Respecting men

Options

Replies

• foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I think it has to be a balance of both. There are just certain things you should/shouldn't do. I am engaged, so I am learning from other people how to keep things going. I think a lot of problems arise from lack of respect on both sides, and just not working as a team I guess.. I try go by these:

1) No nagging.

2) No degrading, especially in front of friends, or his family

3) I try to be encouraging and supportive of everything

4) Space!!!!

We hardly ever have fights because of these 4 things.

I think it is so important that both people have respect and that both people respect their relationship/marriage,etc.

You've hit the nail on the head. lol. That's exactly some of the things that make a partnership work. All about teamwork.
  • foodfight247
    Options
    Ooh) What you want
    (Ooh) Baby, I got
    (Ooh) What you need
    (Ooh) Do you know I've got it
    (Ooh) All I'm askin'
    (Ooh) Is for a little respect when you come home (Just a little bit)
    Hey baby (Just a little bit) when you get home
    (Just a little bit) mister (Just a little bit)

I ain't gonna do you wrong while you're gone
    Ain't gonna do you wrong (Ooh) 'cause I don't want to (Ooh)
    All I'm askin' (Ooh)
    Is for a little respect when you come home (Just a little bit)
    Baby (Just a little bit) when you get home (just a little bit)
    Yeah (Just a little bit)

I'm about to give you all of my money
    And all I'm askin' in return, honey
    Is to give me my profits
    When you get home (Just a, just a, just a, just a)
    Yeah baby (Just a, just a, just a, just a)
    When you get home (Just a little bit)
    Yeah (Just a little bit)

Ooh, your kisses (Ooh)
    Sweeter than honey (Ooh)
    And guess what (Ooh)
    So is my money (Ooh)
    All I want you to do (Ooh) for me
    Is give it to me when you get home (Re, re, re ,re)
    Yeah baby (Re, re, re ,re)
    Whip it to me (Respect, just a little bit)
    When you get home, now (Just a little bit)

R-E-S-P-E-C-T
    Find out what it means to me
    R-E-S-P-E-C-T
    Take care, TCB

Oh (Sock it to me, sock it to me,
    sock it to me, sock it to me)
    A little respect (Sock it to me, sock it to me,
    sock it to me, sock it to me)
    Whoa, babe (Just a little bit)
    A little respect (Just a little bit)
    I get tired (Just a little bit)
    Keep on tryin' (Just a little bit)
    You're runnin' out of foolin' (Just a little bit)
    And I ain't lyin' (Just a little bit)
    (Re, re, re, re) 'spect
    When you come home (Re, re, re ,re)
    Or you might walk in (Respect, just a little bit)
    And find out I'm gone (Just a little bit)
    I got to have (Just a little bit)
    A little respect (Just a little bit)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRS24e3op3JpWF4tQaGMGGNam6qMVzFWkxX2iznBSOJ6wEhppbEzYNfk6RKeA

That's one of my all time fave songs. Haven't heard it in a while.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    We should just respect each other as people. Gender has nothing to do with it.
    +1
  • annahiven
    annahiven Posts: 185
    Options
    Maybe guys would appreciate it if women didn't answer questions on their behalf.

My two cents.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Respect is ultimate basis of any form in a relationship. If given, equate it in response. Never expect it.
  • foodfight247
    Options
    We should just respect each other as people. Gender has nothing to do with it.

Yep, I also agree with this. Can be hard tho in a world where male and females see different views on the same thing, in a world that's so competitive and driven.
  • foodfight247
    Options
    Respect is ultimate basis of any form in a relationship. If given, equate it in response. Never expect it.

I like your answer.
  • AmericanCowboy76
    AmericanCowboy76 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I lost my wife three years ago in child birth and I miss her terribly. One of the things I miss is how she respected me. She treated me as her hero, but confided all her troubles in me. She respected me enough to listen to mine without judgement and only offered advice when I asked for it. She let me make my mistakes but raised her objections if she thought it was bad for our family. She doctored me but didnt call me stupid when Iabout broke my face getting flung off a bull. But she loved me to. But the respect is what was most important to me.
  • foodfight247
    Options
    Maybe guys would appreciate it if women didn't answer questions on their behalf.

My two cents.
    [/quote

agree but very interested to see how us women respond.
  • OhKelsey1
    OhKelsey1 Posts: 139
    Options
    Most people like to be in charge of their lives and have the final word. When they say "men want to be respected," what they usually mean is "Males think they DESERVE to be in charge and have the final word." I kinda take issue with that.

I respect everyone, male or female, by being honest, being my own authority, and taking responsibility for my actions. Apparently that makes me some kind of uppity feminist.

Oh, and, forget the sandwiches. Everyone loves a fresh-grilled hot dog.

THIS. And now I must leave this thread, because I can feel the steam coming out of my ears.
  • foodfight247
    Options
    I lost my wife three years ago in child birth and I miss her terribly. One of the things I miss is how she respected me. She treated me as her hero, but confided all her troubles in me. She respected me enough to listen to mine without judgement and only offered advice when I asked for it. She let me make my mistakes but raised her objections if she thought it was bad for our family. She doctored me but didnt call me stupid when Iabout broke my face getting flung off a bull. But she loved me to. But the respect is what was most important to me.

Really sorry about your wife. She sounds like she was a really nice lady.

Now that is how I tried to be with my ex....but my failing is that I sometimes don't take the lead (by that I mean in a good way - not a condescending you must do it my way)

Unfortunately it wasn't recipricated - he was too independent and preferred things done the way he planned them. I often followed or let things ride knowing there would be consequences...but allowed him to find out the hard way. And I never said I told you so.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

First of all, I am so sorry for your loss.
    I totally agree with you. My partner ( a man, we're both at a certain age where bf/gf sounds stupid ) and I are lucky to have a partnership like what you had with your wife. Someone else also already mentioned that we as women tend to talk too much and I agree, we do. Sometimes a man just needs to be listened to, not talked at. Sammiches help too lol
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options

My two cents.

Oh, you're right, the OP was asking strangers on the internet how she could respect them. Wierd. No wonder I misunderstood. :flowerforyou:
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Here's my opinion on respecting your man.

Shut up!

We run our mouths too much. Being heard is wonderful and I'm not advocating being a doormat. Sometimes giving them the space they need to BE the man...with no lip and loving support...is the best way to show you honor, respect and trust them.

PREACH!!!!!

She can't. She's gotta shut up now.

Winner. Winner. Chicken. Dinner. Some of these subservient women-esque responses are nauseating.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options

My two cents.

Oh, you're right, the OP was asking strangers on the internet how she could respect them. Wierd. No wonder I misunderstood. :flowerforyou:

No I wasn't. I was asking how men like to be shown respect, what makes them feel respected by their partner. I wasn't asking how I myself could respect them.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options

Shut up!

We run our mouths too much. Being heard is wonderful and I'm not advocating being a doormat. Sometimes giving them the space they need to BE the man...with no lip and loving support...is the best way to show you honor, respect and trust them.

QFT and agreement.

My two cents.

Quoted because this is exactly the problem that #1 addresses. :flowerforyou:
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options

Shut up!

The easiest way I've found to make him feel respected and to follow the rule above is to put something in my mouth besides words. Follow up with a sammich, and I never hear any complaints.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    When they say "men want to be respected," what they usually mean is "Males think they DESERVE to be in charge and have the final word."

Well, YEAH...'cause we own everything and make more money for doing the same work!

**gotta leave now...**
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    My initial thought was it would be about complimenting, encouraging etc and making him feel competent and dare I say it powerful. But I guess it also includes trusting him, respecting his space, and treating him with respect ie honesty, faithfulness etc.

I know this was for men to answer, but I agree with this. When I first started dating my most recent ex, I was always encouraging his goals, complimentary of his choices, and supportive of his needs and desires. I cared about him deeply and respected the man in him. As time went on and I saw more of his personality that I wasn't so fond of, that's when the cliche "nagging" and questioning of his choices came to play. As soon as I recognized I was becoming the type of woman I despise, I knew the respect was gone and I broke up with him immediately. If I lost respect for him, there's no need to continue further. I rather not waste my time or make him feel incompetent. The love was not enough.

So I totally can see why, if the choice was between the two, men prefer respect over love.
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Can you love someone you don't respect?

Totally and utterly NO!