Respecting men

Options
emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
I read some research yesterday that said if they had to choose, over 75% of men would rather be respected than loved.

Without debating whether or not this is true, I am curious as to HOW men feel respected by their partners ie what can women do to show respect/admiration etc for the man in their life??

Replies

• mommy2AR
    mommy2AR Posts: 2,802 Member
    Options
    Ive read that as well... but I think they said appreciated instead of respect in the one I read. It will be interesting to hear what is said :)
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    make sammiches
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Here's my opinion on respecting your man.

Shut up!

We run our mouths too much. Being heard is wonderful and I'm not advocating being a doormat. Sometimes giving them the space they need to BE the man...with no lip and loving support...is the best way to show you honor, respect and trust them.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I'm busy making my guy a sammich. :grumble:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Can you love someone you don't respect?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Yes.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options

Shut up!

We run our mouths too much. Being heard is wonderful and I'm not advocating being a doormat. Sometimes giving them the space they need to BE the man...with no lip and loving support...is the best way to show you honor, respect and trust them.

PREACH!!!!!

A man wants to feel like a MAN not a boy. Even though sometimes we have childish ways.

A GREAT woman will know how to make a man feel appreciated even if he did something wrong. I Left my momma's house.
  • emmab0902
    Options

I can't.

But that wasn't the question.
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Now this should be interesting.....

I would have thought what they mean by men preferring to be respected is.....by acknowledging their feelings, thoughts, interests etc. Just the same as us women like to be respected with our views / opinions, independence, trust, feelings, how we interact with men, common interests, doing simple, little things for them without being asked such as a hug or smile or making them laugh.

But in saying all the above, these can also fall into the love catergory, as without the above, a relationship may not work. Actually I guess it falls into any type of relationship be it friendship or intimate relationship.

In my opinion I think men would like to be both loved and respected. The same as woman would want. Or have I got all the above wrong?

The word respected does not mean (in my view) being controlled or ordered about - that's a whole different level that just isn't healthy.

Again, its gonna be interesting seeing the differnet comments.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Shut up!

PREACH!!!!!

She can't. She's gotta shut up now.
  • LivetoRun07
    LivetoRun07 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I think it has to be a balance of both. There are just certain things you should/shouldn't do. I am engaged, so I am learning from other people how to keep things going. I think a lot of problems arise from lack of respect on both sides, and just not working as a team I guess.. I try go by these:

1) No nagging.

2) No degrading, especially in front of friends, or his family

3) I try to be encouraging and supportive of everything

4) Space!!!!

We hardly ever have fights because of these 4 things.

I think it is so important that both people have respect and that both people respect their relationship/marriage,etc.
  • SunshineDieter
    Options
    My friend's boyfriend recently went on a stag party and she was livid the whole night (even though he didn't do anything). He would have gotten a good mouthful from her if he'd complained about the facebook pics of her dancing with a male stripper on the hen party the following week though.

Poor bloke :(
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

:laugh:
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Most people like to be in charge of their lives and have the final word. When they say "men want to be respected," what they usually mean is "Males think they DESERVE to be in charge and have the final word." I kinda take issue with that.

I respect everyone, male or female, by being honest, being my own authority, and taking responsibility for my actions. Apparently that makes me some kind of uppity feminist.

Oh, and, forget the sandwiches. Everyone loves a fresh-grilled hot dog.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    When you ask for my opinion, take it onboard rather than dismissing it as asinine. That's a good start :)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

:laugh:

:wink: :flowerforyou:
  • emmab0902
    Options
    My initial thought was it would be about complimenting, encouraging etc and making him feel competent and dare I say it powerful. But I guess it also includes trusting him, respecting his space, and treating him with respect ie honesty, faithfulness etc.
  • xiala
    xiala Posts: 50
    Options
    Respect him as an individual - a fellow human being.
    Don't spend his money like it's your own.
    Don't sweat the small stuff.
    Leave the toilet seat up.

;)
  • slobkat
    slobkat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    We should just respect each other as people. Gender has nothing to do with it.
  • slobkat
    slobkat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My friend's boyfriend recently went on a stag party and she was livid the whole night (even though he didn't do anything). He would have gotten a good mouthful from her if he'd complained about the facebook pics of her dancing with a male stripper on the hen party the following week though.

Poor bloke :(

Sounds like she got some jealousy issues going on! I really hate that, she would be livid if it was the other way around and he was dancing with a female stripper yet it's ok for her to do it? Nah pal!