Sayings That You Just Don't Get..

Options
ChelSleeve
ChelSleeve Posts: 144 Member
(Grammer freaks you WILL hate me..)

What are some saying you just find weird or completely wrong?? Dont forget to explain why!! This is supposed to be fun..
Please be nice and respect one another.. thank you!

"Drive it like you stole it".. if you stole a car.. wouldn't you want to NOT draw attention to the vehicle? I would think you would want to do the speed limit and use proper signals and whatnot so that there isn't any unwanted attention being brought to the vehicle so that the police don't notice the car..

And this is coming from a law enforcement dispatcher lol

Replies

• CurveAppeal86
    CurveAppeal86 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    "I could care less". Well yes, You could care less in fact. It should be "I couldn't care less."
    It burns my *kitten* to see it!
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Irregardless.

A woman at work says this all the time. In my head I am screaming "its just REGARDLESS". The two negatives (ir & less) cancel one another out.

and I agree with "i could care less". Think about what you are saying, people!
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    "The definition of insanity" saying annoys me. As in " the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and expecting different results." Well, it may be stupid or fruitless, but it's not the actual definition. Not to mention, I've seen it attributed to to both Einstein and Ben Franklin.
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    'You can't have your cake and eat it...'

WHY NOT?! If you are going to give me cake and tell me I can't eat it then why give it to me in the first place.

....I now REALLY want some cake!
  • ChelSleeve
    Options
    'You can't have your cake and eat it...'

WHY NOT?! If you are going to give me cake and tell me I can't eat it then why give it to me in the first place.

....I now REALLY want some cake!

EXACTLY!!! Id like to see someone put a piece of cake in front of me and try and stop me from eating it.. don't they realize im fat for a reason.. that reason is cake.. and i'll be damned if they try and stop my from eating some cheesecake!!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    "I could care less". Well yes, You could care less in fact. It should be "I couldn't care less."
    It burns my *kitten* to see it!

I could care less about your *kitten* :P

I ain't no _blank_. That one makes me giggle. Slang, I love you.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    "It is, what it is".

Ugh! I hate this. Is it? What is it exactly??

"You are just playing the game" - on reality shows other people complain that others are just there for the game.

Um... it's a damn game, what else are they supposed to be there for?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure the cake one originated in England but was actually said correctly: "You can't eat your cake and have it too."

We got it all mixed up in the USA. :cry:
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    "pull up your socks"......So it's meant to mean, "Stop being silly"

So are people that have their socks all scrunched up at the bottom notoriously silly?
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Back in high school this one guy really upset me every single time he said, "It is what it is, until it's not."
    What? Really?
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure the cake one originated in England but was actually said correctly: "You can't eat your cake and have it too."

Really? Heh! I've always known it as 'you can't have your cake and eat it' and I am British! :D
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    my family version is "you can't have your cake and penny too". Which makes more sense than either of the others quoted here.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    "YOLO" aka "you only live once"

...obviously, but why would I use that to justify doing stupid and/or unsafe things? If I'm only living once I darned well better enjoy and protect what I've got.
  • nwhitley
    Options
    my family version is "you can't have your cake and penny too". Which makes more sense than either of the others quoted here.

I've heard this too and it does make more sense.
  • ChelSleeve
    Options
    How about this one (its supposed to make you all laugh)

"Dont get your panties in a bunch" my bf says it all the time.. so my new come back is.... "leave my wedgie out of this and stop looking at my butt you freak" ;p hahaha
  • Cordy_in_CT
    Cordy_in_CT Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My ex husbad always says "I get it" - It irritates the hell out of me. What do you get?? He says it in response to the kids wanting to do things, that I don't necessarily agree with "I get it" - well guess what??? I DON'T GET IT!!!

Think of something else to say!

The other one - "Are you kidding me?" A fellow co-worker says it ALL THE TIME. Are you kidding me???? No, I'm not kidding!
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

Really? Heh! I've always known it as 'you can't have your cake and eat it' and I am British! :D

This did originate in England. It started out as "eat your cake and have it too. That got turned to the negative of you cannot eat your cake and have it too". What it means is that you cannot have the best of both worlds. You cannot eat your cake and still keep your cake!
  • nwhitley
    Options

This did originate in England. It started out as "eat your cake and have it too. That got turned to the negative of you cannot eat your cake and have it too". What it means is that you cannot have the best of both worlds. You cannot eat your cake and still keep your cake!

Interesting! I just assumed this came from the quote attributed to Marie Antoinette during the French Revolution "Let them eat cake".
  • huracan_mery
    huracan_mery Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    "YOLO" aka "you only live once"

...obviously, but why would I use that to justify doing stupid and/or unsafe things? If I'm only living once I darned well better enjoy and protect what I've got.

Ahh, the youngsters' version of carpe diem.
  • Foxypoo61287
    Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    "SERIOUSLY?!"

No I'm just kidding! OF COURSE I'M SERIOUS!