Sayings That You Just Don't Get..

Options

Replies

• tara_seay
    tara_seay Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

How are you getting the milk for free if you didn't buy the cow?!
  • jpcamden
    jpcamden Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You only live once.

No ****... I could have sworn I was gonna live twice.
  • StaceyG221
    Options
    How about this one (its supposed to make you all laugh)

"Dont get your panties in a bunch" my bf says it all the time.. so my new come back is.... "leave my wedgie out of this and stop looking at my butt you freak" ;p hahaha

Absolutely amazing! LOL!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    When people past the age of 12 describe everything as AWESOME. Expand your vocabulary!
  • Kanlassak
    Kanlassak Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    'You can't have your cake and eat it...'

WHY NOT?! If you are going to give me cake and tell me I can't eat it then why give it to me in the first place.

....I now REALLY want some cake!

EXACTLY!!! Id like to see someone put a piece of cake in front of me and try and stop me from eating it.. don't they realize im fat for a reason.. that reason is cake.. and i'll be damned if they try and stop my from eating some cheesecake!!

It's because the cake is a lie.

Also that ^ is a saying I don't get :I

It's a quote from the game Portal, that became an internet meme. Give it a few more years and it'll mostly disappear. Unless they make another sequel game.
  • luvs2teachincali
    luvs2teachincali Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My husband is a hillbilly from Missouri and he grew up with some strange sayings:

1) He/She is as rotten as a fence post. (I guess they have some OLD rotted out fence posts in the sticks? LOL.)

2) Your *kitten* is the blackest. (If he loses an argument and is found to not be correct. WHAT??)

So many more I can't think of. He's full of them. LOL.

Driving through Oklahoma City, OK once and stopped to get gas. An old man tipped his hat at me and said hello. Then he said, "COULDA GOT A BLUE ONE FOR A QUARTER MORE." I just smiled and looked at him like umm, ok? I got back in the car and told my husband and he laughed his *kitten* off. The old man laughed and shook his head at me as he drove off. I still don't get it!?!? My husband says he gets it, but yet is unable to explain it to me? I've asked others about it and they basically said that the old man was calling me spoiled because I had a nice, shiny, red car. I dunno though!? LOL!!!! I will NEVER forget that one.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    "It is what it is"
    I don't really get it.

YOLO
    That's not an excuse to do stupid stuff.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

WHY NOT?! If you are going to give me cake and tell me I can't eat it then why give it to me in the first place.

I've never understood that one either.

Its probably made sense 400 years ago.
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options

well apparently there is a large 'milk straight from the cow' theft ring going on that we don't know about LOL
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options

well apparently there is a large 'milk straight from the cow' theft ring going on that we don't know about LOL
  • liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options
    When people say 'unthaw' or 'dethaw' instead of saying 'thaw'. It's used widely where I live. I know it's not a saying, but I'm sure it drives grammar freaks crazy.
  • liss125
    Options
    I really hate it when people say "literally" and follow with something that is not literal.

I also hate, "That's so random."

Or "I did a 360" when they mean a 180.

Oh! I accidentally said, 'did a 360' instead of '180' to my son's teacher once. I felt like such a ding dong. Sometimes I hear things said incorrectly so often, I get confused myself :)
  • CassiusKnox
    CassiusKnox Posts: 305 Member
    Options

I've never understood that one either.

Its probably made sense 400 years ago.

I'm not sure why this saying is confusing everyone.

"You can't HAVE your cake and eat it too" means you can't KEEP your cake and eat it too. You can only do one or the other.

Obviously it is the meaning of the word 'have' that is confusing everyone.

Sorry if this thread is not intended for explanations... I just thought I'd try to help :drinker:
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    "just sayin" or "just saying".

WTF, just say it and be done. Don't be a *kitten* and say something totally stupid and pointless.
  • liss125
    Options
    "Bless her heart" or "I love her to death but"
    In the south either of theses phrases come with a really snotty comment about "her", such as, "Love her to death but she's so stupid she has to unhook her bra to count to twelve."
    I even heard a minister say his wife was just couldn't balance a checkbook, bless her heart!

Haha! I always say, 'God love her, but....' Usually referring to my mom or mom-in-law. Guess it does sound condescending.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Yeah, 'Just sayin'' is an odd one I come across a lot online - people seem to add it to suggest they are just making an innocent, random, cutesy comment with no hidden agenda, when they are actually being snarky. Kind of like 'no offence' after saying something rude.

A saying I don't get, but find amusing, is when people here talk about kicking the week's *kitten*. Being a bit of a literalist, I then turn my mind into knots trying to visualise the week with an *kitten* on it that can be kicked!
  • Melisamab
    Melisamab Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My husband is a hillbilly from Missouri and he grew up with some strange sayings:

1) He/She is as rotten as a fence post. (I guess they have some OLD rotted out fence posts in the sticks? LOL.)

2) Your *kitten* is the blackest. (If he loses an argument and is found to not be correct. WHAT??)

So many more I can't think of. He's full of them. LOL.

Driving through Oklahoma City, OK once and stopped to get gas. An old man tipped his hat at me and said hello. Then he said, "COULDA GOT A BLUE ONE FOR A QUARTER MORE." I just smiled and looked at him like umm, ok? I got back in the car and told my husband and he laughed his *kitten* off. The old man laughed and shook his head at me as he drove off. I still don't get it!?!? My husband says he gets it, but yet is unable to explain it to me? I've asked others about it and they basically said that the old man was calling me spoiled because I had a nice, shiny, red car. I dunno though!? LOL!!!! I will NEVER forget that one.

maybe he was refering to the color of his hat? :wink:
  • Melisamab
    Melisamab Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Although not technically a "saying", it really bugs me when people say "with" without finishing the sentance. As in:

"I'm going to the store, wanna go with?" OR "Dad went fishing and took the dog with."

with who?? with what?? :angry: Just because it might go without saying, doesn't mean you shouldnt say it. :grumble:
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I really hate
    " to tell the truth" and "i'm being honest now"
    As it means everything else said was lies, but you want to believe this next part....
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    He calls a spade a spade. What else would he call it, a fork?