Sayings That You Just Don't Get..

Options

Replies

• Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I always hated when I would hear Dad say, "I'll give you something to cry about" when you are already crying.... Obviuosly SOMETHING is making me cry in the first place...even if you don't agree with it.

I know it's not necessarily a saying, but I get really irritated when people use the word IGNORANT to describe someone who is being rude, mean, etc. The word means that they are uneducated or uninformed about something not that you are mean!....

Which leads me to the saying "ignorance is bliss".... ummmm so if I don't know what the hell I am talking about, then I am happy?
  • lindseypro
    lindseypro Posts: 14
    Options
    "By the skin of your teeth"...meaning "just barely". Not only do I NOT get this one...but how DISGUSTING!!
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure the cake one originated in England but was actually said correctly: "You can't eat your cake and have it too."

We got it all mixed up in the USA. :cry:

I'm from England & all I've ever heard is "You CAN have your cake & eat it" I've never heard anyone use 'CAN'T' in that saying...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_one's_cake_and_eat_it_too
  • paigemarie93
    Options
    How about this one (its supposed to make you all laugh)

"Dont get your panties in a bunch" my bf says it all the time.. so my new come back is.... "leave my wedgie out of this and stop looking at my butt you freak" ;p hahaha

Haha, or "Don't get your knickers in a twist" if you're a UK northerner ;D
  • paigemarie93
    Options
    Bread and Butter and Duck under the table

WTF never ever ever got that one.

When I was a kid, if I asked what was for tea I got told "Duck under the table" sometimes I thought we were actually going to sit under the table & eat a duck, or I actually just ducked under the table lmao.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    "I Borrowed our rake to the neighor".

Umm...no...you LOANED the rake to the neighbor. He or She borrowed it from us! Grr....
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Anything related or pertaining to "bro". I get the concept, I just think it's stupid.

Pound my brofist, yo! :indifferent:
  • kayleighfred
    Options
    "I could care less". Well yes, You could care less in fact. It should be "I couldn't care less."
    It burns my *kitten* to see it!

This! Its saying that you DO care a bit,which is the opposite of what you're trying to say! Gets on my pip!
  • thoshowski
    thoshowski Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Irregardless.

A woman at work says this all the time. In my head I am screaming "its just REGARDLESS". The two negatives (ir & less) cancel one another out.

My boyfriend yelled at a client once for saying this repeatedly. It's his biggest pet peeve. His client now doesn't use the "word".
  • PShep17
    PShep17 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I hate when strangers walk past me and say "cheer up, it may never happen" .. what may never happen?!..
    You don't know my life so why even make any comment. I usually just respond with "it already has"

Exactly this. What do these folks know?
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I used to work with a girl who "took her baby a bath" and "took her dog a bath" Really? Where did you take them the bath? You must be really stong to be able to pick up an entire bath and take it to someone. You BATHE your baby and BATHE your dog!!! UGH!
  • noirnatural
    noirnatural Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    "Bless her heart" or "I love her to death but"
    In the south either of theses phrases come with a really snotty comment about "her", such as, "Love her to death but she's so stupid she has to unhook her bra to count to twelve."
    I even heard a minister say his wife was just couldn't balance a checkbook, bless her heart!

LOL....I have lived in Virginia and now Georgia and I hear that All the time!!
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    "Pot calling the kettle black". I understand the meaning, but I don't think I've seen many pots or kettles that are black?

I used to get it mixed up and accidentally say, "Coffee calling the kettle black", because that made more sense hahah

Also "Get over it". Oh thank you, kind sir! Now that you have said that, I feel so much better and don't care anymore!!

This comes from the time when pots (saucepans, stewpots) and kettles were both put over an open fire or on a range so they would both be blackened by smoke

and most likely made out of cast iron, which is black!
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I really hate "I could care less"

" Don't get your panties in a bunch"

and "Put on (or pull up) your big girl panties"-- this one I particularly hate. I have on my big girl panties, and that is probably why I am not so happy right now!
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    "Life is short" BS!! There are days when my life seems sooooo long...Mondays for example...
  • noirnatural
    noirnatural Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Saying that I never really liked or got:

" A closed mouth don"t get fed"
    Obviously not, but the reason I don't like this is because a really cheap guy said this in response to his girlfriend being upset he didn't do something for her..

"A half a loaf of bread is better than none"
    This just implies to me that you should just accept whatever you get...so not my style

"I promise you.."
    Usually angry people will say this during a heated argument as if their promises are going to scare you...lol..ie..."I promise you...you will not like what ima do..I promise you don't want to got there...ect. ect..."

On the other hand some of the sayings mentioned are my favorites"

"It is what it is."..when I say that it means ...I am done talking..you can take what I said and do you want, I have no further excuse nor explanation period.

"Believe and Trust"...I guess this is my version of I promise you...LOL..

"B*llsh*t"...enough said..lol

• tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is people who "Do the math" meaning to add up something.
    Maths people it's maths.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    One that I hated when I first heard it, but now find myself saying it all the time is

I know, right?

It's so pointless. But dog gone it, it's catchy.... yah, still hate it...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    UNr4ct8sZU-rkvye8X7hGQ2.png
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    A friend at work is constantly interjecting the words, "You know what I'm saying?" throughout every conversation we have. I have even tried saying back each time, "Yes. I know what you're saying." But she never blinks. Just keeps on talking and talking and saying that phrase! I start smiling as soon as she starts talking because everybody else in the office gets what I'm doing. :happy: :happy: