Random stuff that stops me getting fat... and makes you fat

Options

Replies

• debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I don't think the man was preaching perfectionism at all. Simply stating some cold hard truths that most of us write off with excuses. I think the point of his post is to tell folks to dig deep and be honest with yourself. Sure, everyone screws up or makes a choice they wish they hadn't that slows them down or leads to another problem. The point here is to not make excuses for your failures, but to be honest and learn from them. After all, if you're not being honest about what you eat, what you do, how you think about food, etc, you're not doing yourself ANY favors.

It started off that way, but then the post went waaaayyyy south. Having fat friends doesn't keep/make you fat. He spent an entire post talking about owning your choices and then threw in that bomb that was so fat-phobic it was unreal. My fat friends have absolutely ZERO influence on my food choices. Sometimes, it's my "healthy" friends who want to order pizza or eat a bag of chips. It isn't just the eeeevil fatties who make poor choices.

Also, fat people CAN be happy. I don't wallow in depression because I'm fat. I'm losing weight because I want to be more healthy, not because I hate myself. I have a billion other things that comprise who I am. My weight is only a percentage of what makes me ME. Yet another thing that shows how much he loathes and detests fat people.

The OP makes me sick. I hope to god he never ends up with some disease, stuck in a wheelchair, because then he might become the thing he detests most.

If anything, the man has a sense of humor!!!! This thread got way too serious, way too fast. GEEEEEEEEZ!!!!!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    So, anyhow, I disagree with your opinion that "there is no bad food", because I believe, in my own humble opinion, that certain foods are potentially bad for you even in "moderate" amounts.

Such as?

Partially hydrogenated oils?

^ This is one of the few food items that, while I don't absolutely avoid 100%, I try and limit. I actually don't know whether or not there's evidence to conclude that it's harmful even in the smallest of doses.

Does anyone have anything on this?
    There are plenty of trans fats that are actually naturally occurring. As with all other kinds of fat, not all trans fats are bad. CLA is actually a trans fat. There is no evidence of it being bad in smallest doses.
  • tigersword
    Options

However, muscle doesn't burn that many calories at rest, and cardio burns far more calories than strength training or a muscled person resting.

Sorry but... I call BS on this one!

Moderate intensity cardio DOES burn calories, but only while you're doing it. Once your session is over, the burn stops. Weight training on the other hand, you burn probably twice as many calories post-workout as your 30 minute cardio session, and even more depending on the intensity of your workout. Sprint and high intensity interval training are the best cardio for fat loss, although, running is certainly fine for keeping you in shape, not to mention healthy cardiovascularly. Look at it this way (and I only have love for runners!!!): marathon runners are SKINNY. Sprinters are RIPPED. There's a reason why. Your body can't adapt to high intensity training no matter how hard you try, lol. You'll always burn more that way in the long run (no pun intended).

Love the original post!

It always drives me nuts when people say it's expensive to eat healthy. I have one word for them: gardening. Want fruit and veggies in abundance at virtually zero cost? Grow them! It's really not hard. Humans have been doing it for a while, so even the dimmest bulb can figure it out.

Also, learn how to cook. You don't need to become a gourmet chef, but understanding how to boil water, cook an egg, broil a chicken breast, or steam some veggies can go a long way. The greatest Christmas present I've ever gotten (seriously, no joke) was a Better Homes & Gardens Cook Book, $20 at Walmart. Took me from loathing have to prepare a meal to absolutely LOVING it.

Thanks for posting!! Very funny and very true! :drinker:

ETA: It's too expensive NOT to eat healthy. Can you say medical bills? Unnecessary trips to the ER? Medications? etc... Not to beat a dead horse, but this saying truly does apply here: an ounce of prevention is worth *at LEAST* a pound of cure. Think about it when you're hankering for Mickey D's... (YUCK!)
    Cardio burns more than strength training, minute for minute. Yes, strength training has a bigger after burn, but it also burns far less calories during the activity than cardio does. 30 minutes of high intensity cardio may burn 500-600 calories, with a little bit of an after burn. 30 minutes of strength training would burn about 100 calories, plus a 300-400 more for the after burn. It still isn't more than the intense cardio session.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I do agree with the OP about junk food though. We don't need it. Ever. I have managed 35 years without ever eating at McDonalds and am THRILLED about it. It's not food any more than cardboard is food. Why people persist in paying money for that rubbish baffles me.

Very occasionally I get stranded somewhere where literally the only vegetarian option is chips (like today for example, at a landrover convention, I had to eat them or faint (I was there for 8 hours walking around in a muddy field, I was starving - I had half a portion), but unpredictable one offs like that aside (happens to me maybe 3 times a year), it would never even cross my mind to eat fast food, as it doesn't register on my radar as food. That goes for Subway as well. There are very very few situations where you have no healthy choice.

BUT

While I am on the subject, why at an outdoor event, miles from anywhere, would the only food options be ice cream, bacon rolls, hamburgers, doughnuts and fries? Does it not cross the people who organise these things minds that some of might like ACTUAL FOOD? Even the drink options were Fanta, beer or coffee. And I am allergic to oranges. Oh, and was driving. I was SO HUNGRY by the time we got home.

sounds like great options to me. but, then, I'm ok with paying for/eating cardboard.
  • lisajo91
    lisajo91 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    thanks for the information, I dont think your a jerk, I thought the information you gave was very helpful :)
  • jrwatson87
    jrwatson87 Posts: 66
    Options
    fast food originated in the 50's, not 70's
    fat people do not encourage others to be fat...sometimes fat people eat the same as thinner people but have pre-existing conditions or hello, just a slower metabolism?
    in a perfect world, fast food, chocolate, etc might be totally eliminated but chances are you are going to have encounters with them if you ever want to socialize with others
    if every fat person followed your commandments, they would never stay on long enough to achieve their goals
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I'm bored because it's raining again so I thought I'd put down random points I believe keep me thin and make the larger person plateau and fustrate the hell out of me on MFP...

If you record calories you have to record everything including drinks... everything!

You can't cheat calories - just the way you can't cheat your bank balance, consume to much you will end up broke

Portion control - You are probably eating too much... way too much - get some scales and weigh things. You know when you finish your cereal and theres a bit left over at the end .. that's a full portion.

Diets are designed not to be sustainable - this keeps the company in business. You have to make lifetime changes

All fad diets are calorie control and don't fix your eating issues

If you are losing weight on a fad diet - it is working for you because it is controling your calories- there isn't some macro magic bullet

You can eat too little - It's a hard one to take in - but a biggie ... but dont use it as an excuse to eat too much.

Piging out once a week as a treat - you will fail (calories)

Fast food makes you want more food (sugar)

You don't need to cut down on fast food (Burgers, Pizzas, fried food) you should NEVER eat them - people did just fine for millions of years without burgers

Thats right - look at fast food ads on the TV like they are asking you to lick the urinal at your local bar

Since the 70s people are fatter - back in those days you couldn't buy much fast food or food outside working hours - think about it!

When you see bad food, don't crave think to how sick and fatty you will feel after you have eaten it - I love battered fish and chips - never eat it because I think how greased up I will feel after

It is NOTexpensive to eat healthy

Make food yourself from base ingriedients. Ready meals .. I refer you back to how to think about fast food

Muscle is more imortant than cardio - muscle eats fat for breakfast

You are not happy fat

Your metabolism is no slower than the next guys or gals

You never need to eat chocolate or crisps, etc.

There isn't a ripped muscly person underneath all your fat - muscle takes years to build, toned people aint lucky - they work their *kitten*' off

Likewise if you are female do not be afraid of weight training - you are not going to turn into a hulk overnight

If you are still a bit saggy you aint lost enough

BMI is rubbish for many justifiable technical reasons - but in your case it's probably spot on

Sex is awesome when you aint fat.

Healthy people don't eat much (compared to you)

3 or 4 hours exercise a week makes a massive difference - Anyone can spare 3 or 4 hours a week

Fat people encourage people to be fat. Correct weight people are good to be around

Food does not make you happy or cure all your problems. Stop whining, we all have problems, sort out your problems directly - not with food

If you have a positive relationship with food and work on it a lot you aren't obsessed - trust me to be fat, that is obsession

Feel free to add......

I agree with everything you said. Great post!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    mostly you come off as a stereotypical jerk.

^^
  • tigersword
    Options
    I do agree with the OP about junk food though. We don't need it. Ever. I have managed 35 years without ever eating at McDonalds and am THRILLED about it. It's not food any more than cardboard is food. Why people persist in paying money for that rubbish baffles me.

Very occasionally I get stranded somewhere where literally the only vegetarian option is chips (like today for example, at a landrover convention, I had to eat them or faint (I was there for 8 hours walking around in a muddy field, I was starving - I had half a portion), but unpredictable one offs like that aside (happens to me maybe 3 times a year), it would never even cross my mind to eat fast food, as it doesn't register on my radar as food. That goes for Subway as well. There are very very few situations where you have no healthy choice.

BUT

While I am on the subject, why at an outdoor event, miles from anywhere, would the only food options be ice cream, bacon rolls, hamburgers, doughnuts and fries? Does it not cross the people who organise these things minds that some of might like ACTUAL FOOD? Even the drink options were Fanta, beer or coffee. And I am allergic to oranges. Oh, and was driving. I was SO HUNGRY by the time we got home.

sounds like great options to me. but, then, I'm ok with paying for/eating cardboard.
    The real question is, how can you honestly judge the quality of something you've never had?
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    fast food originated in the 50's, not 70's
    fat people do not encourage others to be fat...sometimes fat people eat the same as thinner people but have pre-existing conditions or hello, just a slower metabolism?
    in a perfect world, fast food, chocolate, etc might be totally eliminated but chances are you are going to have encounters with them if you ever want to socialize with others
    if every fat person followed your commandments, they would never stay on long enough to achieve their goals

I don't think fat people do eat the same as thin people, though. I think that is a total myth. For a one off meal, maybe, but I usually find I am really surprised by how much people who are bigger than me eat, and likewise, when I spend time with my very thin sisters, how little they eat. I think metabolism is largely a myth, and I think there is a fair bit of evidence to back me up. I also think a lot of larger people greatly underestimate how much they eat, and I think a lot of thin people claim to eat "all the time" but are in fact eating tiny amounts, so although they may be putting things in their mouth often, it's not a lot each time.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options

BUT

The real question is, how can you honestly judge the quality of something you've never had?

Because I have eyes.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    huh.

(my eyes also tell me tofu is nasty, nasty, nasty. though, I'm gonna try some in a nice dip recipe I found.)
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    Options
    I agree 100%
  • tigersword
    Options
    huh.

(my eyes also tell me tofu is nasty, nasty, nasty. though, I'm gonna try some in a nice dip recipe I found.)
    If we only used our eyes, we wouldn't eat 95% of the food we do on planet Earth. I mean, octopus? Tofu? Figs? Mushrooms? Celery root? Geoducks? Durian?Crawfish? Truffles? Sea Urchin? Snail? Offal? Man, the list goes on and on of foods that look absolutely revolting but are usually healthy and tasty.
  • queenofgrey
    queenofgrey Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    this is a whole lot of awesome.
  • ConstableOdo
    ConstableOdo Posts: 104
    Options
    I agree with all except that I don't need chocolate. I am woman, chocolate is necessity! lol

It's possible to eat a reasonable amount of chocolate. I did 13 grams today. Every nibble was delicious... No more though. That has enough calories as it is.
  • grnice
    grnice Posts: 96
    Options
    Is this guy for real? Maybe the next time it rains you should get a hobby.
  • Mishadijo
    Mishadijo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Good exchange. Big believer in calories are the core and if you keep them in check you will hit your goals. All the external stuff beyond that does not work for me. However, we are all at different places in the struggle so I ain't judging anyone, and if something seems to work to help people get things under control thats all good. But very much agree think there is a lot of hype on fads and miracle diets. My philosphy is keep it simple. More than anything YOU need to make your health your priority, and keep it as one, period. Everything else falls into place if you do that with vigour and consistency. My thoughts anyway.

Love the frankness and thought provoking comments. Thanks for sharing, some good wisdom in there.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, thanks for all the positive posts and direct messages about my post. It really was a case of I had some time to type out a list instead of going running because our county was slowly flooding. It is a list of conclusions I have come to and picked up over my journey from 300lb with a lot of denial along the way. It's a list that if you think makes me a jerk I suggest you look quite closely at yourself, I suspect you may be wondering why your weight loss has plateaued and your sugar coating advisers are not helping you.

If I come across as arrogant then I'm happy with that because it's lack of confidence that got me to 300lb

I don't stick to my list 100%, I wish I could. I had chocolate today and have eaten too much this week. I haven't had a fast food burger in two months, takeaway pizza in a month and I would just like to share with the many people on here who like I have struggled with weight loss that this is more how it has to be if you want to succeed. NOT cutting down takeaways from 6+ to 1 or 2 a week - completely giving them up!

To the bigger negative points which I think come from some people insisting on seeing the negative side to anything...

Cheat days defeat the fact you are changing your eating lifestyle for life - you should not be forcing yourself to do something you don't want to - therefore a cheat day shouldn't be needed or wanted if you have done things properly.

Actually MOST people do have the same metabolisms. I think we could probably frame this one as the all time number one excuse !?

People aren't generally less active nowadays (compared to 50s to 70s) portions are bigger.

I don't think cardio is pointless. just for fat loss strength wins

Stating fat people encourage people to be fat does not imply I am in need of diversity training. It's a fact, larger people will have a different daily profile to correct weight - it's as simple as this. This also covers the argument that thin people eat a lot... well in my experience fat people are generally going to be in an eating situation socially so this will be how it appears to them.

It also doesn't come as a surprise that it is often the larger person (judging from profile statistics) who doesn't like this kind of post. Those who do see some point to this - good luck with attaining your goals, I hope this post helps a little.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Ok - where to start. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpoAtwVyzZI This video will cover the 'diet' issue. Anything artificial is BAD for the body, it confuses the brain. It can also alter your bodies calorie burning function. Artificial chemicals have a disastrous effect on how our body's run, they cause medical issues and are generally are just a dire way to eat. Havent you ever wondered why we are getting sicker as a population? Its because these are pumped into everything.

The weight loss thing being ultimately down to hormones - of course a deficit plays a part, but when you start to get to that plateau or several plateaus it is not just simply a case of cutting your calories. For example - Surely, if I’m consuming 2000 calories a day less than the calorie charts tell me I’m allowed to eat then I should be able to lose well over 200lbs in a single year, shouldn’t I? And what if I were only 185lbs to begin with, would I actually disappear by the end of 12 months? See my point? The body is too clever for that, hormones are the main game players. Keep your body fuelled with clean food, all natural and it will start to shift. I am speaking from experience. I am trying to drop my body fat percentage lower - I eat only natural foods. Recently I've lost 8 pounds all of which were fat mass - my muscle mass has increased.

Do you still think I am not serious?

Your support is a youtube video? Um...no thanks.

And 8lb of all fat mass, eating at a deficit and gaining muscle mass......mmm - ok.

ETA: I would be very happy to learn from any scientific sourcesyou care to provide that indicates that artificial sweeteners and processed foods do all the thngs I raised in my earlier question (slowing metabolism etc) - learning is a good thing.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=artificial-sweeteners-confound-the-brain

http://tc.engr.wisc.edu/uer/uer98/author2/index.html

For a start, these studies are about aspartame, not processed foods in general.

@saltatoria did a great job of explaining why the article in Scientific America does not support your claims (and far more eloquently than I would have done)

Regarding the second link: http://tc.engr.wisc.edu/uer/uer98/author2/index.html:

Extract:

"Conclusion
    .....To date, no substantial evidence indicates that aspartame harms the rest of the population." (rest of population = those without the genetic disease phenylketonuria)

I have still yet to see studies showing what you are inferring.