Vegetarians - why?

Options

Replies

• jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    for the people i have known it comes down to two things either taste or because they dont want to harm animals being a Veterinary Assistant i can understand that...
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Seriously... this horse is dead, you can stop beating it now. Why do people keep posting these stupid topics... they are just trying to stir up trouble.
  • TheFitFireman
    TheFitFireman Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I probably should. Sorry.. I don't advocate either. But he was saying he hunts to survive. I'm saying if you can afford luxuries in life, then you don't have to kill when there is already carcass laying around in any grocery store. Already dead. Just waiting on mr meat eater. Don't have to kill to eat. Just go to to walmart.

I hunt to feed myself, as a college student who pays for all my expenses it's not easy juggling school, clinical hours, and a job all at once. I have to spare every penny I have, so if I can spend $1 for a bullet and a winters worth of food why would I not do so?
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 9 years, and honestly, it really comes down to taste preferences for me. I don't like how meat tastes. I don't like how it smells, and I don't like how it feels (either when I'm eating it or when it's sitting in my stomach). I also get creeped out at the thought of eating muscles when I myself am made of muscles. It's just too close for my liking.

That said, I don't care if other people choose to eat meat; that's totally their preference. If it doesn't bother them, then I don't see it as my business to try and gross them out or convert them. If there ever came a time where I had to eat meat or die, or if my desire to eat a steak overwhelmed my distaste for it, I would do it. I actually have tried meat a few times over the past few years to see if I really wanted to continue being vegetarian, and every time it (the meat in question) was just not for me.

Good god THANK YOU for answering the question. Everyone was assuming he was trying to be a jerk and getting their panties in a wad for nothing. It's nice to know someone out there will answer a question without trying to look for an argument. I honestly wanted to know too, not because I judge, just because I wanted to know what the bigger population of vegetarians were. Either opposed to killing animals or just for taste alone. I've never asked because it's hard to do it without people jumping the gun and turning it around into something negative. You my dear, have earned a smiley face for being genuine :bigsmile: (I picked the green one because it reminded me of plants haha)
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    You pity me? LOL. Thanks...when I was 23, I was out having fun with my friends on Friday night. Not sitting around on MFP, or any other website, discussing the virtues of being a meat eater over being a vegan. LOL. Don't pity me. I have a life. ( Was that nasty of me??) As to needing help, I have needed counseling to deal with the horrific things I've seen in rescue. It does change you. I hope you never have to see what I've seen. But then, I'm very sure I will never have to worry about that. You seem too immature to worry about helping anybody or anything but yourself.

Anyway, you asked why I didn't eat meat. I told you. Then you said it was a ridiculous reason. Wouldn't you be irked if someone asked you why you DO eat meat, you answer, and then thet tell you it was a stupid reason? as I stated earlier, it's a hot button for me. So press it, and I unleash. Sorry about that kiddo.

If you have a PC, and you can afford the Internet and a ell phone, then you can go to the store a buy meat. You don't have to hunt and kill it for food. I don't want to hear that crap. And unless you kill it with a bow and arrow, I know what a box buck shot cost these days. Go buy some groud beef. It's cheaper. And spare me your preservation crap.

It's 9pm, clubs aren't even open yet so what exactly should I be doing? Please do tell me all the fun things you did every single weekend of your life.

Have you failed to read my username? TheFitFireman, I'm pretty sure I've seen a lot worse than you have. I also chose to go into this profession to help people and help my community, but I guess because I'm an omnivore and you got butthurt from what I said I must be an a**hole right? Talk to me about maturity when you don't have to put words into peoples mouths and completely fabricate things in order to try and have an argument, otherwise you've proven everything but maturity in this discussion. It's hilarious also how you claim to know who I am and what I'm like based off an internet forum, could you be anymore judgmental of a person? Just because I said it was "ridiculous" which admittedly was immature of me, that doesn't mean you have to respond with belittlement and trying to tell me who I am, you can approach me without be hostile. So I apologize for saying your reasoning was "ridiculous", I didn't mean it in a harsh manner but I obviously didn't think of how rude it sounded as well, so that's my fault. I kill deer with a hunting rifle, a 30-06 to be specific, one round cost me $1, so no, going to the store and buying the meat would not be cheaper. Plus I've never seen venison in the grocery store and I enjoy the flavor. Deer are overpopulated as well and if I don't kill in my area then it will run into the road and get hit, and then it will die a painful death. I'd rather spare them of that...

I didn't have to hit the clubs to have fun. Anyway, I have serious doubts that you have seen a thing in your life that would shock me. And that you for putting a bullet between the eyes of Bambi so you can spare him pain. Wish everybody could be so humane.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    are people really judging someone on how they spend their Friday nights? lol that is sad.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Red meat makes me sick as a dog and is absolutely LOADED with fat.

Loaded in fat compared to what?

Compared to beans, tofu, veggies, fish, chicken, pasta, turkey etc....I just feel like red meat (steak, prime rib, hamburger, pork) is pretty much all fat. I am not sure about the percentages but all I know is that is quite high in fat and I think that is what makes me so sick. Most of the things I eat are very low fat. I will say I have absolutely nothing against people eating red meat I just don't like it. My Dad has lost 100 pounds on the Atkins diet but I just try and stick to low fat
  • Nailrep
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 9 years, and honestly, it really comes down to taste preferences for me. I don't like how meat tastes. I don't like how it smells, and I don't like how it feels (either when I'm eating it or when it's sitting in my stomach). I also get creeped out at the thought of eating muscles when I myself am made of muscles. It's just too close for my liking.

That said, I don't care if other people choose to eat meat; that's totally their preference. If it doesn't bother them, then I don't see it as my business to try and gross them out or convert them. If there ever came a time where I had to eat meat or die, or if my desire to eat a steak overwhelmed my distaste for it, I would do it. I actually have tried meat a few times over the past few years to see if I really wanted to continue being vegetarian, and every time it (the meat in question) was just not for me.

Good god THANK YOU for answering the question. Everyone was assuming he was trying to be a jerk and getting their panties in a wad for nothing. It's nice to know someone out there will answer a question without trying to look for an argument. I honestly wanted to know too, not because I judge, just because I wanted to know what the bigger population of vegetarians were. Either opposed to killing animals or just for taste alone. I've never asked because it's hard to do it without people jumping the gun and turning it around into something negative. You my dear, have earned a smiley face for being genuine :bigsmile: (I picked the green one because it reminded me of plants haha)

I didn't assume he was being a jerk. I answered his question. Then he told me I was ridiculous, so I got irked. I said what I said. He did the same.
  • inagaddadavegan
    inagaddadavegan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You have an erroneous opinion that is not founded in fact. I respect it's your opinion but it's still... factually wrong.
    I would say the jury is out until someone (very well paid, and very, very clever) does the maths.

I can do the maths for free because it's not very hard. It takes something like 15 pounds of plant protein to produce 1 pound of animal protein (from a cow). Very very inefficient way to feed a world with about a billion humans starving to death.

Court adjourned. ;)
    And again, you royally miss the point.

I think jsl_mfp understands what I mean.

I'm talking about food availability at THAT MOMENT in time. Vegetables per mass are far lower calorie than meat, generally speaking, no? Thus having the same amount of calories available to your population at that one moment in time would use more land, theoretically. As I said, the maths would need to be done.

And for the record, I simply can't choke down enough plant matter to meet my (above average) protein and calorie needs - meat provides them in a more condensed, easier to swallow form, for ME.

I'm a practical person. If vegetarianism was practical for me, I would be vegetarian.

I do get your meaning but you're incorrect. And I am a mathematician, so let me try to explain this.

Say we want a cow to eat for protein. We'd need 15 fields of plant proteins for EACH AND EVERY POUND of protein we'll get from a cow. We are talking protein for protein now, not calories. If you want to go there, then calorie for calorie, broccoli has more than twice the protein of a steak. Maybe we should be growing 2 or 3 fields of broccoli for *people* to eat, instead of 15 fields of grains for *cows* to eat.

But I think your real gripe is that you prefer to eat cows, which I totally understand and accept. Just don't sit there and tell me that cows are some kind of efficient way to get your protein. They're about the most inefficient way to get your protein. Accept the truth about your choice instead of using nonsense to try to justify it.
  • Nailrep
    Options
    are people really judging someone on how they spend their Friday nights? lol that is sad.

You are very right. I apologize. It was wrong of me to sink that low in my pissed off state.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Yeah, me too. And I'm thankful they respect their elders.

I give respect when it's given back, you've been nothing but disrespectful so don't expect me to treat you any differently because you're older than me. You don't just earn respect on the internet, I'm sorry that you feel like you do.

You are the one using profanity and rudeness to get your point across. You also have some baffling ideas about women. For instance, you somehow think my husband's statements here are mine. By the way, where I come from addressing someone who is 35 years older than you as 'woman' is rude.

Calling someone "arrogant and superior" is rude as well, yet you expect me to bow to you after you call me that. I also never stated that your husbands statements were yours, I did though point out how hilarious it is of you to try and call me all these things yet you have a husband who was up from 3am till 11am arguing with people and putting them down. I wonder if you let your husband know how sad of a "man" he is for staying up all night to belittle people...

And a quote from you earlier in this thread: "You clearly share the same elitist views if you chose to marry someone who speaks to people like he does... " If you have a problem with him, deal with him.
  • TheFitFireman
    Options
    I didn't have to hit the clubs to have fun. Anyway, I have serious doubts that you have seen a thing in your life that would shock me. And that you for putting a bullet between the eyes of Bambi so you can spare him pain. Wish everybody could be so humane.

I never said you had to hit the clubs to have fun, but where I live there's not much to do. It's either go to a bar and get drunk, and I don't drink so that's obviously not my thing, or go to a club and meet some nice ladies to dance with. Clubs don't open till 11 and like I said I don't drink so therefore I don't need to "pre-party". I shouldn't have to explain myself but I'll do it anyways since you feel like this is how I spend my weekends.

Unless you've seen suicides in person, gun shots in person, stab wounds in person, murdered victims in person, I doubt you've seen anything remotely compared to what I've seen. I don't mean that in a bragging manner in anyway either, just think it's a bit odd that you compare animal cruelty on film to human victims of trauma...
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

I'm talking about food availability at THAT MOMENT in time. Vegetables per mass are far lower calorie than meat, generally speaking, no? Thus having the same amount of calories available to your population at that one moment in time would use more land, theoretically. As I said, the maths would need to be done.

And for the record, I simply can't choke down enough plant matter to meet my (above average) protein and calorie needs - meat provides them in a more condensed, easier to swallow form, for ME.

I'm a practical person. If vegetarianism was practical for me, I would be vegetarian.

I do get your meaning but you're incorrect. And I am a mathematician, so let me try to explain this.

Say we want a cow to eat for protein. We'd need 15 fields of plant proteins for EACH AND EVERY POUND of protein we'll get from a cow. We are talking protein for protein now, not calories. If you want to go there, then calorie for calorie, broccoli has more than twice the protein of a steak. Maybe we should be growing 2 or 3 fields of broccoli for *people* to eat, instead of 15 fields of grains for *cows* to eat.

But I think your real gripe is that you prefer to eat cows, which I totally understand and accept. Just don't sit there and tell me that cows are some kind of efficient way to get your protein. They're about the most inefficient way to get your protein. Accept the truth about your choice instead of using nonsense to try to justify it.
    Okay, you don't get my point. That much is clear. The hostility is unnecessary by the way.
  • TheFitFireman
    Options
    And a quote from you earlier in this thread: "You clearly share the same elitist views if you chose to marry someone who speaks to people like he does... " If you have a problem with him, deal with him.

I said you have the same elitist views, which you've proven, so how does that mean that mean that your husbands statements were yours?
  • _VoV
    Options

I said you have the same elitist views, which you've proven, so how does that mean that mean that your husbands statements were yours?

Really, where did I say I was better than anyone else? I make *I* statements, which means when I talk about the reasons I am vegetarian, they are about me and no one else.
  • TheFitFireman
    Options
    Red meat makes me sick as a dog and is absolutely LOADED with fat.

Loaded in fat compared to what?

Compared to beans, tofu, veggies, fish, chicken, pasta, turkey etc....I just feel like red meat (steak, prime rib, hamburger, pork) is pretty much all fat. I am not sure about the percentages but all I know is that is quite high in fat and I think that is what makes me so sick. Most of the things I eat are very low fat. I will say I have absolutely nothing against people eating red meat I just don't like it. My Dad has lost 100 pounds on the Atkins diet but I just try and stick to low fat

Do you enjoy avocados? One medium sized avocado has 22 grams of fat, that's a lot more than 6 ounces of lean beef.

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/healthnutrition/qt/avocadocalories.htm

Besides, fat isn't a bad thing! That's awesome the success your dad has had, good job to him for making that happen, I sincerely mean that.
  • coylelaura
    coylelaura Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The five main reasons I do not eat meat:

#1: I have never liked the taste of most meats.

#2: As a health care professional, I know that meat consumption causes many preventable illnesses and diseases.

#3: I am opposed to the methods used to raise and slaughter most animals.

#4: The factory farming methods used in the meat industry are grossly detrimental to our environment.

#5: The resources used by the meat industry would be better utilized by growing fruits, grains, vegetables, etc which would benefit people by driving down the cost of healthy food and making healthy food more readily available to all people regardless of income.

I believe that eliminating meat from my diet reduces my risk of contracting preventable meat-related illnesses and diseases, reduces damage to our environment, reduces cruelty to animals, and contributes to lessening the demand for meat products which allows for better utilization of land for more responsible farming. I do not proselytize about vegetarianism. If someone asks me why I choose not to eat meat I am happy to explain my choice to them so that they may consider my perspective and possibly make more informed choices themselves.
  • TheFitFireman
    Options

Really, where did I say I was better than anyone else? I make *I* statements, which means when I talk about the reasons I am vegetarian, they are about me and no one else.

You don't have to directly say it for it to be your intention, belittling every omni/carnivore you come across on here you have nothing nice to say. You clearly think you're better than them and myself if you feel the need to post childish remarks about someone who hasn't said a single about you. In the very beginning on the other thread I never said anything, but you chose to attack me and go on a bash fest with your husband. Which might I add that that's adorable that y'all internet troll together, quite funny too.
  • _VoV
    Options
    The five main reasons I do not eat meat:

#1: I have never liked the taste of most meats.

#2: As a health care professional, I know that meat consumption causes many preventable illnesses and diseases.

#3: I am opposed to the methods used to raise and slaughter most animals.

#4: The factory farming methods used in the meat industry are grossly detrimental to our environment.

#5: The resources used by the meat industry would be better utilized by growing fruits, grains, vegetables, etc which would benefit people by driving down the cost of healthy food and making healthy food more readily available to all people regardless of income.

I believe that eliminating meat from my diet reduces my risk of contracting preventable meat-related illnesses and diseases, reduces damage to our environment, reduces cruelty to animals, and contributes to lessening the demand for meat products which allows for better utilization of land for more responsible farming. I do not proselytize about vegetarianism. If someone asks me why I choose not to eat meat I am happy to explain my choice to them so that they may consider my perspective and possibly make more informed choices themselves.

Thanks. Excellent explanation!
  • inagaddadavegan
    inagaddadavegan Posts: 46 Member
    Options

Okay, you don't get my point. That much is clear. The hostility is unnecessary by the way.

I'm sorry if I'm coming across as hostile, I'm just trying to give you some information. Initially I was only pointing out that if we want to minimize plant suffering, then we should eat plants directly instead of feeding them to animals first. I'm not saying any of this to be hostile. If you're going to jump in and start talking about how efficient it is to eat cows, I really feel obligated to send some facts your way.
This discussion has been closed.