What is your most embarrassing "fat" moment in your life?

Options

Replies

• blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    This one is actually something that happened to my cousin, but is just really bad...

She split with her husband a good few years ago and has gained probably 4 dress sizes since and I think was happily ignorant of it (like most of us are at some point) until recently.

Her husband was her childhood sweetheart, which means she has never really dated. She is in her 40's now but finds it all quite scary. She decided to go on one of these dating websites and set up a date with a guy at a local pub..

She went into the pub, saw the guy at the bar with a drink and felt too shy to say hello so went and found a table, thinking he would come over to her when he saw her.

What actually happened was he saw her (she saw him look at her out of the corner of her eye), downed his drink in one, walked outside and called her from the car park to tell her he couldn't make it.

She was beyond mortified. She has now dropped nearly 20lb so far.
  • zhanaolivia
    Options
    After my mum lost almost 20kgs in about a year, I realised I'd gained about 10kgs in the same time,she started to take back all of her pre-marriage/pregnancy clothes that she'd given me when she was too fat for them fat. I didn't fit in the anymore and she did again.

Then once I was saying goodnight to my dad and he just went "wow, it's like hugging mummy before she lost weight". Let me tell you, she weighed at least 15kg more than more than I do, and even now (when I weigh almost 10kg more than her still) we have the same waist measurements. It was so humiliating, and it coming from my dad was so horrible. I just cried and cried.
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    My worst was going on a blind date (after warning the guy I was big), he took one look at me and his face was full of revulsion. Instead of deciding to end the date then and there, he carried on, chose the movie, sat 3 seats away from me and at the end of the movie just walked off and left me in a dark street late at night.

Never dating again after that one.

What a creep! You gave full-disclosure so I wouldn't take his attitude as 'normal'. You can date, and find a great guy, at any size. There are plenty of men who would treasure you! Don't give up because you have one bad, ok awful, experience!

If it makes you feel any better, I had a similar experience about 15 years ago, but when the guy showed up at my office he was hands-down the biggest dork I'd ever seen. I decided to put on my happy face and give it a chance. We have lunch, lots of stilted conversation, then he returns me to work. I get an e-mail an hour later telling me that he could never be with someone who obviously didn't care about taking care of themself. LOL You just have to let those 'winners' go... :o)

I married a man who, while not necessarily loving my size, loves ME. He wants me to be happy and healthy! That's the type of man I want to be with.

If only it had been just one LOL

I am focussing on me, if a man comes along well and good but I will be fine on my own too :)
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Let's see - I too have a few:
    When my mother brought her overweight friend's "fat" clothes to me.
    When my mother in law said she didn't know what size shirt to get me so she went with the size she wore - and it friggin fit.
    When I see the pictures from my husband and I dating versus pictures of us now. (I was at like 150 then - but those are now my "skinny" pictures).
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    pretty much all of grade school.....teased mercilessly
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Went to pick up my smallish horse from the trainer, two inches bigger than a pony. Couldn't get on. Couldn't get on my own horse. In front of the trainer. Wow. Yeah, that was it for me.
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Walking towards the door of a shoe store, an African man was quick to open and hold the door for me. He was smiling, looking at my stomach... I smiled back hesitantly, and he said "Congratulations on the baby!"

I said "Thanks...", knowing good and damn well I wasn't pregnant... :(
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    My Dad was in the hospital and he was nodding in and out of sleep and suddenly he sat up, pointed at me and said: Pregnant.
    Then he fell back and was snoring....

My whole family was there and I was mortified.

I'll never know if it was the dress I was wearing that day, or the morphine he was on that made him say that in his sleep...either way, I have never worn that dress again! LOL
  • HondaGuy30102
    Options
    When I took my Honda 150cc scooter in for a warranty problem with the shocks and they told me they wouldn't pay for them because I was over the max weight limit for the bike in front of everyone in the waiting room. I decided it was time for a change - hopefully I can get it off before I kill this set of shocks to lol
  • b1505
    b1505 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Last year on my return flight from my holiday my seat belt wouldn't fasten and I had to have an extender belt...didn't help that my plane was full of really skinny pretty girls. Determined to not let it happen this year.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Getting some wicked horrible chaffing from my thighs rubbing together. I was 20 and that had NEVER happened to me because of my weight before. It was embarrassing, but it was also a pretty big wake up call.
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Oh lordy I have plenty...

When I was out walking with my husband, TRYING to get healthy, a car drove by with the windows down and I heard someone in the car go Oh my gawd, real loud.

Another time I was going to get my daughter from her bus stop. I had to walk about half a block or so and her bus came about 10 minutes after the high school let out so our street was pretty busy. A car with alot of teenage guys drove by and one of them and one of the guys yelled out the window "That's a fat *****".

I had just finished a walk at the park, was tired and sweaty and was resting on a bench. A car of teenage guys drove by and one yelled out the window "Where's the beef?

We went to the St Louis zoo. I was already feeling crappy, had a migraine and was on the verge of having heat stroke. I figured hey, we could ride the train since right now walking is not an option. Because of the migraine I could walk maybe 10 feet and felt like my head was going to explode. So...first...I had to go thru the stroller doors because I could not squeeze thru the turn stile. I tried to get on the train and could not fit. I was tired and crying and all these people just staring at me....so the people in charge come up to me and are like...you can sit in the first cart. it is open and bigger for wheelchairs...Gee! Thanks...I had my own private ramp and everything to get on. Seriously, I was so sick we just rode the train all day pretty much. I felt bad because I wanted to go and see animals. I wanted my daughter to have fun. But we mainly rode the train. Later that day, I almost passed out in the bathrooms and the shuttle had to take me, my husband and daughter back to our car.

I was a teenager, maybe about 18. I had talked to a guy on the phone and online for a while. We got along great. Had alot in common. Laughed. Talked. So we decided to meet. I drove a long way to meet him....when he saw me, he pretty much ignored me. He was talking to some of his friends and would not even talk or look at me. I was there with my sister, I think. So we left. On the way home, I tried calling him, this guy that I had talked to for hours on end on the phone. And he kept letting my calls go to voice mail. And trust me he wasn't a looker himself but I am a nice person. I figured we got along great on the phone, maybe we would in person too. But yeah....glad it didn't work out cuz I ended up with the hubby. 6' tall. Nice shoulders. Nice arms. Who loves me for me!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Being told by my bff's fiance that as long as she never looked like me, he'd love her forever.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    The highest I have ever weighed is 157 at barely 5'3. I had recovered from an eating disorder about a year prior. My metabolism was still extremely messed up, I stopped seeing my nutritionist when I went off to college and I quickly put on 30 pounds of fat after years of depriving my body of what it needed, it no longer knew how to handle eating like a normal person... I am sharing this in an attempt to lure those of you who go the "starvation diet" route away from that, because it's extremely ineffective and will only lead to weight gain in the future, and that's if you're lucky....if you're unlucky you'll have a heart attack or end up in the hospital some other way...ANYWAY...sorry for going off on that tangent...

Anyway for me there are two embarrassing moments.

1. Someone who hadn't seen me in a while just assumed I was pregnant. Asked me when the baby was due, I was 19 at the time as well and hadn't even had a serious boyfriend yet (all girls HS), anyway not only did she think I HAD to be pregnant, she didn't believe me when I said I wasn't and told a few people who told others so I had several people wish me luck with the baby telling me I looked great and knowing me I'd lose the weight quick once the baby came being so young... how I carried all my weight in my stomach and would lose that fast...

2. I was trying on dresses for some event, I actually forget what... I was probably a size 12 or so at the time, perhaps a little bigger because I don't carry by weight well...anyway I'd gotten used to being a 4 at my largest and a 00 at my smallest, so I insisted on trying a small 10...did manage to squeeze into it but when I bent down to strap on the shoes to see how it looked with them, it ripped straight down the middle, right at the *kitten*.The women in the fitting rooms was NOT very nice about it telling me I had to learn my size and not ruin their dresses, and they argued with me for 10 minutes about weather or not I'd have to pay...I also ripped my pants straight down the middle in front of a guy I really really liked at a party...

Looking back now I can kind of laugh at these memories but I also just want you guys to know that these starvation diets DONT WORK. You might think they do and the fact that you do lose a lot of weight at first is tempting but take it from someone whose been there and seen DOZENS of people go thorough the same thing...it doesn't work for very long and in the end you WILL gain a bunch of weight and it will all be fat ,and you will FOREVER struggle with your metabolism after doing irreversible damage to your body. It is not worth it!
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Guys who make fun of girls are jerks... but not all of them. (My boyfriend makes fun of me, but he's not a jerk). Anyway, it all started in grade school. I had a lot of people making fun of me back then, probably not just because of my weight, because I was a little odd anyway. :D My whole life is an embarrassing fat moment, so there is no single one that I can say.

Got better in high school, although I still looked bad. I guess I stopped caring. I didn't know what to do. It was stressful and angering not being able to figure out what to do to lose weight. I wasn't disciplined enough to give up things I liked, or knew how to eat more of the things I didn't much care for (but I like them now).

And now? It's still hard for me, personally. No one ever says anything bad, but my personal feelings about how I should look to the rest of the world and to myself and my boyfriend as well are a drive for what I do.

There are many days where I am very sad about how I look... like it'll never change. Then there are days where I can take on the world. I wonder if anyone feels like that... you never hear about stories like that from people, how their feelings are that other percent of the week they don't tell anyone.

The point of all this? My self-esteem has been damaged greatly, and it is going to take a lot to fix it. I don't know how much, because even when my boyfriend says I'm beautiful, I still don't believe him... it's a challenge all my own.
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Being told by my bff's fiance that as long as she never looked like me, he'd love her forever.

Girl, I think you're stunning! I'd be blessed to look like you! :flowerforyou:
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options

That's just nasty! And inaccurate, you FINE!
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Oh, oh, oh... I've got another one! ROFL... Why do I seem to have so many of these? :laugh:

Hubby and I went to Cancun on vacation. We call these our 'sanity week's' where we ditch the kids. Anyway, I'd always dreamed of swimming with the dolphins. So, we paid the fee for me to do so, and it was supposed to include a dorsal ride (which lasts apprx 3 seconds if that).

People had seen me when I bought the ticket, when I turned the ticket in at check-in, when they fitted me for the size large life-vest (they had sizes up to 3X), when they took me with the rest of the group, etc. All these opportunities to talk to me beforehand.

Anyway, it gets to be my turn for the dorsal ride and I was told to swim to the middle. Then I wait, then they called me back to the side again and asked me to wait some more. Finally, after everyone had had a turn, they told me that I was too big and they didn't want to hurt the dolphin. OUCH! They offered to let me do a double-kiss from 2 dolphins (so I could buy more $25 pictures from them) while my self-esteem was in the toilet. I said I didn't even care...

Ultimately they let me do a foot-push (where 2 dolphins each take a foot and push you up and across the water). I had seen several people attempt it and do horrible face plants and they had actually gotten instruction. I went to the middle, followed their quick directions, and damned if those 2 dolphins didn't get me airborne. Honestly, must've been my big booty because I stayed on until I was ready for the ride to be over. Triumph over tragedy, right? I still walked away feeling pretty pathetic, but at least I did better than anyone else.
  • ashleypford
    ashleypford Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My whole life ive been huge. My last name is Ford so the constant your the size of a Ford has always been fun. Once at camp I jumped off the diving board only to hear Free Willy being shouted at me. Once I asked for extra sauce and my mom called me a pig. That one still stings.
    Recently I laid down in the tanning bed and it broke. Everyone says it happens to skinny people they put their elbows and knees down and it breaks. Well It was just my fat butt that broke it. Also everytime i see my grandfather he tells me he wishes i would loose weight. I went to visit him in the hospital and stood there for 10 minutes while my uncle explained to me why i was fat and what i needed to do to loose weight. All i was doing was visiting my grandfather. I was so embarrased i ran out crying.
    I stand alot cause I am constantly scared of breaking chairs. I read the weight limit on those camping chairs and I am over it. We went camping and I stood most of the time.
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My whole life ive been huge. My last name is Ford so the constant your the size of a Ford has always been fun. Once at camp I jumped off the diving board only to hear Free Willy being shouted at me. Once I asked for extra sauce and my mom called me a pig. That one still stings.
    Recently I laid down in the tanning bed and it broke. Everyone says it happens to skinny people they put their elbows and knees down and it breaks. Well It was just my fat butt that broke it. Also everytime i see my grandfather he tells me he wishes i would loose weight. I went to visit him in the hospital and stood there for 10 minutes while my uncle explained to me why i was fat and what i needed to do to loose weight. All i was doing was visiting my grandfather. I was so embarrased i ran out crying.
    I stand alot cause I am constantly scared of breaking chairs. I read the weight limit on those camping chairs and I am over it. We went camping and I stood most of the time.

But you are 3lb less than you were :D Great start! x