Sayings That You Just Don't Get..

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    My husband is a hillbilly from Missouri and he grew up with some strange sayings:

1) He/She is as rotten as a fence post. (I guess they have some OLD rotted out fence posts in the sticks? LOL.)

2) Your *kitten* is the blackest. (If he loses an argument and is found to not be correct. WHAT??)

So many more I can't think of. He's full of them. LOL.

Driving through Oklahoma City, OK once and stopped to get gas. An old man tipped his hat at me and said hello. Then he said, "COULDA GOT A BLUE ONE FOR A QUARTER MORE." I just smiled and looked at him like umm, ok? I got back in the car and told my husband and he laughed his *kitten* off. The old man laughed and shook his head at me as he drove off. I still don't get it!?!? My husband says he gets it, but yet is unable to explain it to me? I've asked others about it and they basically said that the old man was calling me spoiled because I had a nice, shiny, red car. I dunno though!? LOL!!!! I will NEVER forget that one.

He meant you could have gotten a blue car for just a quarter more, I think lol
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    "At the end of the day." I get it but I don't like it.

Do you simply mean "ultimately"?
    If you are really talking about the end of the day, when did it begin? 12 midnight? What time zone? Is it the work day? What about folks who work a graveyard shift? I could go on forever...
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have another: "I preplanned it".

If you are looking ahead and laying out strategy wouldn't just "planned" suffice? If you realy mean "preplan" wouldn't this mean it is before you come up with a plan and have no strategy at all?
  • liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options
    "At the end of the day." I get it but I don't like it.

Do you simply mean "ultimately"?
    If you are really talking about the end of the day, when did it begin? 12 midnight? What time zone? Is it the work day? What about folks who work a graveyard shift? I could go on forever...

Ugh! I can't stand when people say 'at the end of the day.' That has to be the one that irks me the most! Musicians are the main culprits of this overused saying. 'At the end of the day, we just want to make good music,' or something to that effect.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    You can lead a gift horse to water, but you can't look him in the mouth...????:noway:

That's two different sayings mixed up!
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
    Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. (which I have always thought was stupid)

Horses are evaluated by looking at their teeth. An experienced person can determine a horse's age by how their teeth have grown or worn down. Old worn out horses are not as valuable as young strong horses. If someone gives you the gift of a horse, you should accept the gift graciously and not examine it for flaws. "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" means to just be grateful for what you've got.
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I'm with the "I could care less" people. It's just plain silly.
  • rockermom5
    Options
    "Everything happens for a reason",

I'm sure...something happens as a direct result of something else. However, choosing to say that to a person who is grieving a loss is really not what they want to hear right now. A friend of mine made that comment to me regarding the sudden death of another dear friend's wife on Friday. I wanted to reach through my computer screen and throttle her.
  • d5d14m66
    d5d14m66 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    "My bad."

I understand what folks mean, but it irritates me. I always want to yell, "your bad what?"
  • luv2garnets
    Options
    "The exception proves the rule." I don't get this. A rule is constant. If there is an exception, wouldn't that disprove the rule?
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Irregardless.
    Actually, if you look up irregardless in the dictionary now, it says "regardless" . . .
  • robabob3
    robabob3 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    "Going off like a frog in a sock" This is an oldish saying from Australia, so you may not have heard it but I just love it haha.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    And "I'm five-by-five." Faith used to say that on Buffy the Vampire Slayer all the time. WHAT DOES IT MEAN? lol

Five by five was originally used to define signal strength and clarity when communicating by radio. It was a scale of one to five for how strong the signal was and how clear it was. Five was the best so when people say five by five now it means everythings great. It literally means Loud and Clear.

Ignore this logically response. The proper answer is that nobody knows what five-by-five means. Faith was crazy!
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options

Or spell a lot as if it's one word. (alot) It's two words. A lot or a little.

Whenever I see someone writing "alot" I think of this and it makes me giggle
    http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.ie/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html