Vegetarians - why?

Options
1131415161719»

Replies

• Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I didn't have to hit the clubs to have fun. Anyway, I have serious doubts that you have seen a thing in your life that would shock me. And that you for putting a bullet between the eyes of Bambi so you can spare him pain. Wish everybody could be so humane.

I never said you had to hit the clubs to have fun, but where I live there's not much to do. It's either go to a bar and get drunk, and I don't drink so that's obviously not my thing, or go to a club and meet some nice ladies to dance with. Clubs don't open till 11 and like I said I don't drink so therefore I don't need to "pre-party". I shouldn't have to explain myself but I'll do it anyways since you feel like this is how I spend my weekends.

Unless you've seen suicides in person, gun shots in person, stab wounds in person, murdered victims in person, I doubt you've seen anything remotely compared to what I've seen. I don't mean that in a bragging manner in anyway either, just think it's a bit odd that you compare animal cruelty on film to human victims of trauma...
    [/quote

Cruelty on film? I guess you haven't read my posts. So I ask, and NOT in a smart *kitten* way, if you have seen all these things, WHY would you contribute to killing any living thing? Even if you don't understand that question, I know if you think about it, you would kind of understand my not eating meat because of animal cruelty. Death is death, animal or human. That's the way I see it. You may not agree, but I bet you understand.

I do want to apologize for the personal digs. It was uncalled for.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    And a quote from you earlier in this thread: "You clearly share the same elitist views if you chose to marry someone who speaks to people like he does... " If you have a problem with him, deal with him.

I said you have the same elitist views, which you've proven, so how does that mean that mean that your husbands statements were yours?

Really, where did I say I was better than anyone else? I make *I* statements, which means when I talk about the reasons I am vegetarian, they are about me and no one else.

You don't have to directly say it for it to be your intention, belittling every omni/carnivore you come across on here you have nothing nice to say. You clearly think you're better than them and myself if you feel the need to post childish remarks about someone who hasn't said a single about you. In the very beginning on the other thread I never said anything, but you chose to attack me and go on a bash fest with your husband. Which might I add that that's adorable that y'all internet troll together, quite funny too.

WOW! Just wow! So, you think I feel 'superior' based on what I said on a discussion thread where I was presenting my point of view without profanity, gifs or other provocative ways. Where I was mostly talking about whether plants feel pain? Amazing!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if I'm coming across as hostile, I'm just trying to give you some information. Initially I was only pointing out that if we want to minimize plant suffering, then we should eat plants directly instead of feeding them to animals first. I'm not saying any of this to be hostile. If you're going to jump in and start talking about how efficient it is to eat cows, I really feel obligated to send some facts your way.
    My point isn't that cows are more efficient, but that you can effectively store food over time in them so you don't need 15 fields at a time, you know? As you don't feed cow once in it's life and then forget about it. I've acknowledged prior that the conversion process is inefficient. The maths would be incredibly complicated, factoring in things like pesticide use and fertilizing the crops. If at some point the maths was all done and published, and proved your point correct I will happily concede it.

Anyway, for me, I simply don't enjoy vegetables enough to meet my protein and calorie needs from them - the quantity I would have to consume is much higher, and on researching the cost of protein per £, I found no comparable plants sources readily available in UK supermarkets.
  • TheFitFireman
    TheFitFireman Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Cruelty on film? I guess you haven't read my posts. So I ask, and NOT in a smart *kitten* way, if you have seen all these things, WHY would you contribute to killing any living thing? Even if you don't understand that question, I know if you think about it, you would kind of understand my not eating meat because of animal cruelty. Death is death, animal or human. That's the way I see it. You may not agree, but I bet you understand.

I guess I might've missed your posts, but what have you seen in person that's very shocking and comparable? I don't mean that rude or sarcastically either by the way.

I have seen those things truthfully, I'd be lying if I said that it hasn't gotten to me before. But I don't associate animals and humans in the same manner. I can understand though where you're coming from, I do understand that for some people human and animals are comparable in death, I can honestly respect that as well. But for me personally having grown up in an agricultural setting all I've ever know was "meat and potatoes" type dinners and hunting for food. If I grew up in a vegan household there's a good chance that I would look at animals in the same light as you do. I personally hate animal cruelty myself and feel sickened to the thought of it, that's why when I hunt I do it in the most humane way possible to where the animal dies instantly, there's no pain involved. I'm not barbaric because I eat meat, I don't get any kind of sickening pleasure from hunting and I definitely don't have any judgmental feelings towards people who choose not to eat meat. We all have our reasons for what do and don't do, I can respect everyone's choice.

I apologize as well for my immaturity, that's not like me to act that way. I guess sometimes the internet can make people act in a different manner than usual.
  • TheFitFireman
    Options
    WOW! Just wow! So, you think I feel 'superior' based on what I said on a discussion thread where I was presenting my point of view without profanity, gifs or other provocative ways. Where I was mostly talking about whether plants feel pain? Amazing!

I think you feel like you're superior because you belittle people and go on attack sessions with your husband on internet forums. There's a difference from presenting your point of view and from attacking people, just because you started off stating your opinions does not mean that you stayed there the whole conversation. What exactly does profanity and gifs have to do with anything? If they make a point then there should be nothing wrong with them...
  • inagaddadavegan
    inagaddadavegan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if I'm coming across as hostile, I'm just trying to give you some information. Initially I was only pointing out that if we want to minimize plant suffering, then we should eat plants directly instead of feeding them to animals first. I'm not saying any of this to be hostile. If you're going to jump in and start talking about how efficient it is to eat cows, I really feel obligated to send some facts your way.
    My point isn't that cows are more efficient, but that you can effectively store food over time in them so you don't need 15 fields at a time, you know? As you don't feed cow once in it's life and then forget about it. I've acknowledged prior that the conversion process is inefficient. The maths would be incredibly complicated, factoring in things like pesticide use and fertilizing the crops. If at some point the maths was all done and published, and proved your point correct I will happily concede it.

Anyway, for me, I simply don't enjoy vegetables enough to meet my protein and calorie needs from them - the quantity I would have to consume is much higher, and on researching the cost of protein per £, I found no comparable plants sources readily available in UK supermarkets.

I think you can do some research yourself and find the math you're looking for if you want to. And unless you do, we could go round and round until it's all dizzy and confused so I'll leave it at that ;)

I understand not enjoying vegetables, because I didn't used to either -- mainstream culture does terrible things to vegetables. They boil them into snot, fail to season them properly, and force children to eat them that way. Rude. My brother hated brussels sprouts his whole life until the day he had some at my house... now it's his favorite veggie. So, just sayin. A salad to a vegan is usually a lot different than what an omni thinks of... and to those tofu haters, yep I used to hate it too until I learned what to do with it ;)
  • Nailrep
    Options

I guess I might've missed your posts, but what have you seen in person that's very shocking and comparable? I don't mean that rude or sarcastically either by the way.

I have seen those things truthfully, I'd be lying if I said that it hasn't gotten to me before. But I don't associate animals and humans in the same manner. I can understand though where you're coming from, I do understand that for some people human and animals are comparable in death, I can honestly respect that as well. But for me personally having grown up in an agricultural setting all I've ever know was "meat and potatoes" type dinners and hunting for food. If I grew up in a vegan household there's a good chance that I would look at animals in the same light as you do. I personally hate animal cruelty myself and feel sickened to the thought of it, that's why when I hunt I do it in the most humane way possible to where the animal dies instantly, there's no pain involved. I'm not barbaric because I eat meat, I don't get any kind of sickening pleasure from hunting and I definitely don't have any judgmental feelings towards people who choose not to eat meat. We all have our reasons for what do and don't do, I can respect everyone's choice.

I apologize as well for my immaturity, that's not like me to act that way. I guess sometimes the internet can make people act in a different manner than usual.

Sorry. I'm a ***** about these things, Internet or no Internet. LOL. Anyway, I am ok with u eating meat if u are okay with my reasons why I don't....and I hope we can move on. For the record, I probably SHOULD seek help for my issues....LO! Thanks for the debate!
  • TheFitFireman
    Options
    Sorry. I'm a ***** about these things, Internet or no Internet. LOL. Anyway, I am ok with u eating meat if u are okay with my reasons why I don't....and I hope we can move on. For the record, I probably SHOULD seek help for my issues....LO! Thanks for the debate!

Glad we can agree to disagree. Have a good night and good luck with your fitness goals!
  • Nailrep
    Options

Glad we can agree to disagree. Have a good night and good luck with your fitness goals!

Ditto!
  • ccj424
    ccj424 Posts: 30
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't eat a lot of meat. The only meat that I eat the most of is fish. Why? because when I eat other meats, they feel heavy on my stomach, thus making me feel sick and uncomfortable. Fish is light, so I eat it. I tried to be a vegetarian in college, before I developed a taste for fish other than tuna, but my nutritionist said that it wouldn't be good for me (just me) because I'm too picky when it comes to food. If I were a vegetarian in college, I wouldn't eat anything. I don't like beans and imitation meats. Nowadays, I'll eat a meat side dish at school for lunch, but it usually doesn't get finished if its beef or chicken. Pork okay sometimes. I feel like my tastes for foods change every two weeks. That's just my reason, which probably became unrelated.
  • _VoV
    Options

I think you feel like you're superior because you belittle people and go on attack sessions with your husband on internet forums. There's a difference from presenting your point of view and from attacking people, just because you started off stating your opinions does not mean that you stayed there the whole conversation. What exactly does profanity and gifs have to do with anything? If they make a point then there should be nothing wrong with them...

That's your opinion. I disagree.
  • TheFitFireman
    Options

Disagreeing honestly means nothing when it's proven all over the forums on this website. I'm merely stating the truth and what is visibly provable. I'm not exactly sure how it's an opinion that you and your husband attacked people, go on the omnivore thread, that thread got closed because of the both of you... Funny too because I posted that I was going to the gym and the both of you even decided to continue bashing me after I had already left, now that's pretty sad attacking someone that cannot defend themselves.

I'm sorry that you choose to ignore the truth.
  • _VoV
    Options

Disagreeing honestly means nothing when it's proven all over the forums on this website. I'm merely stating the truth and what is visibly provable. I'm not exactly sure how it's an opinion that you and your husband attacked people, go on the omnivore thread, that thread got closed because of the both of you... Funny too because I posted that I was going to the gym and the both of you even decided to continue bashing me after I had already left, now that's pretty sad attacking someone that cannot defend themselves.

That thread is gone, and I can't see what you are talking about. I don't recall talking about you when you were gone. If I offended you, I am sorry.

And, as for the crude gifs and language, this is likely a generational thing. I just dislike it.
  • TheFitFireman
    Options
    That thread is gone, and I can't see what you are talking about. I don't recall talking about you when you were gone. If I offended you, I am sorry.

And, as for the crude gifs and language, this is likely a generational thing. I just dislike it.

Well I do recall when I came home and looked that the thread had been locked and your husband and you took the opportunity to takes some shots at me. I wasn't necessarily offended, just kind of surprised to be honest. As far as gifs and the language thing goes, it is a generational thing.

I'm done arguing with you, I apologize for being crude and offensive towards you. I have no harsh feelings, just wish that you would understand that I respect your vegetarianism and would wish the same respect from you. that's all.

Good night to you and good luck with your fitness and health goals as well.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    No, you are a redneck because you think your opinion is the only one that matters....LOL....no, actually I don't know if you are a redneck or not and shouldn't have said that. You are, however, very ignorant IMO. You asked for people's reasons why they don't eat meat. I gave you mine and you told me it wasn't a good enough reason. Who are you to tell me it isn't a good enough reason? That's right, nobody.

As to whether or not I've done anything to protect animal rights, it really isn't any of your damn business. But since you have baited me into this stupid discussion, I will tell you that I'm very involved with animal rescues - especially avian rescues. ( that means bird to you). And I've dealt with, many times, people who don't give a freaking crap about animals...you know, people like you who like to kill for pleasure. Don't get me started on this subject buddy. It's a conversation you don't want to have. Grow up and accept everybody's reasons as being as valid as your reasons.

I like to kill animals for pleasure now? You clearly have something wrong with you, seek help. Who are you calling anyone ignorant when you're saying that I kill deer for some sick pleasure? I've stated several times already that I myself do not like cruelty towards animals, I also stated that I humanely kill deer to FEED MYSELF. Someone you turn preservation into perversion, and I'm the one who needs to grow up? Seriously so pathetic how you have no argument so you twist situations into something they're not, that's something someone would do that needs to grow up. I also never said that I didn't accept people being vegetarian, I said I didn't understand the reasoning for ethical vegetarianism. Again, something you're twisting around because you have no valid argument. It's sad that you have to make things up in order to try and have an argument, I pity you.

Not to be mean,...but in a lot of people eyes that is for pleasure. For the pleasure of that specific taste when there is already a lot of food you could get at a store without killing an animal....so that is not for survival. If you were alone on a deserted island or totally had no money at all and had a gun I could see it. lol Sorry that's just my personal perception of it.
  • chksarma
    chksarma Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I donno abt other veggies, but the reasons why I am a veggie are

1. I was raised like that
    2. I LOVE the food I eat, I HATE animals like goat hen fish and etc so I donot eat them!! If I like any of those, I may eat!! I also hate mushrooms and I donot eat those, though they come under veg!!
  • _VoV
    Options

Well I do recall when I came home and looked that the thread had been locked and your husband and you took the opportunity to takes some shots at me. I wasn't necessarily offended, just kind of surprised to be honest. As far as gifs and language it is a generational things.

I'm done arguing with you, I apologize for being crude and offensive towards you. I have no harsh feelings, just wish that you would understand that I respect your vegetarianism and would wish the same respect from you. that's all.

Good night to you and good luck with your fitness and health goals as well.

Good night and best wishes on your fitness goals too.
  • TheFitFireman
    Options
    Not to be mean,...but in a lot of people eyes that is for pleasure. For the pleasure of that specific taste when there is already a lot of food you could get at a store without killing an animal....so that is not for survival. If you were alone on a deserted island or totally had no money at all and had a gun I could see it. lol Sorry that's just my personal perception of it.

That's making wild assumptions that it's for pleasure. I've already gone over this numerous time why I hunt, you should go back and read them. I'm a college student with tons of expenses with little money, it cost me $1 for a bullet that will provide enough meat for an entire winter. So why spend a lot of money for meat when I can get it for cheap by hunting? I don't have the time to work extra hours to be able to afford the amount of meat it would take to equal the same amount of meat I get from 1 deer. So I don't mean to be rude, but your perception of why I hunt is completely ignorant and if anything offensive.
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    The five main reasons I do not eat meat:

#1: I have never liked the taste of most meats.

#2: As a health care professional, I know that meat consumption causes many preventable illnesses and diseases.

#3: I am opposed to the methods used to raise and slaughter most animals.

#4: The factory farming methods used in the meat industry are grossly detrimental to our environment.

#5: The resources used by the meat industry would be better utilized by growing fruits, grains, vegetables, etc which would benefit people by driving down the cost of healthy food and making healthy food more readily available to all people regardless of income.

I believe that eliminating meat from my diet reduces my risk of contracting preventable meat-related illnesses and diseases, reduces damage to our environment, reduces cruelty to animals, and contributes to lessening the demand for meat products which allows for better utilization of land for more responsible farming. I do not proselytize about vegetarianism. If someone asks me why I choose not to eat meat I am happy to explain my choice to them so that they may consider my perspective and possibly make more informed choices themselves.

I would probably choose to be a vegetarian as well, if I believed these reasons to be true (other than #1 & 3#, which are of course personal opinion). Thanks for sharing your beliefs, it's always interesting to read why people choose to eat what they do.

I'll be honest though, it always bothers me when people feel the need to mention that they are "health care professionals" when discussing nutrition (and then follow it up with an incorrect statement like #2). I work in I.T., but that doesn't make me an expert on microprocessors; but if I start my statement with "as someone who works in I.T.", I'm more likely to persuade people to believe me on technical comments (even if I'm spreading incorrect information).
This discussion has been closed.