Do you "check in" when your weight goes up?

Options

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. I really don't anymore because if I gain weight then lose it and it gives me the "Valerie lost x pounds" on the news feed, that's not really accurate.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I'm convinced that weighing oneself several times a week and logging every weighing over time makes a person so mindful and so invested in the process that s/he doesn't want to have to log a 5, 10 pound gain and it affects how s/he eats and exercises.

A psychology professor once told me about a regime in Japan in which people wrote down everything they ate and their weight That WAS the diet.
  • angimac
    angimac Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself most mornings, but Saturday morning is my official "check-in" day... and on that day, I log whatever the scale says, up or down. The past 3 Saturdays were gains, and not only did I log them, but I posted them on my news feed. This morning, I was down 2.2 pounds of the 4 I'd gained in the past 3 weeks, so YAY me...

If I only log the losses, I'm not being truthful to myself and I'm not using the tools provided by MFP in the way that I feel like I need to use them.

YMMV
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Since I only weigh myself once a week, I add losses and gains. If I don't put it down, I feel like i'm hiding from myself. Plus, who's to say I will lose it all off again? I want my weight loss tracker as close as possible to true.
  • beautybandit1
    Options
    Yes... I am honest about what I put on MFP. If not, then how can I go back and see what I've done differently and make changes to eating habits or up my exercise, etc? That's what has worked for me... but everyone is different!
  • polarlove
    polarlove Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day just to see how I'm doing, and then I log once a week no matter what the number is. my progress chart is a mess :laugh:
  • adbohls
    adbohls Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I log everything to stay honest to myself. I also make sure I weigh myself in the morning before I have eaten to make sure that there is more consistency. Since your weight can fluctuate during the day, if you weight one day in the morning and then the next time at night, you will experience a false gain.
  • bjbex
    bjbex Posts: 24
    Options
    I weigh in once a week and log in if I lose or gain xxxx
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to, so yes I do. I love how mfp tells me how much I will weight in 5 weeks if I kept doing what I did on that particular day. Some days it's great to see the potential weight loss. However on the days where I have really just blown it, it's a much needed wake up call. I can't do what I did on that day and still expect to accomplish my goals. I think when you log your weight gains, it keeps you honest.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    No!
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Monday morning, and I "check in" with that weight, when it's down and when it's up.

As others have said, if you don't log the gains as well as the losses, you aren't being honest with yourself. And that whole denial thing is what got us into this pickle in the first place. Same goes for logging everything I eat or drink, even when I've been bad. Seeing the numbers in black and white is what keeps me focused. To "ignore" the overeating or the weight gain is like sweeping dirt under the carpet, or like a little kid squinching the eyes closed and covering the ears, the theory being if we can't see it, it never happened. But it did, and lying to ourselves doesn't make it go away.

If I'm truthful with myself in logging and checking in, then my self respect stays intact, and I can see the correlation between what I eat and do and how it affects my weight. I can take the blame on myself for the not so good days and weight gain, I can see how medication and other health issues affect the weight loss/gain, and I can take the credit for my smart choices and weight loss.

In the long run, with or without input and support from others, I'm the one in control, so it's important to see it all truthfully and clearly.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Yup - I record them this way it helps me to see patters...I am not at the point of plateauing yet though so I could change my mind later :laugh: I think each of us need to do what we are comfortable doing - so if you want to record it - record it - if not, don't!! Just don't give up!!
  • Najay
    Najay Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Nope only the losses. If my ticker hasn't moved< its due to a gain or this stupid plateau I'm fighting.
  • pesigrandi
    pesigrandi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I only weigh every other week on payday and always first thing in the morning so I have a consistent base to compare. I will always put in the actual amount whether it's plus or minus. Since I have only about 20 pounds to lose i expect to lose more slowly than someone who has significantly more to lose.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    of course i check in when my weight goes up. or i might as well just tell my self I am 30 lbs ligther than I should be and eat jink food.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I always add weight because I'm pretty sure it affects calories burned for exercises in the database (I'm sure someone mentioned that at some point)
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    If I've "earned the gain" by poor eating or not tracking or just not exercising, then YES, I do. It holds me accountable and allows for the proper calculation of my caloric needs based on my new weight.

But, if I've been "on track" and it appears to be a fluctuation, NO, I don't.

:)
  • FCHW
    FCHW Posts: 35
    Options
    i record all of them :) even if i gain, its just being honest with yourself. :)
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I weigh once per month, but I only log losses. Not because I'm ashamed or in denial, but because it frustrates and discourages me to see that number on my ticker constantly going up and down, up and down... It helps me remember that, even though I may have gained or stayed the same, I was at the weight listed on my ticker just a few weeks ago. I WILL get there again, I've just gotta keep working at it.

Thank you.........I'm about the same.

We all have our OWN path in this journey..........what works for YOU might not work that well for me. I'm old enough and smart enough to KNOW what got me here - and whatever works to make it better is a GOOD thing. A lot of judging going on here, and who needs that?

My FRIENDS know where I'm at. I am very accountable to them.....not to the whole of MFP-land.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course I note the gains. Otherwise you keep yourself in denial. Use the site right or don't use it at all.

Denial? Oh eff no, that is the LAST thing I am in when I "don't use the site right". I don't use this site to make friends or have people tell me good job. It is for myself. Since I am the one who is butt *kitten* naked on that scale in the morning you can be sure that if I see an increase that I am NOT in denial.

I record my losses. :)

And who says what's RIGHT or WRONG about how to use this site?

sheesh........some people.......................

I guess if I've lost 23 lbs, I'm doing SOMETHING right..............

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: