Overnight Oats...why didn't I do this sooner?!

Options

Replies

• milli51
    milli51 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    will try tonight! sound wonderful
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I had no idea what this was, had to google it. For those who don't know, either, here's some links:

http://www.katheats.com/favorite-foods/overnightoats

http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/345

cool
  • pattynava
    pattynava Posts: 331
    Options
    bump
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    bump...not a fond lover of oatmeal, but willing to try something new! :-)
  • leenie96
    leenie96 Posts: 65
    Options
    bump
  • kornmaiden
    kornmaiden Posts: 109
    Options
    My newest overnight oats is to use Bob's redmill muesli - I dont even do it overnight, just let it soak in milk or yogurt for about 10 mins with strawberries or banana. I like that you are getting some seeds in there as well. I only use 1/4 cup of the muesli.
  • jbro456
    jbro456 Posts: 15
    Options
    bump
  • jbro456
    jbro456 Posts: 15
    Options
    This (and maybe the buffalo style crockpot chicken) has to be the best find here on MFP. For those who haven't tried it yet, or are a little skeptical about cold "uncooked" oatmeal, I urge you to give it a try. Depending on your calorie needs for the day,you can edit the recipe to make 250 - 500 calories of pure healthy refreshing deliciousness that will keep you satisfied for a long time.

I make the basic recipe adapted for triple chocolate, banana and peanut butter oats, coming in just under 410 calories and it is so good I think about making it for maybe two meals a day.

Ingreds added to mason jar in this order:

1/3 cup chocolate almond milk (40 cals)
    1/4 cup old fashioned uncooked oats (75 cals)
    1/4 fat free fage plain greek yogurt (33 cals)
    1 T unsweetened cocoa (10 cals)
    2 tsp chia seeds (40 cals)
    2 tsp honey (30 cals)
    6 T chocolate PB2 (135 cals - because I like PB2)

Shake, then add:

1/2 banana, sliced, then stirred in (45 cals)

Chill overnight, and seriously consider setting your alarm earlier than normal to enjoy earlier than normal.

bump
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Just whipped one up tonight for tomorrow morning, i cant wait to eat it. I love me some overnight oats :)

I have a secret ingredient that makes mine really good- those pouches of pureed fruit you find in the babyfood aisle :) theyre usually around 100 cals, so sometimes i just add half, depending what else im putting in it... But it adds so much more flavor and sweetness. Just get the good organic ones that are just pureed fruit and maybe natural flavors.

Here's the one i made tonight:

1/2 c oats 150 cals
    1/2 c yogurt 100 cals
    1/2 c Silk vanilla coconut milk 45 cals
    1 packet bananas n blueberries pureed fruit packet 100 cals
    2 tsp chia seeds 40 cals
    2 tsp coconut sugar 30 cals
    1/2 c fresh frozen blueberries 30 cals

505 calories total. I know that might be a lot for some, but you can play with the ingredients and get it down a bit. I dont eat lunch so i eat a bigger breakfast, i usually eat around 700 cals for breakfast, so this actually leaves me room for some eggbeaters too :)

I might add some chopped pecans or a tbs of nut butter tomorrow am, not sure yet. Damn, i cant wait to eat these :>
  • chastysumer
    Options
    Bump!!!
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    i'm intrigued...bump for later
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. I tried it last night. Tastes great made with Greek yogurt and blueberries!
  • Todzilla7
    Todzilla7 Posts: 24
    Options
    Just did this for the first time last night and was pleasantly surprised... Here's the mix I used and the caloric content:

1/2 cup of oats
    2/3 cup of skim milk
    1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt
    1 tablespoon of Walden Farms Whipped Peanut Spread
    1 tablespoon of honey
    1 serving of Muscle Milk Whey Protein Powder (chocolate)

This makes 2 servings of overnight oatmeal... The consistency was a bit runny, but very tasty. The recipe I used as a base called for Chia seeds, which I've ordered on Amazon, but haven't gotten yet. The chia seeds will make the texture more consistent. Very good and extremely healthy snack meal... especially good cold in the Texas heat!

Each serving:

Calories: 245
    Carbs: 32 grams
    Protein: 28 grams
    Fat: 3 grams
    Fiber: 2.5 grams
  • Danielle817
    Danielle817 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • robshipp
    robshipp Posts: 4
    Options
    bump
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Yummy recipes! Thanks for sharing. :tongue: :happy:
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!:smile:
  • DNC92
    DNC92 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bump!:love:
  • Abays10
    Abays10 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Made my first batch last night (love the mason jar idea) I am still waiting on my chia seeds from amazon as well. i think im going to make the "base" the oats yogurt and milk the night before and then add whatever yumminess i want in the morning I am very Excited about this
  • RunnerFive
    RunnerFive Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump!