Sayings That You Just Don't Get..

Options

Replies

• korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I live in a state where a certain group of people say "jokes" when they are being sarcastic or not serious....It was one joke, it was not funny and now you sound like a bigger idiot drawing out the word jokes.....
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Six to one half dozen or the other

And I probably didn't say it right because I just think it's weird.
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My Dad uses 'at the end of the day' and then continues on to make a point which has nothing to do with the day's end.

and 'when it comes to the crunch'....the crunch of what please??

I'm not sure if you can post links on here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr36XDC6hmA
    If that doesn't work then search for Jeremy Kyle at the end of the day on youtube. It just shows how over used it is.

HAHAHAHA!!! LOVE IT!!! :laugh:

I went to quite a 'hard' school in my area and I've seen at least 2 people from there as Jeremy Kyle guests...oh the shame!!!:sad:
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Sorry Minnesotians, but 'Ya, you betcha' gets me. If I bet everytime I heard that in Minnesota, I would be broke!

Also, 'Colder than a witch's tit'. How cold is a witch's tit? Anyone feel one lately?

This officially made my day!!!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    When people misuse "literally." The numbers were NOT literally jumping off the page at you. The pounds are not literally falling off your body.

This. I was on a bus a couple of weeks ago, and there was a girl sitting behind me who told her friend that she had literally died of embarrassment at a party the previous evening. I had to text my fiance to tell him that I might not make it home because there was a zombie on the bus.

Lol! This is funny.

Sorry, I use this but it's usually to make fun of people. (Think Michael McDonald and Nichole Sullivan)
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Six to one half dozen or the other

And I probably didn't say it right because I just think it's weird.

It's " Six in one, half dozen in the other...."

6 is the same as a half dozen, so it means, "either way, it's the same".
  • mrsheavy
    mrsheavy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    "i slept like a baby"

what you woke up every 3 hours to feed and then cried if you didnt get your food quick enough?
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    "YOLO" aka "you only live once"

...obviously, but why would I use that to justify doing stupid and/or unsafe things? If I'm only living once I darned well better enjoy and protect what I've got.

Ahh, the youngsters' version of carpe diem.

How sad is it that our youngsters don't know what "carpe diem" is....and then you have to hear them saying crap like "YOLO".

Before you know it, people will only know how to speak and write text talk....UGH!
  • sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Where I am in the UK, when people are hungover and have a dry mouth they say "my mouth feels like a buzzards crotch"... Seriously? You've tasted one to know that, have you?
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Where I am in the UK, when people are hungover and have a dry mouth they say "my mouth feels like a buzzards crotch"... Seriously? You've tasted one to know that, have you?

:laugh: I've never heard that one but my mate from Sheffield once told me that his mouth tasted like 'old tramps boot'
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    "i slept like a baby"

what you woke up every 3 hours to feed and then cried if you didnt get your food quick enough?

LOL!!!
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    When I was in college, my roommate had a poster with a cute little kitten that said, "Please be patient. God isn't finished with me yet." I always thought it meant that if you want your turn with God, you've got to wait because he's still busy with "me". Now as an adult I finally figured out, it means "Please be patient.... with me" because God hasn't made "me" perfect yet.

Personally, I like "it is what it is." A perfect statement to describe the inevitability of the issue, you can't change it no matter what.
  • mormas
    mormas Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    A common one in Wales is "now in a minute" as in "I'll be there now in a minute"
  • sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

:laugh: I've never heard that one but my mate from Sheffield once told me that his mouth tasted like 'old tramps boot'

You'd think if he was drunk enough to try it, he wouldn't have remembered it right? :D Or was that when he was sober? Even scarier!!! Haha
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    "It could be worse"
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    "Eat like a bird"...Some birds eat half of their body weight in one day.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    "Pot calling the kettle black". I understand the meaning, but I don't think I've seen many pots or kettles that are black?

I used to get it mixed up and accidentally say, "Coffee calling the kettle black", because that made more sense hahah

Also "Get over it". Oh thank you, kind sir! Now that you have said that, I feel so much better and don't care anymore!!
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I prefer "You can't eat your cake and have it, too" to the more common "You can't have your cake and eat it too."

I know that it works grammatically either way, but I think it makes more intuitive sense my way.
  • kathybro75
    kathybro75 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Daft as a brush. What's daft about a brush?
  • Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    Options
    Bread and Butter and Duck under the table

WTF never ever ever got that one.