Sayings That You Just Don't Get..

Options

Replies

• blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    "YOLO" aka "you only live once"

...obviously, but why would I use that to justify doing stupid and/or unsafe things? If I'm only living once I darned well better enjoy and protect what I've got.

Ahh, the youngsters' version of carpe diem.

I dead leg my kid brother every time I hear him use 'YOLO'....
  • ishax24
    ishax24 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I hate when strangers walk past me and say "cheer up, it may never happen" .. what may never happen?!..
    You don't know my life so why even make any comment. I usually just respond with "it already has"
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Another youngsters one - when everything is prefixed with "like"

"and then he was like dead, seriously"

Well, was he dead or was he like dead but something less serious!

:laugh:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    "If you think about it, it's true."

So if you don't think about it, it's not true? I didn't know true and false were that wishy washy.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Zombies don't YOLO.
  • sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure the cake one originated in England but was actually said correctly: "You can't eat your cake and have it too."

We got it all mixed up in the USA. :cry:

Really? Heh! I've always known it as 'you can't have your cake and eat it' and I am British! :D

I'm British and I say "you can't eat your cake and have it too". I've never heard "you can't have your cake and eat it" lol :D
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    It's always the last place you look for it.

Well, no ****!
  • ChelSleeve
    ChelSleeve Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    "If you think about it, it's true."

So if you don't think about it, it's not true? I didn't know true and false were that wishy washy.

Sweet so if I think im skinny it automatically makes it true that I am skinny!!!!!!!! We have a cure to childhood obesity!!!!!
  • brittnicoledav
    Options
    "it's always the last place you look" hahaha, not sure why but i hate when people say this. DUH why would i keep looking for it after ive found it? lol
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I want to murder anyone who uses the phrase "way, shape, or form." There are few things that have multiple ways, shapes, and forms; depending on what you're talking about, you should be able to figure out what applies! My boyfriend was a horrible offender on this one until my screaming became too irritating, but now I have to work on what he's replaced it with: "and other what-nots."
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    "it's always the last place you look" hahaha, not sure why but i hate when people say this. DUH why would i keep looking for it after ive found it? lol
    The thing is, I'm pretty sure that's the entire point of the phrase, that it's meant to be a joke but for some strange reason, people take it seriously!
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    'You can't have your cake and eat it...'

WHY NOT?! If you are going to give me cake and tell me I can't eat it then why give it to me in the first place.

....I now REALLY want some cake!

THIS! I never understood this either. Why the hell is there a cake around if I can't have it??
  • jeanzbeanz
    jeanzbeanz Posts: 64
    Options
    "It was a real pain"

not that fake pain stuff.
  • grotas
    grotas Posts: 28
    Options
    In french "pas mal", is it good or isn't it ?!! :O
  • luv2garnets
    Options
    "The exception proves the rule."

Wouldn't the exception disprove the rule? I've never understood this saying.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Sorry Minnesotians, but 'Ya, you betcha' gets me. If I bet everytime I heard that in Minnesota, I would be broke!

Also, 'Colder than a witch's tit'. How cold is a witch's tit? Anyone feel one lately?
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    'You can't have your cake and eat it...'

WHY NOT?! If you are going to give me cake and tell me I can't eat it then why give it to me in the first place.

....I now REALLY want some cake!

EXACTLY!!! Id like to see someone put a piece of cake in front of me and try and stop me from eating it.. don't they realize im fat for a reason.. that reason is cake.. and i'll be damned if they try and stop my from eating some cheesecake!!

STEP AWAY FROM THE CAKE!!!! lol.... damn now i want cake and cheesecake.... sheesssshhhhhh... :tongue:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    When people misuse "literally." The numbers were NOT literally jumping off the page at you. The pounds are not literally falling off your body.
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My Dad uses 'at the end of the day' and then continues on to make a point which has nothing to do with the day's end.

and 'when it comes to the crunch'....the crunch of what please??
  • jeanzbeanz
    jeanzbeanz Posts: 64
    Options
    Why do things come from the "the bottom of my heart" ?