What is your most embarrassing "fat" moment in your life?

Options

Replies

• amysuespears
    amysuespears Posts: 127
    Options
    When my ex-husband and I were in Wal-Mart shopping for clothes for my 3-month-old daughter.... I was going to go down an aisle but saw it was blocked... so, I started backing up to get back out of the aisle. He started saying "beep beep beep" (that noise that big trucks make when they back up) and then yelled "watch out, shoppers, wide load coming through". There were tons of people everywhere and they all started laughing. I was mortified.

Needless to say, the *kitten* and I are no longer married. My current husband would never act like that.

Glad your rid of him!

A guy said the exact same "wide load coming though" thing to me... To make it worse i was only 123 lb then! Then i got stuck in the yoyo diet phase.. putting on a LOT of weight by the end of it..

I'm glad he's gone... more than you could ever know! The best thing, tho, was that I had ran into him last weekend and it was the first time he's seen me in quite a while. He looked at me... smiled... gave me the "slow" once over.... looked me square in the eyes and said "hot". I looked him square in the eyes and said "not a chance, baldy" and gave him the finger. Felt great!!!!
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    When I weighed more than one of my ex boyfriends (to be fair, he pretty much existed on coffee, cigarettes and beer).
  • mandapanda001
    mandapanda001 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    My most embarrasing moment was realizing that I didn't fit into my favorite jeans in the whole wide world when I sat down and they split right on the behind, so embarrasing. Luckily I was only around my now ex husband so it wasn't too bad but even thought we had been married for like 8 years I felt somewhat mortified that I had let myself get so big.
  • mandapanda001
    mandapanda001 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    This was more of a personal disappointment rather than embarrassing. To be embarrassed you have to hold someone else's opinion pretty high, and for the most part I am not affected by other people's opinions. If an idiot were to call me fat, I would just consider the source of the comment. Its true, I am FAT. But it bothers me more about my personal journey instead of being bothered by what others think.

In my late 40's my doc suggested I get a stress test. They would do two tests. One on a treadmill (I dreaded the thought) and the other is a radioactive dye they inject and then take an x-ray. When I arrived for the test I had to get on a scale. That's when they told me since I was over 250 lbs they would have to conduct the dye test in two parts, one that day and one the next day. Something about it being dangerous to use enough radioactive stuff to get a good result in someone over 250. I've hovered at that 245-255 weight ever since, but it really was wake-up call that my heft was causing me other problems.

Now I'm once again trying to do something about it, and so far this is the best start I've had and I feel optimistic about my chances of sticking with it and actually achieving my goal of being under 200 again.

Great attitude about not caring what others think. I remember going to get my cholesterol checked and it was over 300 which is not good. I remember thinking I had better do something or end up with heart disease. That was definitely a deciding factor in my weight loss beginning.
  • SME1976
    SME1976 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    when i was younger probably about 13/14 and i was chubby at school and very low in confidence. I had a crush on a girl in my Spanish class, and i told her friend that i liked her. And she went across the room to tell the girl i liked, to which she shouted out 'euuurgghh as if i would go out with you' in front of the whole class! really hurt me and stuck with me for years. Funny thing was i saw the same girl i had the crush on at my local gym a few months ago, and she almost didnt recognise me, she was quite complimentary and flirty with me, i thanked her for her advances and then said no thanks!

Also many times at school being bullied from about 13-16 years old, the constant jibes and name calling by certain kids.
    Really sticks with you and still does today for me, even ten years later

Mine is simalar to this... around 14 I had a friend call the boy I liked and tell him I liked him and he said "Ewww that big fat ugly dog..." and the next day seemed everyone knew and were laughing at me. I still hold on to that "big fat ugly dog"... :(
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Last year, when I looked down and not only couldn't see my feet, but I couldn't see my "equipment". I knew then that I had to ditch my spare tire.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Some of these make me so angry. I can't believe people say such things!

The only comments I have heard come from family. My sister-in-law (who was back in her size 4's within weeks of giving birth) said something along the lines of "Wow all those carbs and your going to need new pants!" on Christmas morning. My mom (who recently dropped a lot of weight after having LapBand surgery) makes lots of comments. Those really piss me off because I have never been extremely overweight, and I have lost all my weight the old fashioned way (not that there is anything wrong with surgery, but she can't really compare her weight to mine, I still have a stomach!).

My doctor told me when I was about 145lb that the only way to alleviate my back pain was to lose weight. I cried, was pissed, and didn't listen. Once I hit 165, I figured out he was probably right.
  • Bunnie_Rex
    Bunnie_Rex Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Everyone has embarrassing moments. I know some are willing to share them and I respect your decision if you chose not to share. I have a TON of moments that were so embarrassing that my first thought was, " I really need to lose weight NOW!"

I'll go first since I started this......About 2 years ago I was at sixflags with some friends. The superman ride just opened that weekend and I wanted to ride it so bad. I was 316lbs at the time. I was able to ride a lot of the rides. I thought," I've ridden most everything I wanted to ride today so I'm sure I'll be able to ride the new superman ride." Of all my friends that went with me, only one was actually interested in waiting in the long line to ride it. 3 hours later it's finally our turn to get in the seat. There were 3 seat belts and 2 of the 3 did not click. I tried and tried to suck it in but it wouldn't work. Even 2 of the workers tried their hardest to make the seat belt click. It was bad enough that 2 workers were trying to get me in, but what made it worse is that one was saying things like ," try to push it in," and ," maybe hold your boobs in and suck in at the same time." Tons of people in line started laughing and I just wanted to cry. And to top it all off, when my other friends asked me how the ride was, I had to tell them that I waited all the time in line and had to get off b/c I didn't fit.

Now that I've shared, what your most embarrassing "fat" moment?

Same ride, similar story...Except I broke outta there quick, fast, and in a hurry before anyone could laugh.
  • love4ransom
    love4ransom Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'll share another story since I've gotten a lot of feedback.

I've always been SUPER tall for my age. When I was 5, I was 4"5, when I was 11, I was 5"8, and now I'm 23 and 5"11. At school they always did an annual height and weight check in the P.E class. I remember being 5 and I towered over ALL the kids. When I was waiting in line to get weighed, all the boys were saying things to me like, " I bet you're gonna weight over 100 pounds." Or they would say," Let's get weighed first b/c she'll break the scale." I started crying in line. I knew I was big. My mom cooked but she believed in having 2nd's. Plus we ate fast food at least 4 days a week.(needless to say both of my parents were big too). When it was my turn to get on the scale the PE coach just looked at me and said I was 95lbs. I was 5! That's way too big for a 5 year old. So what made it worse is the kids really weren't too far from the truth when they said they bet I'd be over 100 lbs. Shoot, at that rate, I was probably over 100 lbs by the end of that year.

I don't have children, but when I do I'm definitely going to teach them healthy eating habits. My parents didn't care that I was big. They always bragged at how good a eater I was. I can't blame them though. They were both raised eating everything fried and with lots of grease.
  • avalonms
    avalonms Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    No normally-equipped ski boat can pull me from the water.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Hands down, when both my loud mouth Uncle and my loving-but-naive grandmother both asked me, with MARKED enthusiasm: "ARE YOU PREGNANT?!!?!?"

To which I answered: F*** NO! I'm JUST FAT!
  • PrincessCelestia
    PrincessCelestia Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Everyone has embarrassing moments. I know some are willing to share them and I respect your decision if you chose not to share. I have a TON of moments that were so embarrassing that my first thought was, " I really need to lose weight NOW!"

I'll go first since I started this......About 2 years ago I was at sixflags with some friends. The superman ride just opened that weekend and I wanted to ride it so bad. I was 316lbs at the time. I was able to ride a lot of the rides. I thought," I've ridden most everything I wanted to ride today so I'm sure I'll be able to ride the new superman ride." Of all my friends that went with me, only one was actually interested in waiting in the long line to ride it. 3 hours later it's finally our turn to get in the seat. There were 3 seat belts and 2 of the 3 did not click. I tried and tried to suck it in but it wouldn't work. Even 2 of the workers tried their hardest to make the seat belt click. It was bad enough that 2 workers were trying to get me in, but what made it worse is that one was saying things like ," try to push it in," and ," maybe hold your boobs in and suck in at the same time." Tons of people in line started laughing and I just wanted to cry. And to top it all off, when my other friends asked me how the ride was, I had to tell them that I waited all the time in line and had to get off b/c I didn't fit.

Now that I've shared, what your most embarrassing "fat" moment?

I've always had a fear of this happening to me. It never has though, thank goodness. The most I have ever weighed was 235 pounds.
    I don't really have any embarrassing moments though.
  • cdavis73
    cdavis73 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well maybe they should just make the dang roller coaster seats bigger and the seat belts longer. That was my answer, I never dreamed so many others had the same answer. We were at Holiday World and I waited in line with my son who was anxious to ride the coaster. I was mortified when I got there and was too big to fit. I quickly jumped out in hopes noone would notice. Then had to explain to my friends why I didn't ride the coaster. I'm really wanting to go to Holiday World again soon but am so afraid that I still won't fit in the stupid seat and really don't want to relive that experience.
    Last summer, I went to a water park. I thought the poor girl working there was going to give herself a hernia trying to push my big butt down the water slide. That is why I made it one of my goals to go back to that same park and ride at the end of the season. I should be able to slide without hospitalizing any of the workers.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure. It's either the time someone video taped me and put it up on youtube and the guy I had a crush on in high school saw it and commented to me about it (he was totally nice, and it's totally stupid, but I was embarassed that I was now "fat" and he knew it).

The second embarassing "fat" moment was that someone video taped my surfing lessons and posted it on their blog. They were trying to pick on us for having taken lessons (you know, instead of just going out there knowing nothing because apparently thats a "smart" thing to do?!?!)....but i felt humiliated by that as well.

Of course, this doesn't count the five million times someone assumed or asked if I was pregnant. In public.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Like every other person in this thread, I was too fat to ride the rollercoaster. We should all go rollercoastering together once we hit our goals. THAT'LL SHOW EM.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    Options
    Gosh....I have had so many.
    I have a non-pregnant memory that sticks out. I was around 250lbs and before I became pregnant I carried the majority of my weight in my stomach. I was a big ole apple. Me and my hubby were at Magic Mountain. He insisted we go on the Superman Escapes ride (a ride I don't much care for) and I couldn't get my lap bar to snap. I started frantically telling him and I heard the ride operators (two of them ... one a skinny girl I might add) telling people that they need to strap in. My hubby heroically starts to say he doesn't want to ride anymore so they unbuckle him and we left. It was the first time in my entire life I could not strap into a ride.....

When I was pregnant I, at first lost 25 pounds from throwing up so much lol, and then I skyrocketed to 275lbs. I was bloated, swollen, and constantly in bed. But the most memorable moment (besides my doctor inducing me 2 weeks early because he thought my son would be a 10lb baby....he was 7 pounds 2 oz on a petite frame......cough....) was when I asked to receive my epidural. The man was in a rush to get home (it was in the middle of the night) and he kept telling me how I was probably too fat to receive the drugs. I was freaking. I was alone (because they kicked my hubby out of the room) and I was afraid things would start hurting. He said, "If I can't get it through your fat back this last time I am not trying anymore. You clearly have too much flesh." An 18-hour labor and a c-section later....that moment was the only thing that actually hurt me....

:( That's horrible. What a terrible person that guy is. I'm sorry.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    Options
    Like every other person in this thread, I was too fat to ride the rollercoaster. We should all go rollercoastering together once we hit our goals. THAT'LL SHOW EM.

this is a GREAT idea!!!!! I already picked the roller coaster for PNWers! The wooden one at wildwaves is KILLER!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    Options
    p.s. this thread is great. I enjoyed reading everyone's stories. The people who don't "get" that there is a privilege to being thin should read this. And people really really should learn to quit asking women if they are pregnant. It's just really bad social skills. come on!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I was walking down the street after dropping my son off at school, wearing a red shirt, when someone leaned out the window of their house and shouted "Hey, Kool-Aid!" and a bunch of people in the house laughed, as well as two people walking on the other side of the street. I was so humiliated, I refused to wear red for almost 10 years. I still don't feel quite comfortable in it...
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    Options
    It was a long time ago, but I asked this guy out in school and he said no. I asked him why, he said I was homely. I told him I didn't know what that meant so he gave me a dictionary to look it up, and then told me that I was also too fat and that the only cows he needed in his life were on his farm.

Homely: (of a person) Unattractive in appearance.

That was the first and last time I EVER asked a guy out.

that guy = loser!!!!