Carnivores – why?

Options

Replies

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am probably going to offend some, but it’s not my intention.

However, I just don't get it. There has never been a good argument presented to me why someone would want to eat a dead animal. I figure because whenever I ask “why”, the silly carnivores almost always get offended.

So why?

And please remove all of the “I like my meat rare” answers. That stuff is just nasty.

Because it tastes delicious.

End of story.
  • slick8086
    slick8086 Posts: 6
    Options
    >There has never been a good argument presented to me why someone would want to eat a dead animal.

Because live animals wiggle too much?

On the other hand there has never been a good argument presented to me why someone would NOT want to eat a dead animal.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Because it's delicious and a great source of protein? Are you implying I need another reason? :noway:
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

EVERY LIVING THING, except algae and some other one-celled critters, has to eat something else that either IS or WAS alive in order to survive. How dare anyone rip a perfectly healthy branch off of a living, breathing plant, after all!

In my Religion class, we learned about this religion called Jainism, where the believers did not want to kill any living being, so they would not eat meat, and they would limit their consumption of plants. When they drank water, they would filter it to make sure the microorganisms that live in it don't die. They never showered so they didn't harm either the microorganisms in the water or on their skin. Eventually, they would stop eating and drinking all together and let themselves die. Random fact for the day
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    as a dedicated omnivores, i eat that was because it is what I grew up with and enjoy the taste of a wide variety of foods. as with all thing moderation is the key.

last night at a BBQ i had grilled zucchini, which was fantastic. But I also had some tri-tip which was just freaking tasty.

questions like this are as useful/silly as why people like coffee/the color blue/tattoos/camping. all fun, but people get way to testy about over really lame disagreements.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    You have your opinion and tastes...

And those of us who happen to enjoy eating meat have our opinions and tastes.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Lol those would be some really sloppy seconds

You know it tastes good when you get it all over your fingers.
  • BROscience_PHD
    BROscience_PHD Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Because everything you use is made from dead animal, soap, jello, and a lot of other things you can resarch on your own, plus its so damn tasty,
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of food? hmmm?

and again technically that makes you food too doesn't it? Hmmmm? You can jump on that spit as well, I am sure you would be just delish with some BBQ sauce and Malt Vinegar, topped with some coleslaw on a healthy whole wheat bun.

I don't think anyone's arguing that point, humans are technically a food source, to other predators and in some cultures even to other humans (although AFAIK, only after death). And probably a lot more ancient cultures. But in modern ages and as a species-wide survival tactic (given enough other food sources) the majority of us CHOOSE to not eat each other. That may change with the zombie apocalypse. But then the question remains, are zombies human?
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I have yet to meet a human being that's a carnivore.

yep, humans are ominvores

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_humans_omnivores_or_herbivores

and reason why i eat meat? YUMMMMY!!!
  • rmsturdy
    rmsturdy Posts: 73
    Options
    As somone that LOVES vegetables and fruits, I don't think I could ever be a vegetarian! I always go back for seconds and thirds on those, but I also like the taste of meat. I just crave meat sometimes. It's delicious. But after about 3 ounces, I'm usually done with it. It could be the best 6 oz filet mignon and about half way or a little more, I usually offer up what's left over to my fiance and go back to my veggies. I just figure it's because humans are designed to be savangers and omnivores and we need the iron and protien to help build our bodies.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Well you can't eat a live animal silly.....or CAN YOU? :indifferent:
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I don't think there is such a person as a carnivore. Most people are OMNIVORES. They eat meat and plants.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Some people like to eat meat, just like I prefer to eat bathroom garbage and bloody boogers.
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    For those of you that hunt, I commend you. I think that if someone wants to eat meat, they SHOULD kill it themselves. That is natural. Factory farming isn't. And the other person that said that cavemen didn't even eat vegetables and fruits, pretty sure you are wrong because plants did exist back then. Even native american indians had men hunting and women gathering plant based foods. I see nothing wrong with hunting, as long as the whole animal is being used and not wasted. If you kill a deer, you better eat ALL of the venison. You better do something constructive with the hide and the antlers.

As a vegetarian, I WISH people hunted instead of buying factory farmed food.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    she looks like she is missing an arm, so it's a little slim pickins there lol

Let's hope that means she likes being eaten.
  • MissFonda
    MissFonda Posts: 1
    Options
    It's part of Nature...Humans are mammals and just like other mammals they eat animals. It's as simple as that...no one says anything about lions eating zebras or cats eating mice/fish so why bother humans for doing the same. #MyPersonalOpinion
  • AdenaJ
    AdenaJ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have yet to meet a human being that's a carnivore.
    :laugh:
  • jenn_may
    jenn_may Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    WHY DO I HAVE TO DEFEND MY LIFE CHOICES TO YOU!?! WE SHOULD ALL JUST KEEP TO OURSELVES AND NOT TRY TO UNDERSTAND OTHER PEOPLE'S POINT OF VIEW!

This made me laugh pretty hard.

I am not here to defend meat though.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Where I come from, we have yearly rituals to kill animals and eat them.

I used the knife on an animals throat around the age of 11. I have been cutting animals into smaller pieces helping my brothers and father since like 7.

I don't judge vegeterians. Vegeterians in Asia (The original vegeterians) don't judge me. They know that everybody is different and they respect them for it.

As to why would anyone enjoy eating meat? Why would anyone enjoy eating plants? Plants are living organisms too. Just because they don't have cute faces and eyes don't mean they're not living creatures

Apparently Dr. Suzuki tried to prove that flowers scream in pain when they're cut.

How do we know plants don't have feelings? They grow. They live. They give off energy... Just because they don't move, bark or look adorable doesn't mean they aren't somewhat sentient.