crocodile, shark or chimpanzee meat. I would also never eat my dog or my girlfriend's cat, because they're companions; members of the family and she would probably kill me.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    there is only one thing for certain regarding this issue. no vegan/vegetarian nor any meat eating monster is going to change their ways based on these type discussions. So what's the point?
  • TheFitFireman
    Options
    No, you are a redneck because you think your opinion is the only one that matters....LOL....no, actually I don't know if you are a redneck or not and shouldn't have said that. You are, however, very ignorant IMO. You asked for people's reasons why they don't eat meat. I gave you mine and you told me it wasn't a good enough reason. Who are you to tell me it isn't a good enough reason? That's right, nobody.

As to whether or not I've done anything to protect animal rights, it really isn't any of your damn business. But since you have baited me into this stupid discussion, I will tell you that I'm very involved with animal rescues - especially avian rescues. ( that means bird to you). And I've dealt with, many times, people who don't give a freaking crap about animals...you know, people like you who like to kill for pleasure. Don't get me started on this subject buddy. It's a conversation you don't want to have. Grow up and accept everybody's reasons as being as valid as your reasons.

I like to kill animals for pleasure now? You clearly have something wrong with you, seek help. Who are you calling anyone ignorant when you're saying that I kill deer for some sick pleasure? I've stated several times already that I myself do not like cruelty towards animals, I also stated that I humanely kill deer to FEED MYSELF. Someone you turn preservation into perversion, and I'm the one who needs to grow up? Seriously so pathetic how you have no argument so you twist situations into something they're not, that's something someone would do that needs to grow up. I also never said that I didn't accept people being vegetarian, I said I didn't understand the reasoning for ethical vegetarianism. Again, something you're twisting around because you have no valid argument. It's sad that you have to make things up in order to try and have an argument, I pity you.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

no, a Roomba does not exercise self preservation like a plant does. Or some of the more sophisticated AI that is being developed.

If you're worried about the well-being of plants, the best way to minimize harming plants is to eat them directly, rather than raising crops to feed livestock then eating livestock. You could feed the whole world on the plant foods fed to livestock alone. And then your body will still require plants for the nutrients that meat, eggs, and dairy don't provide. But aside from B-12 (and there is a debate about this but I do supplement), there is nothing you get from eating animals and their secretions that you can't get from plants.

Veganism is the most efficient, least harmful, most environmental way to eat, plain and simple.
    Disagree. You would need more crops available at any given time, as they won't be 'stored' in livestock and thus more land would need to be cleared than is at present.

In laymans terms, you can get more calories and protein in a cow than you can grow where it's standing.

As much as I hate to even post on this trainwreck of a thread, I have to point out that is is completely untrue. How could you think that beef cows somehow create calories out of nothing? You put a lot of calories into them and only a certain proportion goes into making meat, they have to use the rest for other things. Don't have a lot of time right now so I'll have to quote Wikipedia:

"In comparison with grazing, intensive livestock production requires large quantities of harvested feed. The growing of cereals for feed in turn requires substantial areas of land. However, where grain is fed, less feed is required for meat production. This is due not only to the higher concentration of metabolizable energy in grain than in roughages, but also to the higher ratio of net energy of gain to net energy of maintenance where metabolizable energy intake is higher.[1] A pound of beef (live weight) requires about seven pounds of feed, compared to more than three pound for a pound of pork and less than two pounds for a pound of chicken.[2] However, assumptions about feed quality are implicit in such generalizations. For example, production of a pound of beef cattle live weight may require between 4 and 5 pounds of feed high in protein and metabolizable energy content, or more than 20 pounds of feed of much lower quality.[1]"
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options

This made no sense.

How does it not make sense? Just because something is happening and I can't stop it doesn't mean I should join in. Kid killing is a perfect example. Children die all the time all over the world. Apparently because I can't stop children dying, I should help cause their death.
  • Heather_RT
    Heather_RT Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am posting my answers again. Not that anyone will notice. :) People LOVE drama.

I have a few reasons.

First, I'll give you a bit of background: For the majority of my life, until I was 25, I ate anything and everything, and that meant a LOT of McD's, Dairy Queen, Taco Bell, Wendy's, etc. etc., and yes a lot of cheeseburgers. Then, I became vegan, actually, first raw-foodist, then a vegan, and with this diet change, I lost around 40-50 pounds. (I never weighed myself, but I got down to about 115-120 and I can guess now how much I must have lost.) Anyway, suffice it to say: I got very slender. People thought I was perhaps becoming too skinny. I knew I was just shedding the pounds from many years of fast food- and fats-eating.

But after a few years, I started eating dairy - cheese on salads, is how it began. Then one year, I started eating eggs. Then, while on vacation 2 years ago, in Hawaii, I began eating fish. But that is where I will stop.

I don't have what everyone would consider a "logical" reason for this decision, but I do know when I look at my cats (my pets) and my friends' dogs (their pets) and see the same kind of 'being' that I see when I look at a cow, or a chicken, or even a pig (some people's pets) I couldn't eat those mammals. Not unless I was seriously starving, and it was either me - or that animal. Then I may consider it.

Since you asked, here are my 'reasons':

**Reason #1: As I described above, for me, being a mostly-vegetarian is more about having a sensitivity about other living things. Yes, I still eat a little fish, seafood, here and there but I feel like the way seafood is 'caught' is quite different than the way poultry, beef, pork, etc. is 'raised and processed.' (Many of us have seen the very inhumane ways this food is raised.) When I watch a documentary on how cows are slaughtered, for instance, it's very hard for me to think of EVER eating a cow, especially if I don't have to.

**Reason #2: There are so many other sources of protein that I can eat - I really don't NEED to eat the mass-produced, over-grown, mistreated cows, chickens, pigs.

**Sub-Reason #2.2: Humans do not NEED as much meat as they typically consume. The amount of meat and meat by-products that are produced and sold to the public , and which are consumed by the average person in the U.S., is likely way out of proportion to the need. Here is a quote from Livestrong.com

"Typical Protein Requirements: Average men who are sedentary or who get little exercise need approximately 0.36 g of protein for every pound of body weight, according to the University of Arizona. If you're a 200-lb. man who doesn't work out frequently or vigorously, those guidelines mean you should consume about 72 g of protein each day. If you consume one chicken breast and 5 oz. of lean beef in a day, you've eaten enough protein." - Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/425810-how-much-protein-does-the-average-man-need/#ixzz1yZckIhwX

**Reason #3: The total impact 'meat' has on our environment. This is something many do not fully consider. Just think of all the water used, and possibly chemicals, and all the other land-use practices that are applied to grow the feed for the cattle and livestock (all that grain, corn, etc) to provide what is really an OVERABUNDANCE of the meat we eat far too much of. Then think of how much methane all that livestock put into our air, gassing up our planet. It makes a real impact.

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts. :) (Yes, I am a peaceful person, and I am not going to fight with you about what you EAT.)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

As much as I hate to even post on this trainwreck of a thread, I have to point out that is is completely untrue. How could you think that beef cows somehow create calories out of nothing? You put a lot of calories into them and only a certain proportion goes into making meat, they have to use the rest for other things. Don't have a lot of time right now so I'll have to quote Wikipedia:

"In comparison with grazing, intensive livestock production requires large quantities of harvested feed. The growing of cereals for feed in turn requires substantial areas of land. However, where grain is fed, less feed is required for meat production. This is due not only to the higher concentration of metabolizable energy in grain than in roughages, but also to the higher ratio of net energy of gain to net energy of maintenance where metabolizable energy intake is higher.[1] A pound of beef (live weight) requires about seven pounds of feed, compared to more than three pound for a pound of pork and less than two pounds for a pound of chicken.[2] However, assumptions about feed quality are implicit in such generalizations. For example, production of a pound of beef cattle live weight may require between 4 and 5 pounds of feed high in protein and metabolizable energy content, or more than 20 pounds of feed of much lower quality.[1]"
    As much as I appreciate the even-tone of your reply, my point is that you can grow their food where their food was before they eat it. I'm not saying it won't take more to make it into meat, but that any given time, a reliance on crops completely would require more space.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    there is only one thing for certain regarding this issue. no vegan/vegetarian nor any meat eating monster is going to change their ways based on these type discussions. So what's the point?

There isn't a point for this guy. He's just looking for confrontation. I hate I even bothered to give him my reason for not eating meat, because he really didn't want my reason. He just wanted to tell somebody that their beliefs are wrong. Makes him feel better about himself to feel superior. But he really came off as the one who is ridiculous. And I came off as angry and nasty, which I regret. But animal cruelty is a hot button for me. Sorry.
This discussion has been closed.