Sayings That You Just Don't Get..

Options

Replies

• Methinksabout
    Options
    I also know the one 'you can't EAT your cake and HAVE it, too" - so either I eat it, or i keep it :-) Am not eating anything right now! =]

What I just don't understand is 'head over heel' as in 'she felt head over heels in love with xyz' - erm, my head is always over my heels?? So why does it imply that she did something without thinking about it?? :huh:
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    When people misuse "literally." The numbers were NOT literally jumping off the page at you. The pounds are not literally falling off your body.

Hahaha... there was an episode of "How I Met your Mother" which had that as a running theme. It's figuratively folks!!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    and 'when it comes to the crunch'....the crunch of what please??
    This is all I think of when I hear "the crunch": http://youtu.be/6RqWkZvjzLA
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Also, 'Colder than a witch's tit'. How cold is a witch's tit? Anyone feel one lately?

That's shortened from "colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra." Metals feel cold to the touch.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Balls to the wall - makes me think of some poor men pressed up against a wall but it means working hard - something about ship machinery working really hard. My husband (machinist mate ex Navy says it all the time). If he only saw the poor picture in my head when he says that - hahaha.

And "I'm five-by-five." Faith used to say that on Buffy the Vampire Slayer all the time. WHAT DOES IT MEAN? lol
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    It irks me when people says, "Well, you know, muscle weighs more than fat..."

No, it doesn't! If you have a pound of muscle and a pound of fat, guess what? They both weigh exactly the same. We need to change the saying to something like, "Fat is greedy and takes up more room in your body" :laugh:
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    This is all I think of when I hear "the crunch": http://youtu.be/6RqWkZvjzLA

:laugh:
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    my family version is "you can't have your cake and penny too". Which makes more sense than either of the others quoted here.

My family is British.......that comes from the tradition of baking a cake with pennies in it, usually for birthday parties. :smile:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    'A calorie is a calorie'
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    My wife always says " Not tonight, I have a headache"..

Every freaking night? I just don't get it or get "It".
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    "It's to die for" Maybe your spouse, child or another person, but never food.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I hate when strangers walk past me and say "cheer up, it may never happen" .. what may never happen?!..
    You don't know my life so why even make any comment. I usually just respond with "it already has"

Also, I hate when I'm at work and my customers tell me to smile. I'm at work! Do YOU grin all day at work? When I get in a good mood, then ill smile.

I hate when people use acronymns for ENTIRE SENTENCES! I can understand "lol" or "omg" but I don't know what the hell you just said.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    My ex husbad always says "I get it" - It irritates the hell out of me. What do you get?? He says it in response to the kids wanting to do things, that I don't necessarily agree with "I get it" - well guess what??? I DON'T GET IT!!!

OMG, did I marry your EX? My hubby says this ALL the DAMN time - I hate it, because in his case, HE DOESN'T get.... if he got it and UNDERSTOOD IT, I wouldn't have had to say it a second (3, 4, ect) time.... argh
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    On the flip side of this... I wonder what 'weird' sayings we all use?

I know I have a few random things that I have just invented and say all the time.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    "It is, what it is".

Ugh! I hate this. Is it? What is it exactly??

"You are just playing the game" - on reality shows other people complain that others are just there for the game.

Um... it's a damn game, what else are they supposed to be there for?

Hey SC, VA here. "It is what it is" This must be a regional thing. I hear it ALL the time. I usually answer "Is it!?"........just to get a look :-P
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Irregardless.

A woman at work says this all the time. In my head I am screaming "its just REGARDLESS". The two negatives (ir & less) cancel one another out.

and I agree with "i could care less". Think about what you are saying, people!

HAHA! Stewie made fun of that on Family Guy once.
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    When people misuse "literally." The numbers were NOT literally jumping off the page at you. The pounds are not literally falling off your body.

This. I was on a bus a couple of weeks ago, and there was a girl sitting behind me who told her friend that she had literally died of embarrassment at a party the previous evening. I had to text my fiance to tell him that I might not make it home because there was a zombie on the bus.
  • stephanne82
    stephanne82 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    "I could care less". Well yes, You could care less in fact. It should be "I couldn't care less."
    It burns my *kitten* to see it!

This!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    And "I'm five-by-five." Faith used to say that on Buffy the Vampire Slayer all the time. WHAT DOES IT MEAN? lol

Five by five was originally used to define signal strength and clarity when communicating by radio. It was a scale of one to five for how strong the signal was and how clear it was. Five was the best so when people say five by five now it means everythings great. It literally means Loud and Clear.
  • Kath_21
    Kath_21 Posts: 19
    Options
    My Dad uses 'at the end of the day' and then continues on to make a point which has nothing to do with the day's end.

I'm not sure if you can post links on here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr36XDC6hmA
    If that doesn't work then search for Jeremy Kyle at the end of the day on youtube. It just shows how over used it is.