Do you "check in" when your weight goes up?

Options

Replies

• vic72
    vic72 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I do the same, I log my weight once a week whether it's up or down. it's all about being honest to myself as this has been my problem with eating in the past.
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Usually just losses, and refuse to get near the scale this week TOM.... but if I went more than a few weeks with a consistent t gain I'd probably record it
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I absolutely log my gains. I have to hold myself accountable otherwise, THIS, is never going to work. Logging that number makes it real and makes me work harder.

I think NOT logging it is the worst thing you can do.
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    I was not good on vacation and gained 3 pounds. I adjusted my weight up. Kind of felt guilty presenting myself as someone who lost more than they did because it was my fault I put 3 back on. Plus, I can be proud of myself when I lose that 3 pounds and get to adjust down.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday and I record it everyday, whether gain, loss, or nothing. I know it sounds obsessive/excessive, but I like seeing all the numbers plotted on the chart :smile: . Generally, my weight doesn't fluctuate more than 1/2 lb at a time, sometimes as much as a full pound, usually on high sodium days.

This is me except mine fluctuates more than that.

MFP doesn't record mine on the feeds though because it is everyday. When I see a good loss, sometimes I announce it myself.
  • pdj1220
    pdj1220 Posts: 175
    Options
    I record every loss, but only a gain if it lasts for three days. Usually I can trace a slight gain to salt intake, and if I flush myself with lots of water and watch salt it resolves after two days.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I record and type in one or two days a week - this way if I have a pattern I can see it (i.e. hormonal, etc.). Also, it allows me to see what type of foods or exercise may be helping or hindering. I also weigh myself everyday - but don't record it. This is just for my own wellbeing to see that I am working hard and doing the right things and to keep me motivated...
  • drudh12
    drudh12 Posts: 2
    Options
    No. I am on a weight LOSS journey. My weight flucates as well. I only record when I lose. I do weigh daily, which keeps me in line. I record the weight gains in my head:).
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    It depends. If I'm up because I ate 500 calories and 6000mg of sodium in Chinese food, I don't log it. If I'm up because I ate 5 BBQ sandwiches and a bunch of cake, I log it.
  • bassanne
    bassanne Posts: 56
    Options
    I only record the losses, as MFP will record the gains, and when you loss that 2lb's again, MFP puts that into my total lost. So if I'm at 24lb lost, gain 2, log it, then loss 2 again, it now shows that I have lost 26lb's, I only want to see the actual amount I'm down from the beginning.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every weekday (colleague has a body fat scale at work) and I log the weight here and in RunKeeper every day. I remember to update Nike+ about half the time (like right now!).

I'd rather have accurate stats about my body, and be able to correlate periods of plateau, gain and loss with my food/exercise intake around that time, than pretend a couple pounds didn't hop back on.
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Yes! I weigh in on Wednesdays... And if it goes up I log it. And If it goes down, I log it. It's not about de-motivation or depressing myself... it's about being Honest with myself. Maybe once a week is too often, maybe I should do once every two weeks, but whatever that weight is on Wednesday, I log it. If I don't, I'm just lying to myself.

This - except my day is Monday!
    x
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day when I wake up. I used to record it every day so that I could use the progress report to spot trends. But I got tired of getting congratulated every time I gained weight and repost the same weight. Now I record when I've beat my previous record, but I also go back and edit the previous entries to add the weight gains and subsequent relosses. For instance, I would go from 193.6 to 192.8 and it would report an .8 lb loss. Then I would gain 1.2 to get to 194. Then I'd Lose .6 to get to 134.4, then .6 to get back to 192.8. MFP only reports the losses to your friends, so I'd get credit for losing 2 lbs., when I really lost only .8.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course I note the gains. Otherwise you keep yourself in denial. Use the site right or don't use it at all.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I only record the losses, as MFP will record the gains, and when you loss that 2lb's again, MFP puts that into my total lost. So if I'm at 24lb lost, gain 2, log it, then loss 2 again, it now shows that I have lost 26lb's, I only want to see the actual amount I'm down from the beginning.

I didn't realize it did that. I'm glad I only record the losses then.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course I note the gains. Otherwise you keep yourself in denial. Use the site right or don't use it at all.

Seriously? Get over yourself.
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options

I didn't realize it did that. I'm glad I only record the losses then.

I record both, it tells me I've lost 28 pounds, which is what i've lost from the beginning.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I only check in when my weight is a prime number or divisible by 3.

YES, GOOD ANSWER!
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I log my weight every few days, no matter what it happens to be that morning.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I log whether its up or down.