I am about to get controversial..

Options

Replies

• TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    I believe we should allow physical discipline back in the schools. Put yourself in the shoes of the teacher, this child is being completely rude and has a complete lack of respect but all you can do is take it or send them to the principles office where they get to sit in "timeout" and get out of class for the day.

Whine all you want but look at the differences between schools from those days to now and parents need to know not every child can be disciplined with timeouts. Discipline is like everything else, what may work for some may not work for others.

I need to ask... Do you have children? I don't hit my child and if anyone else put their hands on my son I would lose my *kitten*. In my experience, children with behavior problems tend to have a lack of discipline and follow through at home. This is not a blanket statement. Is my son perfect,? No, but he knows what is and is not acceptable behavior. If he misbehaves, there are consequences and he knows it.

I have a 12 year old, for lack of a better word, stepdaughter and a one year old son. My stepdaughter is very well behaved and my son, well he's a one year old.

Now let me ask you a question... have you seen this video? If I saw a kid acting like this in front of me I would want to spank them myself. Despite how your child may act not every child is as well behaved and why is it we expect authoritative figures to care for, teach, watch over, and help our children but they can't discipline them?

I might as well clarify, I am not talking about letting the teachers spank the children for something minuscule, I'm talking about when the child is acting as seen in the video or worse. And I might clarify I am also not talking bent over the knee WHACK, I'm talking about a smack on the back of the hand or something along those lines.
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    Why would anyone want to hit a child?? :noway:

You don't want to hit a child just like you don't want to ground them but certain actions require different punishments. My kids knew well and good that a spanking meant they really messed up. I can count on one hand how many times I needed to spank but I can count on one finger how many times they did what they did to earn it.

Sigh. The emphasis was on child.

Why would anyone hit a child?

Is that better? Forget the "want" part.

Hitting a child is abuse, spanking a child is abuse. Most of those who can't/won't see the difference don't have kids but agendas. My son learned the meaning of "Mercy" when I sent him upstairs for a spanking and when I got there I told him I was going to have mercy and not spank him even though he knew his behavior warranted it. From then on he always begged for mercy, luckily he was old enough that he didn’t cross that line many more times.

Fixed that for you.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options

"Want to"??????? There is never a wanting to.... for me. I "want" to be friends with my boys - but I tell them my job is to be a mom first and if we can be friends too that would be fabulous!

Oh dear. So people can see the error in "wanting" to hit a child. But not the error in just hitting a child? Oooh dear.

Hey - how's the view up there on your high horse? It's probably pretty awesome, you know...with the breeze and all.

I am thinking she is not a parent.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I had to write sentences and endure the disappointed of my parents if I screwed up.

Worked just fine.

Wait... i'm screwed up, so scratch that. :drinker:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I believe we should allow physical discipline back in the schools. Put yourself in the shoes of the teacher, this child is being completely rude and has a complete lack of respect but all you can do is take it or send them to the principles office where they get to sit in "timeout" and get out of class for the day.

Whine all you want but look at the differences between schools from those days to now and parents need to know not every child can be disciplined with timeouts. Discipline is like everything else, what may work for some may not work for others.

I need to ask... Do you have children? I don't hit my child and if anyone else put their hands on my son I would lose my *kitten*. In my experience, children with behavior problems tend to have a lack of discipline and follow through at home. This is not a blanket statement. Is my son perfect,? No, but he knows what is and is not acceptable behavior. If he misbehaves, there are consequences and he knows it.

I have a 12 year old, for lack of a better word, stepdaughter and a one year old son. My stepdaughter is very well behaved and my son, well he's a one year old.

Now let me ask you a question... have you seen this video? If I saw a kid acting like this in front of me I would want to spank them myself. Despite how your child may act not every child is as well behaved and why is it we expect authoritative figures to care for, teach, watch over, and help our children but they can't discipline them?

I might as well clarify, I am not talking about letting the teachers spank the children for something minuscule, I'm talking about when the child is acting as seen in the video or worse. And I might clarify I am also not talking bent over the knee WHACK, I'm talking about a smack on the back of the hand or something along those lines.

What's wrong with teaching kids to stand up for what's right? To step in when someone else is being a jerk? To help prevent bullying?

My 3 1/2 year old understands right from wrong. When we watch tv shows or movies, like Kung Fu Panda, and she sees someone picking on someone else, she says, "That's not nice!" to the tv. She doesn't like seeing things that she knows hurt people either physically or emotionally and she tries to stop it.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I think the problem has more to do with people not actively teaching their children respect, kindness, and compassion. The rest usually falls into place.

Yes! And parents wanting to be thier child's friend instead of disciplinary. You can still have fun with your child and talk about life but you have to draw the line between friend and parent.
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    These are preteens. Fear of spanking does not keep them from doing such things... instilled values and morals do. However, if my child (regardless of age) chooses to make poor decisions, they are never too old for spanking or whatever punishment fits for the action/child.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Can we stop with the "Oh you don't believe in spanking? You must not have children." No. Some of us just know how to use our words.
  • Sockimobi
    Options

"Want to"??????? There is never a wanting to.... for me. I "want" to be friends with my boys - but I tell them my job is to be a mom first and if we can be friends too that would be fabulous!

Oh dear. So people can see the error in "wanting" to hit a child. But not the error in just hitting a child? Oooh dear.

Hey - how's the view up there on your high horse? It's probably pretty awesome, you know...with the breeze and all.

I am thinking she is not a parent.

Wait, you're thinking? :noway:

The breeze is wonderful. The view, however, isn't.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options

I am a firm believer that treating your child like a human being, yet, starting young, create a strong foundation of consequences for actions is necessary. Nowadays, I feel there is no consistency and follow up for mis-behavior. And more parents are interested in making money than giving attention to their children. Even though you may be spanking that child, at least you are paying attention to them. Children shouldn't have to resort to poor behavior to obtain their parent's attention.

What do you mean parents are interested in making money- both parents working?
  • Dadof8
    Dadof8 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

You don't want to hit a child just like you don't want to ground them but certain actions require different punishments. My kids knew well and good that a spanking meant they really messed up. I can count on one hand how many times I needed to spank but I can count on one finger how many times they did what they did to earn it.

Hitting a child is abuse, spanking a child is Discipline. Most of those who can't/won't see the difference don't have kids but agendas. My son learned the meaning of "Mercy" when I sent him upstairs for a spanking and when I got there I told him I was going to have mercy and not spank him even though he knew his behavior warranted it. From then on he always begged for mercy, luckily he was old enough that he didn’t cross that line many more times.

Fixed that for you.

Had it right the first time but nice try.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options

What's wrong with teaching kids to stand up for what's right? To step in when someone else is being a jerk? To help prevent bullying?

My 3 1/2 year old understands right from wrong. When we watch tv shows or movies, like Kung Fu Panda, and she sees someone picking on someone else, she says, "That's not nice!" to the tv. She doesn't like seeing things that she knows hurt people either physically or emotionally and she tries to stop it.

And I'm sure she'll never do anything bad in her life, ever, or be mean to anyone in her life, ever. :flowerforyou:

The thing is, you can teach your kids all the values and morals you want, you can give them every right answer and show them every right path, but in the end, it is their choice to walk down that path, to make the right choice. Not every child is always going choose the right path, even yours.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options

Then congratulations, you're doing your job as a parent but not every parent does as such.
  • lg3703
    lg3703 Posts: 190
    Options
    As an adult who used to be an abused child, I will never, ever, EVER hit my children. I don't hit my dog. I don't hit other people. To resort to laying a hand on another being only displays your lack of ability to deal with the situation in a constructive manner, which just shows weakness, not strength. And your children don't respect your opinions and your requests, they are simply afraid of you.

I am a firm believer that treating your child like a human being, yet, starting young, create a strong foundation of consequences for actions is necessary. Nowadays, I feel there is no consistency and follow up for mis-behavior. And more parents are interested in making money than giving attention to their children. Even though you may be spanking that child, at least you are paying attention to them. Children shouldn't have to resort to poor behavior to obtain their parent's attention.

I'm not saying this is your case, or anyone's in particular. This is my opinion based on what I have seen. And how I have felt.

I do not believe those children wouldn't have bullied the bus monitor if they had been spanked. I believe they wouldn't have bullied the bus monitor if their parents had showed them the consequences of hurting someone's feelings.

Aplause!!!! When your child gets its modeling from tv... well, there's your sign!
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Spank or not is your choice.
    I asked and received plenty growing up.

I think the issue with kids these days is lack of respect towards other adults.
    Is it lack of spankings? I personally don't think so.
    I think is has to do with the lack of respect adults show each other.
    Dad to Mom, friend to friend,etc.

What children see is what they emulate.
    Just my thoughts........

I 100% agree with this.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Can we stop with the "Oh you don't believe in spanking? You must not have children." No. Some of us just know how to use our words.

Can we stop with the "Oh, you believe in spanking? You must be a horrible, uneducated, moron of a parent." Thanks. :wink:

The one time I got spanked as a child by someone who was not either of my parents, was by a nanny I had. She spanked the crap out of me because I convinced my older sister (yes, I convinced her, I was the mischievous one.) to leave the park and try to walk home, which was miles and miles away from our nanny's apartment. So when she drove down the road and found us walking down the highway, she brought us back to her apartment and whooped our butts. Yeah, I learned a lesson that day. Shocking.
  • Sockimobi
    Options

Hitting a child is abuse, spanking a child is Discipline. Most of those who can't/won't see the difference don't have kids but agendas. My son learned the meaning of "Mercy" when I sent him upstairs for a spanking and when I got there I told him I was going to have mercy and not spank him even though he knew his behavior warranted it. From then on he always begged for mercy, luckily he was old enough that he didn’t cross that line many more times.

Fixed that for you.

Had it right the first time but nice try.

If you had it right the first time, you wouldn't be spanking your kids.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This is one of those adorable topics where you need to learn to "Agree to Disagree."

I have never spanked my child. But, I do sleep with him *gasp*! And, I let him eat whenever he wants *double gasp*!

Call CPS.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    i spank, i have no fear of arrest. i leave no hand prints or marks or black and blue bruises. HUGE difference.
    my choice. i also do timeouts, or take away sleepovers and such... depends on the situation... its my choice and it works!
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Spank or not is your choice.
    I asked and received plenty growing up.

I think the issue with kids these days is lack of respect towards other adults.
    Is it lack of spankings? I personally don't think so.
    I think is has to do with the lack of respect adults show each other.
    Dad to Mom, friend to friend,etc.

What children see is what they emulate.
    Just my thoughts........
    100% agree with you on this one! :frown:
This discussion has been closed.